English Mistakes that Annoy Me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 07:46 AM
English Mistakes that Annoy Me.
I use words that only appear in a particular dialect of English, I can't use commas correctly to save my life, and I make my fair share of mistakes, but some things just irk me. Feel free to share your pet peeves as well. I will probably add more as I encounter them.

1. Neanderthal/Neandertal. If you are a German you can use the last spelling as they officially changed the spelling of 'valley' in the early twentieth century, but if you're British, or your country is formerly of the British empire is should be the former. The thing that really bugs me is its pronunciation though. The th in Neanderthal is supposed to be said like a 't', the 'h' is the child of the word and should be seen, but not heard. People have been fucking it up so often that it's considered acceptable in many dictionaries, but it makes no goddamn since! The word comes from Neander, which is the name of the second person to discover their remains in modern times, and thal (now tal in German) meaning valley. Never was valley ever pronounced with the 'th sound'.
  2. Often. I do a complete reversal from the above scenario. It is officially pronounced without the 't' sound in most, if not all reputable dictionaries, however this doesn't stop most people I encounter from saying the word with the t sound loud and proud. It's all over TV as well. Now actually, if you go back far enough people are saying in its original pronunciation, but of course I don't like it. I like 'the middle' pronunciation for no good damn reason, I think it's just personal preference. Although the dictionary supports me here, I really don't care for dictionaries anyway. They try to box in a language, and I don't like it.
  3. Nauseous/Nauseated. People tend to use these interchangeably, but they do NOT mean the same thing. They are related words, with very different meanings. If you are nauseous you are causing nausea. If you are nauseated, then something that is nauseous has inflicted you with nausea.
That's all for now...I'll be back though.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Dark Light - 22-12-2012 07:46 AM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Vera - 22-12-2012, 09:05 AM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Vera - 22-12-2012, 09:33 AM
English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Erxomai - 22-12-2012, 10:20 AM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Vera - 22-12-2012, 01:07 PM
English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Erxomai - 22-12-2012, 01:16 PM
English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - Erxomai - 22-12-2012, 01:21 PM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - DLJ - 23-12-2012, 09:03 PM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me. - DLJ - 23-12-2012, 11:25 PM