[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 12:52 PM
RE: Epic British children's TV show
I wish we had something like this in the States, but it will never be shown in the Bible Belt.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2011, 12:58 PM
BBC makes lots of cool TV, specially documentaries. I'm so pleased that some of it is aired here in Norway.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
22-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Our kids get their science delivered by a magic school bus that can change size and travel in time. Yours get theirs from talking turtles. Either way, there's a cognitive disconnect.
22-02-2011, 01:28 PM
(22-02-2011 01:10 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Our kids get their science delivered by a magic school bus that can change size and travel in time. Yours get theirs from talking turtles. Either way, there's a cognitive disconnect.
You won the game.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
22-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Well, our kids do get their animal facts from skinny guys in short shorts, so it's not just the magical schoolbus. And then the occasional mad scientist science show, the current one features a talking rat.

Those ones just aren't animated =p

From what I've seen of the magic school bus it really doesn't go into much detail as they adventure to different places each episode and have an overview. So an entire show on evolution seems a bit better to me =p.

Although I fear the US response to this, cause we have had enough christian cartoons in the US =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-02-2011, 03:58 PM
(22-02-2011 01:10 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Our kids get their science delivered by a magic school bus that can change size and travel in time. Yours get theirs from talking turtles. Either way, there's a cognitive disconnect.

What about Bill Nye?
[Image: billnye4.jpg]

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2011, 04:15 PM
(22-02-2011 03:58 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  What about Bill Nye?

I mentioned him with the talking rat comment

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-02-2011, 04:21 PM

(22-02-2011 12:58 PM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  BBC makes lots of cool TV, specially documentaries. I'm so pleased that some of it is aired here in Norway.

It has it's downside too. Radio 4 (current affairs, drama, comedy etc.) has a slot in it's current affairs program 'Today' which is called 'Thought for the day' where various people come along and give a meaningful little speech with a moral message. Given that it is only possible to give the speech if you are of a religious persuasion, 'Thought' seems to be the one thing which is generally absent.

They also have plans later this year to devote the best part of a day of programs to the anniversary of the King James Bible.

They do a lot of secular programming as well but the specific exclusion of atheist and secular thought from that particular slot on Today has always annoyed me.
Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Way better than Finnish kid's programs. Rölli is a classic charater, although I doubt that kids watch it anymore. Here's a clip from one episode in the 90's (couldn't find one with subtitles, but the only relevant sentence is the first sentence that he says: ''feels good... I'll take more so I'll feel even better''): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ipCaGWjtU

Talk about educational children's TV. Tongue
Btw, Pokemons evolve too.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.