EpiPen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 08:49 AM
EpiPen
So I give myself three allergy shots once a week. I'm pretty much allergic to every tree, grass, mold, dust mite dung, cat, dog, horse and I don't know what all, in the county. So anyway, I'm supposed to have an EpiPen handy each time I give myself shots and I'm about to go out and renew my EpiPen prescription. Sigh.

I have pretty good insurance but even with my insurance it doesn't cover all of the EpiPen. I was thinking of getting a vial of epinephrine which costs almost nothing and practice quick injections on an orange. Just sayin.

I don't understand why someone can't invent a quick injection system that doesn't cost $600 so it can undercut the EpiPen people. This is ridiculous.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 08:55 AM
RE: EpiPen
It's disgraceful that the prices have risen to such a ridiculous amount. To jack the prices up so high on something so necessary to some people should be against the law like price gouging in other situations.

Medical care in this country just seems to get worse and worse. 'Care' seems to be harder to come by with each passing day. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-09-2016, 08:59 AM
Big Pharma wins again.

They fucking SUCK.
16-09-2016, 09:03 AM
(16-09-2016 08:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It's disgraceful that the prices have risen to such a ridiculous amount. To jack the prices up so high on something so necessary to some people should be against the law like price gouging in other situations.

Medical care in this country just seems to get worse and worse. 'Care' seems to be harder to come by with each passing day. Undecided

The thing is, I have excellent insurance but it's still going to cost over $200 dollars for my EpiPen. I wouldn't mind if the drug in it, epinephrine, was super expensive but it costs pennies so it's the quick injection system that people are paying for. That's why I'm thinking of just buying the epinephrine drug for next to nothing and getting good at speedy injections. I doubt I'll ever have any problem with my allergy shots and go into shock but just in case I do......

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-09-2016, 09:20 AM
(16-09-2016 09:03 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 08:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It's disgraceful that the prices have risen to such a ridiculous amount. To jack the prices up so high on something so necessary to some people should be against the law like price gouging in other situations.

The thing is, I have excellent insurance but it's still going to cost over $200 dollars for my EpiPen. I wouldn't mind if the drug in it, epinephrine, was super expensive but it costs pennies so it's the quick injection system that people are paying for. That's why I'm thinking of just buying the epinephrine drug for next to nothing and getting good at speedy injections. I doubt I'll ever have any problem with my allergy shots and go into shock but just in case I do......

Years ago I trained as a medical assistant which included giving injections. I don't see why you couldn't do this especially since it's an intramuscular that you could hardly miss on your thigh.

Most likely the issue would be getting your hands on syringes with needles. I would imagine you would need something larger than an insulin needle. Back in the day those were over the counter, not sure how that works now. Insulin needles are pretty tiny since they are subQ.

If you can have some syringes on hand so that you could have one prefilled and capped for quick use, that would be a great solution.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-09-2016, 09:23 AM
(16-09-2016 09:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Most likely the issue would be getting your hands on syringes with needles.

My wife gets them from the veterinarian.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-09-2016, 09:24 AM
(16-09-2016 09:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Most likely the issue would be getting your hands on syringes with needles.

My wife gets them from the veterinarian.

I was actually going to suggest that.

16-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Go to a methadone clinic and pick up some free syringes to practice with. After you've got a few run-throughs under control, pick up some sterile saline and practice your technique on your own thigh. You'll want that muscle memory to kick in. Wink

With insurance, I'd make damn certain they will pay, not only for the drug but the syringes - you're helping them cut down on the expense. Fucking greedy fuckholes. Angry

Quick question:
What happens when someone is going into shock and quickly becomes unable to fumble with a vial and a syringe?

Just curious. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-09-2016, 09:41 AM
(16-09-2016 09:37 AM)kim Wrote:  Go to a methadone clinic and pick up some free syringes to practice with. After you've got a few run-throughs under control, pick up some sterile saline and practice your technique on your own thigh. You'll want that muscle memory to kick in. Wink

With insurance, I'd make damn certain they will pay, not only for the drug but the syringes - you're helping them cut down on the expense. Fucking greedy fuckholes. Angry

Quick question:
What happens when someone is going into shock and quickly becomes unable to fumble with a vial and a syringe?

Just curious. Drinking Beverage

That's why it would be good to have a syringe pre-filled.

To draw from a vial you first have to inject air into the vial so the vacuum in the vial doesn't cause it to implode...ask me how I know that. Dodgy

Pre-filled would be the way to go...ready and with the correct dosage.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I read somewhere that the EpiPen manufacturers actually raised the price just because they thought they were undervaluing the product. Not because production costs have increased, no, no, no. Just because they're greedy fucks who have the public bent over a barrel.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post