English Words and Meanings Quiz #1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:23 AM by Full Circle.)
English Words and Meanings Quiz #1
I have subscribed to Merriam Webster's Word of the Day for several years to help increase my vocabulary. Whenever I come across a word I don't know or am unsure of I make a note of it.

Making the multiple choice quiz was a lot of fun, especially trying to create plausible wrong answers to confuse you all. I hope you enjoy.

FC

The site will ask you for Name and E-mail, I made up both and it still let me in.
If you put your TTA name we can all see what you score!

http://makeaquiz.net/0EUiK6

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-04-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: English Words and Meanings Quiz #1
*Merriam ... Make a note of it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2014, 10:24 AM
(12-04-2014 10:22 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  *Merriam ... Make a note of it.

Gasp Facepalm Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-04-2014, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 10:55 AM by Full Circle.)
(12-04-2014 10:22 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  *Merriam ... Make a note of it.

Just for that I took the test for you.

You got 0/10

**Edit: Ok, now I'm sorry I did that. Let it be known that WH score is my doing. Not as funny as I envisioned. Sorry WH.

12-04-2014, 10:37 AM
It froze the first time I took it

I knew like 4 words. Lol. I'm good at guessing.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
12-04-2014, 10:52 AM
(12-04-2014 10:37 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  It froze the first time I took it

I knew like 4 words. Lol. I'm good at guessing.

I saw that, thanks for taking it.Thumbsup These words are not commonly used but I think they should be.

12-04-2014, 11:08 AM
"a retarded pervert" made me chuckle.

I guessed the saxi-thingy from a possible similarity to 'saxifrage'.

All those scrabble years have finally paid off.

I want more Drooling

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-04-2014, 11:14 AM
(12-04-2014 11:08 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "a retarded pervert" made me chuckle.

I guessed the saxi-thingy from a possible similarity to 'saxifrage'.

All those scrabble years have finally paid off.

I want more Drooling

I'm very impressed. I have a long list, maybe enough to make 6-8 tests. I had to work at coming up with wrong meanings though, it took some effort to make sure they were the same part of the sentence as the correct answer.

The retarded pervert was an inspiration Tongue

12-04-2014, 11:48 AM
After first 4 wrong, "fuck that shit"

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
(12-04-2014 11:48 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  After first 4 wrong, "fuck that shit"

Think of it as an opportunity to learn. I challenge you to use any of the ten words on your next post Cool