English people are rude.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: English people are rude.
(05-05-2016 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device. I would similarly ask where a kitchen is, not the stove, the bedroom, not the bed. It's odd. If you can get me to the right room I can figure the rest out.

The device in question though...I call it a toilet. My wife uses the more traditional name for my area, which is the commode. Most younger people use toilet, though my parents generation was more mixed, and my grandparents certainly called it a commode. "Cultural poisoning"? On the flip side, I cal the evening meal "supper" and my wife calls the evening meal "dinner", so we're backwards there.

Yabut, what does one call a room that has a toilet but not a bath? Consider

Rodney

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Downunder, "dyke" was commonly used to describe a toilet, particularly in the military, and amongst older blokes.

[Image: 47037134.jpg]

High class Aussie thunderbox

Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
05-05-2016, 10:01 AM
(05-05-2016 08:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I don't know how it's like in England, but if you go to a cafeteria in Greece and ask for "a coffee", they'll look at you like your IQ is below 50.

What does one ask for? Consider

An espresso, a filtered (French) coffee, a Greek coffee, or instant coffee. These are the main types. Then you may also mention the size (in the case of espresso and Greek) or if you want it cold (in the case of espresso and instant coffee) and you must definitely say how much sugar you want in it (or they'll ask to confirm that you want it plain). Then there's more complicated stuff too, like you can ask your espresso to be macchiato, lungo or ristretto.

For example, I usually ask for a sweet "double" Greek coffee. My friends ask for more complicated stuff like "a freddo (cold) cappuccino with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on top". That's something your average waiter should expect to hear on a daily basis here.

Given that there's no one popular and most common type of coffee here, you have to specify which one it is you want to order from the very first moment. Asking for "a coffee" is basically like going into a bar and asking for "a drink" and expecting to get a specific kind of drink Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-05-2016, 10:45 AM
English people are rude.
(04-05-2016 02:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 03:06 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I've said it before. If you want rude people, go to Paris (not France in general, just Paris), and speak a sentence in English. It leads to:
[Image: giphy.gif]

I was gonna say that. You think the English are rude, go to France. Weeping
And furthermore, it's the "restroom" you pigs. Snort.

Why restroom? Who goes to the bog for a rest?

It takes effort.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
05-05-2016, 10:58 AM
(05-05-2016 10:45 AM)Sam Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 02:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
And furthermore, it's the "restroom" you pigs. Snort.

Why restroom? Who goes to the bog for a rest?

A husband.

Further, why do Murikans ask for the bathroom when they don't want to take a bath?

Weird, or what?

Huh

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-05-2016, 11:29 AM
(04-05-2016 06:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device.

Synecdoche is not uncommon in English.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-05-2016, 12:09 PM
(05-05-2016 10:01 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 08:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  What does one ask for? Consider

An espresso, a filtered (French) coffee, a Greek coffee, or instant coffee. These are the main types. Then you may also mention the size (in the case of espresso and Greek) or if you want it cold (in the case of espresso and instant coffee) and you must definitely say how much sugar you want in it (or they'll ask to confirm that you want it plain). Then there's more complicated stuff too, like you can ask your espresso to be macchiato, lungo or ristretto.

For example, I usually ask for a sweet "double" Greek coffee. My friends ask for more complicated stuff like "a freddo (cold) cappuccino with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on top". That's something your average waiter should expect to hear on a daily basis here.

Given that there's no one popular and most common type of coffee here, you have to specify which one it is you want to order from the very first moment. Asking for "a coffee" is basically like going into a bar and asking for "a drink" and expecting to get a specific kind of drink Tongue

You forgot the Frappe. When in Greece I usually drink that or just like you , a double Greek coffee, very sweet, because that is the same thing I drink at home.

I think that our 'Murikan friends don't understand that for Europeans coffee is not just a shot of caffeine that our bodies need, it's so much more, hard to explain, a social event of sorts. Same goes for food.

Quote:I don't know how it's like in England, but if you go to a cafeteria in Greece and ask for "a coffee", they'll look at you like your IQ is below 50.

Yeah Laugh out load , in Serbia too. But Italians would probably be worst, start yelling at you with all the hand waving and shit.
Try ordering an espresso in Italy in the afternoon and the waiter will give you the look of disgust like you club baby seals for a living.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
(05-05-2016 12:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You forgot the Frappe. When in Greece I usually drink that or just like you , a double Greek coffee, very sweet, because that is the same thing I drink at home.

Well, I thought about including it but it is still a type of instant coffee Tongue

(05-05-2016 12:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think that our 'Murikan friends don't understand that for Europeans coffee is not just a shot of caffeine that our bodies need, it's so much more, hard to explain, a social event of sorts. Same goes for food.

Couldn't agree more. Not sure how coffee works in Serbia, but I'm sure it would baffle many foreigners to see Greek people going for "a coffee" and staying at the cafeteria for 2-3 hours Laugh out load

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
05-05-2016, 12:48 PM
(05-05-2016 12:18 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 12:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You forgot the Frappe. When in Greece I usually drink that or just like you , a double Greek coffee, very sweet, because that is the same thing I drink at home.

Well, I thought about including it but it is still a type of instant coffee Tongue

(05-05-2016 12:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think that our 'Murikan friends don't understand that for Europeans coffee is not just a shot of caffeine that our bodies need, it's so much more, hard to explain, a social event of sorts. Same goes for food.

Couldn't agree more. Not sure how coffee works in Serbia, but I'm sure it would baffle many foreigners to see Greek people going for "a coffee" and staying at the cafeteria for 2-3 hours Laugh out load

Works the same way, going for a "a coffee" means a couple of hours of talking, bonding, sharing news, gossiping , complaining about love life...it means spending time with your friends.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
05-05-2016, 02:16 PM
(05-05-2016 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device. I would similarly ask where a kitchen is, not the stove, the bedroom, not the bed. It's odd. If you can get me to the right room I can figure the rest out.

The device in question though...I call it a toilet. My wife uses the more traditional name for my area, which is the commode. Most younger people use toilet, though my parents generation was more mixed, and my grandparents certainly called it a commode. "Cultural poisoning"? On the flip side, I cal the evening meal "supper" and my wife calls the evening meal "dinner", so we're backwards there.

Yabut, what does one call a room that has a toilet but not a bath? Consider

Washroom, Water Closet, Powder Room, Lavatory, Facilities, Head, Privy, Mens or Womens Room, Restroom, Latrine, take your pick.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post