English Spelling Reform

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 03:33 PM
RE: English Spelling Reform
(12-02-2016 02:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Only Odin should be capitalized. All others should be footnotes.

I never asked --- have you read "The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul: by Douglas Adams????

Odin's in it, as is his unruly son who gets superglued to a floor.....

Much fun....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-02-2016, 03:37 PM
(12-02-2016 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 03:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  How does this impact the melody? It doesn't change the notes A C C F A still remain.
The speed remains true, so how is the melody changed by Dynamic range?

Remember, he wrote "...or the melodies less nuanced".

While an A is an A in theory, real music has a complex set of harmonics - that's how you can tell the difference between an A from a piano and one from a trumpet.
The amount of information that represents the waveform is the nuance of which we speak. When that waveform is compressed, information is lost.
Sure, the music has changed, that is not in dispute. The harmonics can change, the relative volumes change. It can make the music sound bland, less interesting, less lively. But the analogy had a specific purpose. He wasn't saying the they are the exact same thing in all aspects.
12-02-2016, 03:41 PM
(12-02-2016 03:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Remember, he wrote "...or the melodies less nuanced".

While an A is an A in theory, real music has a complex set of harmonics - that's how you can tell the difference between an A from a piano and one from a trumpet.
The amount of information that represents the waveform is the nuance of which we speak. When that waveform is compressed, information is lost.
Sure, the music has changed, that is not in dispute. The harmonics can change, the relative volumes change. It can make the music sound bland, less interesting, less lively. But the analogy had a specific purpose. He wasn't saying the they are the exact same thing in all aspects.

(12-02-2016 02:33 PM)Glossophile Wrote:  Again, it seems that many of the criticisms boil down to a confusion of medium and message. The persistent argument that some meaning or sophistication of expression is lost in simplified spelling is analogous to an argument that upgrading from cassette tapes to MP3s somehow makes the lyrics less meaningful or the melodies less nuanced. It's a complete non sequitur.

Please read what Glossophile wrote again. Emphasis mine.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
12-02-2016, 03:46 PM
(12-02-2016 03:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Remember, he wrote "...or the melodies less nuanced".

Yes, the analogy had a specific purpose and it failed to achieve it since it was factually incorrect.

"The persistent argument that some meaning or sophistication of expression is lost in simplified spelling is like arguing that upgrading from cassette tapes to MP3s somehow makes the lyrics less meaningful or the melody less nuanced."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 04:05 PM
(12-02-2016 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, the analogy had a specific purpose and it failed to achieve it since it was factually incorrect.

"The persistent argument that some meaning or sophistication of expression is lost in simplified spelling is like arguing that upgrading from cassette tapes to MP3s somehow makes the lyrics less meaningful or the melody less nuanced."
His analogy seems perfect to me. But seems to me, to be taken out context by you. He wasn't talking about dynamic range. The meaning behind the lyrics are unchanged. The melody is unchanged.
12-02-2016, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 04:10 PM by Stevil.)
(12-02-2016 03:41 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 03:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Sure, the music has changed, that is not in dispute. The harmonics can change, the relative volumes change. It can make the music sound bland, less interesting, less lively. But the analogy had a specific purpose. He wasn't saying the they are the exact same thing in all aspects.

(12-02-2016 02:33 PM)Glossophile Wrote:  Again, it seems that many of the criticisms boil down to a confusion of medium and message. The persistent argument that some meaning or sophistication of expression is lost in simplified spelling is analogous to an argument that upgrading from cassette tapes to MP3s somehow makes the lyrics less meaningful or the melodies less nuanced. It's a complete non sequitur.

Please read what Glossophile wrote again. Emphasis mine.
I have read what he said, I have noted your hightlights, and I still agree with him.

Edit: If I spell "you" as "u" it does not change the meaning. If I spell "should" as "shood" it doesn't change the meaning.
12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
(12-02-2016 04:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Edit: If I spell "you" as "u" it does not change the meaning. If I spell "should" as "shood" it doesn't change the meaning.
It does, of course, change some things. It changes the length of the spelt word, it changes the characters used. But that would be taking it too far wouldn't it?
12-02-2016, 04:12 PM
(12-02-2016 04:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, the analogy had a specific purpose and it failed to achieve it since it was factually incorrect.

His analogy seems perfect to me. But seems to me, to be taken out context by you. He wasn't talking about dynamic range. The meaning behind the lyrics are unchanged. The melody is unchanged.

You seem to be ignoring what he actually wrote. Drinking Beverage

Which part of "less nuanced" is too nuanced for you? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 04:14 PM
(12-02-2016 04:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  Which part of "less nuanced" is too nuanced for you? Consider
Dynamic range isn't a nuance on the melody.

To nuance the melody one might use stoccato notes or on guitar might use palm mutes. Perhaps a bit of vibrato, or tremello.
12-02-2016, 04:14 PM
(12-02-2016 04:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Edit: If I spell "you" as "u" it does not change the meaning. If I spell "should" as "shood" it doesn't change the meaning.
It does, of course, change some things. It changes the length of the spelt word, it changes the characters used. But that would be taking it too far wouldn't it?

I'd love to see you listen to only 128 kbps mp3 files for the rest of your life. See if the analogy makes sense then.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-