English Mistakes that Annoy Me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 01:22 PM
RE: English Mistakes that Annoy Me.
(22-12-2012 01:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You mean I don't live in Warshington? Someone better correct my mom.

About three weeks after we moved from Washington to Minnesota, I got in trouble for freaking out on a teacher when she said "Warshington". Apparently, it was one time too many for me. They couldn't give me detention because saying, "Spell it," isn't actually a punishable offense in school. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ScienceGeek2587's post
22-12-2012, 01:23 PM
(22-12-2012 01:04 PM)Magoo Wrote:  People who get annoyed spelling mistakes need to lighten up.
In many cases I ignore because I make enough mistakes myself. BUT I am not a native speaker, I MAY make mistakes (and am happy to be corrected in such cases). But if someone grown up in a language, gets their school education there, and then is unable to make a difference between "too" and "to", then I'm sorry, that's annoying and stupid. Same goes for sentences like "We also need milk, too, as well."
M'kay?

I'm not gonna lighten up on that.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
22-12-2012, 01:36 PM
(22-12-2012 01:23 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 01:04 PM)Magoo Wrote:  People who get annoyed spelling mistakes need to lighten up.
In many cases I ignore because I make enough mistakes myself. BUT I am not a native speaker, I MAY make mistakes (and am happy to be corrected in such cases). But if someone grown up in a language, gets their school education there, and then is unable to make a difference between "too" and "to", then I'm sorry, that's annoying and stupid. Same goes for sentences like "We also need milk, too, as well."
M'kay?

I'm not gonna lighten up on that.

Well obviously I didn't mean it if it wasn't your first language.
22-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Leela, while I haven't had your cookies, I think your English is fantastic. Big Grin

Veilleicht du kann mir mit Deutsche hilfen? (I'm sure I royally screwed that one up! I took 4 years of German in high school, ya' know, when I wasn't paying attention?)

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
22-12-2012, 04:10 PM
"Vielleicht kannst du mir mit Deutsch helfen."
Hehe thanks Perception.
I spell wrong a lot, but sometimes I don't care. (unless it's work, then I obviously do care)

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
23-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't mind spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes as long as i can get the general idea of what is being said. Some people just don't spell. Hell, I barely spell. My wife would say I don't at all.

to/too/two and the like don't bother me much either. Again with context it's pretty easy to figure out.

What does bother me are people who use words wrong. If you don't know the meaning of the word, don't use. Ok, thanks for calling my fajitas the penultimate fajita you have ever had...lol that's not really a compliment though.

Oh, and for some unknown reason "momentarily" bothers me. We will be landing momentarily. No we won't. we will landing presently.
23-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Oh and (thanks to Delilah) I was reminded that it drives me up a wall when people pronounce "coupon" as kyoo-pon.... It's koo-pon!

Oh yeah, and saying harris for "harass" and apreeseeate for "appreciate."

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
23-12-2012, 07:11 PM
(23-12-2012 06:35 PM)poser765 Wrote:  Oh, and for some unknown reason "momentarily" bothers me. We will be landing momentarily. No we won't. we will landing presently.
No, actually.

"We will be landing" is future tense; therefore, the word "momentarily", which means "very soon, at any moment" is correct. If you say presently with a future tense it is incorrect. You would have to use present tense to say "presently".

So, the sentence would be, "We have landed presently." It's kind of a dumb sounding sentence since tense speaks for itself. The point of "momentarily" in the sentence with the future tense is to further define when you are landing in an indefinite time frame.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
23-12-2012, 07:14 PM
(23-12-2012 07:08 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Oh and (thanks to Delilah) I was reminded that it drives me up a wall when people pronounce "coupon" as kyoo-pon.... It's koo-pon!

Oh yeah, and saying harris for "harass" and apreeseeate for "appreciate."
What annoys me is that Hollywood perpetrates Louisianians as saying "harris". NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, has ever said that in my existence in this state. In fact, Hollywood's Louisiana accent sounds nothing like anyone.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
23-12-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm just going to stay out of this thread, other than to post that I'm staying out if it. My list of spelling, pronunciation, and grammatical errors that used to annoy might be longer than the entire length of this thread - but I got over it, hence the "used to", and now I just let it slide, ignore it, and definitely don't get annoyed by it when I see any of them.

Except for my children - I have a responsibility to raise them and educate them to give them the best chance in this world, so I don't let their linguistic faux pas slide.

Oh, and I do QA at work, so I don't let it slide in our websites or software or electronic documents that fall under my purview.

Those don't annoy me, I just correct them and let everything else have a pass.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein