English people are rude.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: English people are rude.
(05-05-2016 11:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-05-2016 06:42 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't see anything wrong with calling a toilet a toilet, but a toilet is a device that is in a bathroom, restroom, powder room, etc. I think it's a bit odd to ask for the device.

Synecdoche is not uncommon in English.

Nevertheless, it's a bit odd. Especially considering that that it's not common to do the same for the other rooms of the house. Toilet is not just forgiven, it's expected in some places. Weird, man.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2016, 04:00 PM
(05-05-2016 02:16 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, what does one call a room that has a toilet but not a bath? Consider

Washroom, Water Closet, Powder Room, Lavatory, Facilities, Head, Privy, Mens or Womens Room, Restroom, Latrine, take your pick.

The can

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-05-2016, 04:22 PM
How about garderobe?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Ill say "the ladies," ladies' room (men's room), restroom, or bathroom. I tend to ask for the bathroom when I'm in someone's home. Sometimes I'll say facilities. Powder room and water closet depending on the type of room, if it's a powder room or a water closet. We had a water closet in the master bathroom when I was a homeowner, made coexisting with my ex much more pleasant than taking a shower and having to smell him shit. Powder room = toilet, sink. Water closet = toilet only.

As far as the device - toilet or commode - I say both, but it's not the name of the room.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
05-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Pissoir is my favoured term at the moment... It sounds... classy and rude at the same time.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-05-2016, 01:20 AM
(05-05-2016 02:18 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 11:29 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Synecdoche is not uncommon in English.

Nevertheless, it's a bit odd. Especially considering that that it's not common to do the same for the other rooms of the house. Toilet is not just forgiven, it's expected in some places. Weird, man.

Do you have a set of wheels? Have you ever tickled the ivories?

It isn't odd at all. It's rather common enough that we don't normally take note of it. Not weird at all.