English people are rude.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
RE: English people are rude.
(03-05-2016 08:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But people over there say toilet a lot. Why do I feel that's inappropriate?

Toilet, toilette, τουαλέτα. It's all over Europe, why are you so upset about the British specifically?

(03-05-2016 08:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Then there's coffee. Coffee is fucking coffee. If I wanted a latte I'd ask for latte. When I ask for a coffee your only questions should involve the darkness of roast and whether sweetener and cream (not milk!) is necessary.
Not "what kind?"
Because you will get an answer something along the lines of
"Like coffee...coffee....you know.....coffee...

No, coffee is not fucking coffee. Filtered coffee, which I assume is the most common kind of coffee you will find in the US (and apparently, Canada), is only one type of coffee and not necessarily the most common type in the rest of the world. I don't know how it's like in England, but if you go to a cafeteria in Greece and ask for "a coffee", they'll look at you like your IQ is below 50.

People have all sorts of different preferences, why should someone in a foreign country assume that your preferred type of coffee is filtered coffee?

Also, milk in coffee is perfectly acceptable.

Now I've said "coffee" so many times that it sounds funny. "Coffee". Teehee.

P.S Apparently, Greek people are also quite rude Angel

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
04-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Some of us don't even have fancy words for the toilet like you english speakers do. We just call the toilet "toilettet". The closest word to that is "badeværelset", which means 'the bathroom'. And that's not the same.
Maybe we're a rude people who really need help. From the US. *shudder*
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
04-05-2016, 04:18 PM
(04-05-2016 02:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 08:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But people over there say toilet a lot. Why do I feel that's inappropriate?

Toilet, toilette, τουαλέτα. It's all over Europe, why are you so upset about the British specifically?

(03-05-2016 08:38 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Then there's coffee. Coffee is fucking coffee. If I wanted a latte I'd ask for latte. When I ask for a coffee your only questions should involve the darkness of roast and whether sweetener and cream (not milk!) is necessary.
Not "what kind?"
Because you will get an answer something along the lines of
"Like coffee...coffee....you know.....coffee...

No, coffee is not fucking coffee. Filtered coffee, which I assume is the most common kind of coffee you will find in the US (and apparently, Canada), is only one type of coffee and not necessarily the most common type in the rest of the world. I don't know how it's like in England, but if you go to a cafeteria in Greece and ask for "a coffee", they'll look at you like your IQ is below 50.

People have all sorts of different preferences, why should someone in a foreign country assume that your preferred type of coffee is filtered coffee?

Perhaps I'm wrong but But I was under the impression that somebody picked some beans(berries with beans in them?) and then we crush them up and strain water through them. This is coffee. An ice cap is made with coffee but it itself is not coffee.
Is my classification of coffee arbitrary? Perhaps. But I must remain firm on this opinion for some reason I don't fully understand. Just like how I find the choice of toilet over washroom rude. Smile
04-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device. I would similarly ask where a kitchen is, not the stove, the bedroom, not the bed. It's odd. If you can get me to the right room I can figure the rest out.

The device in question though...I call it a toilet. My wife uses the more traditional name for my area, which is the commode. Most younger people use toilet, though my parents generation was more mixed, and my grandparents certainly called it a commode. "Cultural poisoning"? On the flip side, I cal the evening meal "supper" and my wife calls the evening meal "dinner", so we're backwards there.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
04-05-2016, 06:43 PM
(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Toilet, toilette, τουαλέτα. It's all over Europe, why are you so upset about the British specifically?

Perhaps I'm wrong but But I was under the impression that somebody picked some beans(berries with beans in them?) and then we crush them up and strain water through them. This is coffee. An ice cap is made with coffee but it itself is not coffee.
Is my classification of coffee arbitrary? Perhaps. But I must remain firm on this opinion for some reason I don't fully understand. Just like how I find the choice of toilet over washroom rude. Smile

Technically coffee is made from roasted seeds, not beans or berries. Big Grin

04-05-2016, 07:32 PM
(04-05-2016 06:43 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Perhaps I'm wrong but But I was under the impression that somebody picked some beans(berries with beans in them?) and then we crush them up and strain water through them. This is coffee. An ice cap is made with coffee but it itself is not coffee.

Technically coffee is made from roasted seeds, not beans or berries. Big Grin

We should just boil 'em and eat 'em, like the Quakers did. Shocking That is, if I didn't just use instant. Drinking Beverage

It's funny, I call that room the "bathroom", even at work, but I can tell you with great certainty that I've never taken a bath at work. In fact, I haven't even had a bath in decades. And I don't use the bathroom at home but once a day, for a shower. Now, the fumigation for lower lifeforms happens more, by a factor of probably 3. Tongue
05-05-2016, 03:56 AM
(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Perhaps I'm wrong but But I was under the impression that somebody picked some beans(berries with beans in them?) and then we crush them up and strain water through them. This is coffee. An ice cap is made with coffee but it itself is not coffee. Is my classification of coffee arbitrary? Perhaps. But I must remain firm on this opinion for some reason I don't fully understand.

Not necessarily. For example, Greek (Turkish) coffee is nothing like that. It is added into water and boiled. But it's still 100% coffee. Filtered coffee (which is the most common type of coffee there, but probably the least common type of coffee here) is still just one type of coffee.

Try asking for "a coffee" in Italy Big Grin

(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Just like how I find the choice of toilet over washroom rude. Smile

Remember, the English made the English language first Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-05-2016, 04:44 AM
(05-05-2016 03:56 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Perhaps I'm wrong but But I was under the impression that somebody picked some beans(berries with beans in them?) and then we crush them up and strain water through them. This is coffee. An ice cap is made with coffee but it itself is not coffee. Is my classification of coffee arbitrary? Perhaps. But I must remain firm on this opinion for some reason I don't fully understand.

Not necessarily. For example, Greek (Turkish) coffee is nothing like that. It is added into water and boiled. But it's still 100% coffee. Filtered coffee (which is the most common type of coffee there, but probably the least common type of coffee here) is still just one type of coffee.

Try asking for "a coffee" in Italy Big Grin

(04-05-2016 04:18 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Just like how I find the choice of toilet over washroom rude. Smile

Remember, the English made the English language first Tongue

Ehhh...kinda. It's a Germanic Language, so Germans kinda made it, then the English stole a huge amount of it from Latin and French, then they did eventually start using a lot of American phrases and words, as well as some spanish ones...

05-05-2016, 08:15 AM
(04-05-2016 02:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't know how it's like in England, but if you go to a cafeteria in Greece and ask for "a coffee", they'll look at you like your IQ is below 50.

What does one ask for? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-05-2016, 08:17 AM
(04-05-2016 06:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device. I would similarly ask where a kitchen is, not the stove, the bedroom, not the bed. It's odd. If you can get me to the right room I can figure the rest out.

The device in question though...I call it a toilet. My wife uses the more traditional name for my area, which is the commode. Most younger people use toilet, though my parents generation was more mixed, and my grandparents certainly called it a commode. "Cultural poisoning"? On the flip side, I cal the evening meal "supper" and my wife calls the evening meal "dinner", so we're backwards there.

Yabut, what does one call a room that has a toilet but not a bath? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user