EpiPen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 09:55 AM
RE: EpiPen
(16-09-2016 09:41 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:37 AM)kim Wrote:  Go to a methadone clinic and pick up some free syringes to practice with. After you've got a few run-throughs under control, pick up some sterile saline and practice your technique on your own thigh. You'll want that muscle memory to kick in. Wink

With insurance, I'd make damn certain they will pay, not only for the drug but the syringes - you're helping them cut down on the expense. Fucking greedy fuckholes. Angry

Quick question:
What happens when someone is going into shock and quickly becomes unable to fumble with a vial and a syringe?

Just curious. Drinking Beverage

That's why it would be good to have a syringe pre-filled.

To draw from a vial you first have to inject air into the vial so the vacuum in the vial doesn't cause it to implode...ask me how I know that. Dodgy

Pre-filled would be the way to go...ready and with the correct dosage.

Yup. It was kind of a rhetorical question to illustrate just how such greed on the part of the insurance industry will dictate and control our lives. I'm just so fucking pissed at the casual and callous greed these fuckers heap onto people! Angry

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 10:10 AM
(16-09-2016 09:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I read somewhere that the EpiPen manufacturers actually raised the price just because they thought they were undervaluing the product. Not because production costs have increased, no, no, no. Just because they're greedy fucks who have the public bent over a barrel.

Martin Shkreli.

Let us a extend a nice, warming 'fuck you' to that guy.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
16-09-2016, 10:19 AM
(16-09-2016 10:10 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I read somewhere that the EpiPen manufacturers actually raised the price just because they thought they were undervaluing the product. Not because production costs have increased, no, no, no. Just because they're greedy fucks who have the public bent over a barrel.

Martin Shkreli.

I don't think it's the same fuck from that HIV drug scandal. I think this one is a new fuck.

Why are these people so horrible? Angry
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-09-2016, 10:35 AM
(16-09-2016 10:19 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 10:10 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Martin Shkreli.

I don't think it's the same fuck from that HIV drug scandal. I think this one is a new fuck.

Heather Bresch

My son needs the Epipen for a peanut allergy, not sure if the price increase is world wide (yet) but I refilled his prescription last month (cause Epipens expire after a year) and my insurance still covered it 100%

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
16-09-2016, 10:56 AM
(16-09-2016 10:35 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 10:19 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't think it's the same fuck from that HIV drug scandal. I think this one is a new fuck.

Heather Bresch

My son needs the Epipen for a peanut allergy, not sure if the price increase is world wide (yet) but I refilled his prescription last month (cause Epipens expire after a year) and my insurance still covered it 100%

Do you live in the US?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-09-2016, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 11:34 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-09-2016 09:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 09:20 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Most likely the issue would be getting your hands on syringes with needles.

My wife gets them from the veterinarian.

You take your wife to the vet ? Gasp

It really is a crime. The pharmaceutical industry is the most profitable industry in the US. They make 26% annually on invested capital. That's like a bank paying you 26 % instead of whatever they do. They say they need it to cover the cost of research. Bullshit they do. Every dollar they expend in research they expense on their income taxes as a business expense. So it's like being paid twice. Once with the deduction, and once with the dividend. Such a fucking racket. The CEO of EpiPen makes 15 million dollars a year. What "added value" could anyone possibly provide to anything in health care that would justify that nonsense ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-09-2016, 11:12 AM
(16-09-2016 10:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 10:35 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Heather Bresch

Do you live in the US?

No I live in Canada, and while we have universal health care, in most cases it doesn't cover drug prescriptions, so we have to get our own, or through our employer, private health insurance to cover drug costs.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
16-09-2016, 12:50 PM
(16-09-2016 11:12 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 10:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Do you live in the US?

No I live in Canada, and while we have universal health care, in most cases it doesn't cover drug prescriptions, so we have to get our own, or through our employer, private health insurance to cover drug costs.

Actually I can order it from an online Canadian pharmacy and it's much cheaper. I should do that.

A nurse friend told me that since I've been on a maintenance level of allergan shots for the last year and I haven't had even the slightest reaction so far, the chances of me having a adverse reaction is pretty low. I go in every four month to get new vials and they give me the shots in the office. I legally have to have the EpiPen in my purse at that point so they don't get sued if I react to the shots. It seems like the EpiPen people are pushing everyone and their dog to get an EpiPen. More money for them.

All schools have to have EpiPens and some school districts are having problems getting enough for the students who might need them. My husband's a teacher and has to go through emergency medical training every other year and know how to use the EpiPen.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-09-2016, 05:09 PM
We supply the school office with one Epipen and our son has to carry another with him.

The biggest problem the school sees is that boys don't like to carry them cause they're big and unwieldy so the boys leave them in their backpacks in homeroom.

There was a great product for awhile called Allerject that was smaller (about the size and shape of a fat cellphone) that would fit better in the pocket, but it was recalled last year due the possibility that it may sometimes not deliver a full dose, it cost only a little more then epipen (before the price hike). But I haven't heard any news about if or when it will be made available again.

It was great because it had a little computer voice that would talk you through the whole process as soon as you uncapped the needle end, and you didn't have to jab it in the leg, just place it against the skin and the needle would shoot itself into the thigh, then it would count "5...4...3...2...1...dosage complete" (or words to that effect). So there was no training needed to use it.

A friend in the hole

[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
17-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Healthcare triage has covered how we got to where we are with the EpiPen.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.