English Mistakes that Annoy Me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me.
(22-12-2012 09:17 AM)Percepticon Wrote:  Misuse of the word 'of' !!! Angry It's "could HAVE" "should HAVE" "would HAVE" Not 'of'!

I also hate "waiting on" when it should be "waiting FOR." And "fixin' to" go do something.

My disclaimer, however, is that if someone was brought up in the English language, I have no patience for errors.....

.....And yet I have infinite patience for English mistakes made by non-native English speakers...and often find it endearing. Yes, I'm unapologetically biased about that. Blush
Racist Smile.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
22-12-2012, 11:51 AM
[Image: ALOT.png]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
22-12-2012, 12:44 PM
(22-12-2012 08:58 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 07:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...but it makes no goddamn since!
Beat_stick

This one--"since" for "sense"--is interesting to me.

With homonyms, people often substitute one for the other in writing, sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes out of carelessness. A lot of Internet authors don't seem to know that if you want the word that means "also," it's "too," not "to." In my own case, I sometimes find myself writing "your" when I mean "you're," or even "write" when I mean "right," even though I definitely do know better. It's a mental thing, having to do with how language is stored in the brain.

So if "since" and "sense" are homonyms--i.e. if they sound the same--that would explain DL's writing one when he meant the other.

But do they sound the same? Consider

For most speakers of English, no. They're just as different-sounding as "sit" and "set," "hill" and "hell," "big" and "beg," etc.

But for a large part of the American population, they are in fact homonyms. "Since" and "sense" sound exactly the same. So do "pin" and "pen," "Jim" and "gem," "kin" and "Ken," "lint" and "lent," . . . Linguists refer to this as the "pin-pen merger": the "short-i" and "short-e" vowels become identical before a nasal consonant. It's highly regional, occurring almost all over the South and in few places elsewhere, except that it's also a characteristic of a lot of African American speech. The map in the Wikipedia article I linked to is striking.

People who have this merger not only can't produce a distinction between "pin" and "pen," they can't perceive the distinction. My partner is originally from North Carolina and grew up in Virginia. He absolutely cannot distinguish in speech between "Pick up the pin" and "Pick up the pen."

I thought it was interesting that DL's typo betrayed his Southern roots. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
22-12-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm generally not bothered by word sense, verb tense, misspellings, subject-verb agreement, etc. I can usually figure out the gist.

I am bothered by punctuation mistakes because they can significantly change the semantics of the sentence. "Eats shoots and leaves." has an entirely different meaning than "Eats, shoots and leaves." Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-12-2012, 01:04 PM
People who get annoyed spelling mistakes need to lighten up.
22-12-2012, 01:07 PM
(22-12-2012 01:04 PM)Magoo Wrote:  People who get annoyed spelling mistakes need to lighten up.
No! Annoyed spelling mistakes are the best spelling mistakes you can ever hope to come across. They're so much fun when they're all annoyed and foaming at the mouth Tongue

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
22-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Mistakes by non-native speakers? Infinite patience

Mistakes by children? Correct them

Mistakes of speed/typo/or "having a moment"? Ignored (unless it's of comedic value)

Mistakes of ignorance/laziness? Aaaaarrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!

My biggest pet peeves in spoken English are "warsh" for "wash", nauseous/nauseated, and the misuse of objective/subjective case.

In written English the misuse of your/you're/yore, too/two/to, there/their/they're, etc. drive me insane (unless they are one of those weird brain things when someone is typing what they are thinking quickly and the brain didn't bother to distinguish the word. Note, these are rare and seen only in long pieces of emotive ranting, habitually screwing it up, *hisss*).

And anyone using "textspeak" should be eliminated from the gene pool.
22-12-2012, 01:16 PM
You mean I don't live in Warshington? Someone better correct my mom.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-12-2012, 01:20 PM
(22-12-2012 01:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You mean I don't live in Warshington? Someone better correct my mom.
Last time I checked, you were in the trunk of my car.

[Image: giphy.gif]
22-12-2012, 01:21 PM
(22-12-2012 01:20 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 01:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You mean I don't live in Warshington? Someone better correct my mom.
Last time I checked, you were in the trunk of my car.

That's why I need someone else to correct my mom. Hobo

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post