English is not enough...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 07:45 PM
English is not enough...
We have many foreign types Smile on TTA, I would love to know of any words that you think are missing from the English language.

I recall finding (and using) this word in Scrabble when in my teens and it remains one of my favourites...

Taghairm:
defined in Chambers Dictionary as "(in the Scottish Highlands) divination; esp inspiration sought by lying in a bullock's hide behind a waterfall".

IIRC, the bullock had to be recently demised.

Here are some more from http://theweek.com/article/index/238751/...equivalent

1. Shemomedjamo (Georgian)
You're really full but your meal is just so delicious that you can't stop eating.
This word means, "I accidentally ate the whole thing."

2. Pelinti (Buli, Ghana)
It means "to move hot food around in your mouth" i.e. "Haaah haah... fuck, that's hot!"

3. Layogenic (Tagalog)
Means that something or someone looks OK from a distance but up close... not so much.

4. Rhwe (Tsonga, South Africa)
Means: "to sleep on the floor without a mat, while drunk and naked."
I think we can all relate to that.

5. Zeg (Georgian)
It means "the day after tomorrow."

6. Pålegg (Norweigian)
Yup, the non-specific descriptor for anything you might consider putting into a sandwich.

7. Lagom (Swedish)
Maybe Goldilocks was Swedish? It means something like, "Not too much, and not too little, but just right."

8. Tartle (Scots)
The word for that panicky hesitation just before you have to introduce someone whose name you can't quite remember.

9. Koi No Yokan (Japanese)
Not quite love at first sight but the sense upon first meeting a person that the two of you are going to fall in love.
Ahhhhh, sweet.

10. Mamihlapinatapai (Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego)
This word captures that special look shared between two people, when both are wishing that the other would do something that they both want, but neither want to do.
I think it's an eyebrow thing.

11. Fremdschämen (German); Myötähäpeä (Finnish)
The kinder, gentler cousins of Schadenfreude, both these words mean something akin to "vicarious embarrassment."

12. Cafune (Brazilian Portuguese)
Ahhhhh, sweet (part II)... a word for "tenderly running your fingers through your lover's hair."

13. Greng-jai (Thai)
That feeling you get when you don't want someone to do something for you because it would be a pain for them.

14. Kaelling (Danish)
You know that woman who stands in line at the supermarket cursing at her children? The Danes know her, too.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
22-11-2013, 08:01 PM
RE: English is not enough...
(22-11-2013 07:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We have many foreign types Smile on TTA, I would love to know of any words that you think are missing from the English language.

I recall finding (and using) this word in Scrabble when in my teens and it remains one of my favourites...

Taghairm:
defined in Chambers Dictionary as "(in the Scottish Highlands) divination; esp inspiration sought by lying in a bullock's hide behind a waterfall".

IIRC, the bullock had to be recently demised.

Here are some more from http://theweek.com/article/index/238751/...equivalent

1. Shemomedjamo (Georgian)
You're really full but your meal is just so delicious that you can't stop eating.
This word means, "I accidentally ate the whole thing."

2. Pelinti (Buli, Ghana)
It means "to move hot food around in your mouth" i.e. "Haaah haah... fuck, that's hot!"

3. Layogenic (Tagalog)
Means that something or someone looks OK from a distance but up close... not so much.

4. Rhwe (Tsonga, South Africa)
Means: "to sleep on the floor without a mat, while drunk and naked."
I think we can all relate to that.

5. Zeg (Georgian)
It means "the day after tomorrow."

6. Pålegg (Norweigian)
Yup, the non-specific descriptor for anything you might consider putting into a sandwich.

7. Lagom (Swedish)
Maybe Goldilocks was Swedish? It means something like, "Not too much, and not too little, but just right."

8. Tartle (Scots)
The word for that panicky hesitation just before you have to introduce someone whose name you can't quite remember.

9. Koi No Yokan (Japanese)
Not quite love at first sight but the sense upon first meeting a person that the two of you are going to fall in love.
Ahhhhh, sweet.

10. Mamihlapinatapai (Yaghan language of Tierra del Fuego)
This word captures that special look shared between two people, when both are wishing that the other would do something that they both want, but neither want to do.
I think it's an eyebrow thing.

11. Fremdschämen (German); Myötähäpeä (Finnish)
The kinder, gentler cousins of Schadenfreude, both these words mean something akin to "vicarious embarrassment."

12. Cafune (Brazilian Portuguese)
Ahhhhh, sweet (part II)... a word for "tenderly running your fingers through your lover's hair."

13. Greng-jai (Thai)
That feeling you get when you don't want someone to do something for you because it would be a pain for them.

14. Kaelling (Danish)
You know that woman who stands in line at the supermarket cursing at her children? The Danes know her, too.

What has the word that mean sex wolf (sexual predator) but in a good way. Like the male version of a cougar?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
22-11-2013, 08:47 PM
(22-11-2013 08:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  ...
What was the word that means sex wolf (sexual predator) but in a good way. Like the male version of a cougar?

Ah, yes. Good point. I forgot that one.

sur láng (Chinese)
literally meaning, colour wolf.

Consider

What are you saying?

Dodgy

22-11-2013, 09:02 PM
(22-11-2013 08:47 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 08:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  ...
What was the word that means sex wolf (sexual predator) but in a good way. Like the male version of a cougar?

Ah, yes. Good point. I forgot that one.

sur láng (Chinese)
literally meaning, colour wolf.

Consider

What are you saying?

Dodgy

I said in a good way. Angel

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness, pronounced [ˈvɛltʃmɛɐ̯ts]) is a term coined by the German author Jean Paul Richter and denotes the kind of feeling experienced by someone who understands that physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind. This kind of world view was widespread among several romantic authors such as Lord Byron, Giacomo Leopardi, François-René de Chateaubriand, Alfred de Musset, Nikolaus Lenau, Hermann Hesse, and Heinrich Heine. It is also used to denote the feeling of sadness when thinking about the evils of the world.

The modern meaning of Weltschmerz in the German language is the psychological pain caused by sadness that can occur when realizing that someone's own weaknesses are caused by the inappropriateness and cruelty of the world and (physical and social) circumstances. Weltschmerz in this meaning can cause depression, resignation and escapism, and can become a mental problem (compare to Hikikomori). The modern meaning should also be compared with the concept of anomie, or a kind of alienation, that Émile Durkheim wrote about in his sociological treatise Suicide.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
23-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Wow. I remember that one New Years Eve; sooo rhwe. Shy Mm... good times.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
23-11-2013, 01:43 AM
(23-11-2013 01:06 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow. I remember that one New Years Eve; sooo rhwe. Shy Mm... good times.

Independence Day for me Tongue

23-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Number 3, layogenic. We do have one for that in the UK. Big Grin
It's bobfoc.

Body off baywatch, face off crinewatch Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
23-11-2013, 05:59 AM
This post reminded me of Julian Assange’s sexual assault charge in Sweden.

i'm sure the translation was a little screwy, " SEX BY SURPRISE"

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-11-2013, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 06:38 AM by Vosur.)
Waldeinsamkeit (German)

The term is mainly used in the context of art (literature, music, paintings) as a description of the isolating nature of woods, something that poets and monks alike make frequent use of.

A literal translation would be something along the lines of "woodland solitude".

Edit: Turns out that there are actually at least a hundred German loan words in the English language.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post