English Spelling Reform

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2016, 05:06 PM
RE: English Spelling Reform
(12-02-2016 04:28 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Huh

Fine, are you then telling me that in a compressed song you can always definitely hear 100% of all the notes in it?
Compression doesn't change the pitch of a note, it doesn't remove notes, it doesn't change timing. It can affect the sound, but it doesn't impact the melody.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 05:07 PM
(12-02-2016 05:03 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 04:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong. All of them are represented in the waveform. The range of the data representation determines how much of the information survives compression.

Every bit of the music is affected by compression.
We are not talking about the precise waveform, we are talking about the melody.
The melody is the note (and note progression) and the timing.

If you change the note e.g.. use of vibrato on a single note, change the key of the whole song or on a more radical change, if you change the mode (Ionian scale)
OR change the timing e.g. use a stoccatto rather than a quarter note, or perhaps put a swing feel to it,

None of these get changed with compression.

Every bit of the music is affected by compression. The more compressed, the more data lost.

Quote:Bear in mind, you can play the same melody on different instruments. You can play the Fear of the Dark melody on guitar, piano, violin, cello and it is still the same melody.

If that changes, the nuance of the melody changes. And it is nuance we are talking about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-02-2016, 05:15 PM
(12-02-2016 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:Bear in mind, you can play the same melody on different instruments. You can play the Fear of the Dark melody on guitar, piano, violin, cello and it is still the same melody.

If that changes, the nuance of the melody changes. And it is nuance we are talking about.
The tonality changes but the melody remains the same.
The nuance is on the tone. There is no changed nuance on the melody.

You can keep the same melody but instead of playing a quarter note you choose to play a stocatto, this doesn't change the whole melody, but it adds nuances to the melody.
12-02-2016, 05:18 PM
How about we all just speak Lojban instead. Angel

Truth seeker.
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post
12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
(12-02-2016 05:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  If that changes, the nuance of the melody changes. And it is nuance we are talking about.
The tonality changes but the melody remains the same.
The nuance is on the tone. There is no changed nuance on the melody.

You can keep the same melody but instead of playing a quarter note you choose to play a stocatto, this doesn't change the whole melody, but it adds nuances to the melody.

And it is nuance that is the issue. No one said the melody changed. Re-read the original analogy - he said no change to the nuance: "...or the melodies less nuanced."

What are you arguing? His analogy was flawed because it was factually incorrect.
I'm sorry you can't see that.

12-02-2016, 05:56 PM
(12-02-2016 05:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  And it is nuance that is the issue. No one said the melody changed. Re-read the original analogy - he said no change to the nuance: "...or the melodies less nuanced."

What are you arguing? His analogy was flawed because it was factually incorrect.
His analogy is fine. Compression does not cause any nuances on the melody.
12-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Chas,

Jesus Fucking Christ dude! Pick 2 other mediums then that would be applicable. Vinyl to tape, 8 track to tape, vinyl to 8 track.

I've never seen anyone try to NOT get someone's point like you. That takes real effort.
[+] 2 users Like Matt Finney's post
12-02-2016, 06:17 PM
(12-02-2016 05:18 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  How about we all just speak Lojban instead. Angel

I'd be equally satisfied with that or Esperanto. I haven't really taken much of a look at Lojban, but if it's half as easy as Esperanto to learn, just give me a two or three month notice before the switch I'll be good Tongue

'Murican Canadian
12-02-2016, 06:21 PM
(12-02-2016 05:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  And it is nuance that is the issue. No one said the melody changed. Re-read the original analogy - he said no change to the nuance: "...or the melodies less nuanced."

His analogy is fine. Compression does not cause any nuances on the melody.

You don't understand compression nor nuance.

Where is the nuance? In the data. Compression causes data loss. Q.E.D.

12-02-2016, 06:21 PM
(12-02-2016 06:17 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 05:18 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  How about we all just speak Lojban instead. Angel

I'd be equally satisfied with that or Esperanto. I haven't really taken much of a look at Lojban, but if it's half as easy as Esperanto to learn, just give me a two or three month notice before the switch I'll be good Tongue

There are some good tutorials available. The grammar is based on logical arguments. For example "dunda" means "x1 gives x2 to x3". Example: "mi dunda ti do" means "I give this to you"

Truth seeker.