English Spelling Reform

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 04:17 PM
RE: English Spelling Reform
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:11 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It does, of course, change some things. It changes the length of the spelt word, it changes the characters used. But that would be taking it too far wouldn't it?

I'd love to see you listen to only 128 kbps mp3 files for the rest of your life. See if the analogy makes sense then.
I think perhaps you are missing the point, or maybe don't understand what is meant by the term "melody"

Edit: Melody
Quote:In its most literal sense, a melody is a combination of pitch and rhythm, while more figuratively, the term can include successions of other musical elements such as tonal color. It may be considered the foreground to the background accompaniment. A line or part need not be a foreground melody.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 04:18 PM
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  Which part of "less nuanced" is too nuanced for you? Consider
Dynamic range isn't a nuance on the melody.

To nuance the melody one might use stoccato notes or on guitar might use palm mutes. Perhaps a bit of vibrato, or tremello.

Much of which can be lost in compression. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2016, 04:19 PM
(12-02-2016 04:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'd love to see you listen to only 128 kbps mp3 files for the rest of your life. See if the analogy makes sense then.
I think perhaps you are missing the point, or maybe don't understand what is meant by the term "melody"

Edit: Melody
Quote:In its most literal sense, a melody is a combination of pitch and rhythm, while more figuratively, the term can include successions of other musical elements such as tonal color. It may be considered the foreground to the background accompaniment. A line or part need not be a foreground melody.

I think perhaps you are missing the point, or maybe don't understand what is meant by the term "nuance".

12-02-2016, 04:20 PM
(12-02-2016 04:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I'd love to see you listen to only 128 kbps mp3 files for the rest of your life. See if the analogy makes sense then.

And I think you are missing the point. I know what a melody is. And I know that if you compress a song too much, you can lose information, which could be a melody in the background.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
12-02-2016, 04:21 PM
(12-02-2016 04:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Dynamic range isn't a nuance on the melody.

To nuance the melody one might use stoccato notes or on guitar might use palm mutes. Perhaps a bit of vibrato, or tremello.

Much of which can be lost in compression. Facepalm
Nope, vibrato, tremello, stocatto, palm mutes are unaffected by compression. They remain.
12-02-2016, 04:22 PM
(12-02-2016 04:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think perhaps you are missing the point, or maybe don't understand what is meant by the term "melody"

And I think you are missing the point. I know what a melody is. And I know that if you compress a song too much, you can lose information, which could be a melody in the background.
Huh
12-02-2016, 04:27 PM
(12-02-2016 04:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  Much of which can be lost in compression. Facepalm
Nope, vibrato, tremello, stocatto, palm mutes are unaffected by compression. They remain.

Wrong. All of them are represented in the waveform. The range of the data representation determines how much of the information survives compression.

Every bit of the music is affected by compression.

12-02-2016, 04:28 PM
(12-02-2016 04:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:20 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  And I think you are missing the point. I know what a melody is. And I know that if you compress a song too much, you can lose information, which could be a melody in the background.
Huh

Fine, are you then telling me that in a compressed song you can always definitely hear 100% of all the notes in it?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
12-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Aren't all the tweeter twits already doing this because of the 140 character limit of a tweet?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-02-2016, 05:03 PM
(12-02-2016 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Nope, vibrato, tremello, stocatto, palm mutes are unaffected by compression. They remain.

Wrong. All of them are represented in the waveform. The range of the data representation determines how much of the information survives compression.

Every bit of the music is affected by compression.
We are not talking about the precise waveform, we are talking about the melody.
The melody is the note (and note progression) and the timing.

If you change the note e.g.. use of vibrato on a single note, change the key of the whole song or on a more radical change, if you change the mode (Ionian scale)
OR change the timing e.g. use a stoccatto rather than a quarter note, or perhaps put a swing feel to it,

None of these get changed with compression.

Bear in mind, you can play the same melody on different instruments. You can play the Fear of the Dark melody on guitar, piano, violin, cello and it is still the same melody.