Epicurean paradox defeated.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1.33 Average
15-02-2014, 10:19 PM
RE: Epicurean paradox defeated.
(15-02-2014 01:13 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 12:56 PM)Drich Wrote:  Actually we have something better than Christ here with us now. (His words not mine) We have been given the Gift of the Holy Spirit. According to Christ Himself it was the Holy Spirit that empowered him while He was here. It is this same holy Spirit that wrote the bible and interceeds on our behalf. We have access to God personally and on an indivisual bases. What more proof of God is there than God?

It is not proof of God if you cannot prove this "holy spirit" thing even exists. Please show me the money on this intangible spirit.

What better proof of God than God? If you want all you need to establish and maintain a relationship with God simply A/S/K for the Holy Spirit as outlined in Luke 11.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Yawn.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
15-02-2014, 10:46 PM
(15-02-2014 12:56 PM)Drich Wrote:  Western society throws away more food than is needed to feed everyone who does not have enough.

It isn't nearly as simple as shipping extra foodstuffs to the people who need them. When a population is experiencing famine there may have been a drought and subsequent crop failure, but there are frequently complicating factors such as war or corrupt local officials. It's not uncommon for a shipment of food to sit in a truck or a warehouse because it's too dangerous to deliver it. An aid shipment can also be hijacked. Throwing money and resources at a problem doesn't always work in the real world.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2014, 11:15 PM
(15-02-2014 10:19 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 01:13 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  It is not proof of God if you cannot prove this "holy spirit" thing even exists. Please show me the money on this intangible spirit.

What better proof of God than God? If you want all you need to establish and maintain a relationship with God simply A/S/K for the Holy Spirit as outlined in Luke 11.

How did Luke stumble across this formula? It would seem, that the only way to get it, would be via the Holy Spirit, which requires the formula.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
15-02-2014, 11:35 PM
and yet, still, no reply for me.

I guess I should just abandon this thread?

In case you missed it again, Drich, it's post 81.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
16-02-2014, 06:32 AM
(15-02-2014 10:19 PM)Drich Wrote:  What better proof of God than God?

What better proof of leprechauns than leprechauns?

The Emperor Has No Fucking Clothes, idiot.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Colourcraze keeps asking when you are going to address this, moron:

(10-02-2014 01:52 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 09:11 PM)Drich Wrote:  Bangin
It can not be applied to the God of the bible (as per the OP) because God does not claim the attributes needed for the paradox to be valid. This paradox will only work against the idea of an Omni max type deity. God makes no such claims. He describes Himself as an alpha and omega not an Omni max. the difference? He is Who he wants to be, nothing more nothing less.

Clearly you have a different brand of Christianity that I've never heard of. I'm pretty sure when I went to church, we praised an all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful, all-present creator.

Examples:

omniscient: There are many instances in the Bible where Jesus knew the thoughts of those he was speaking with. (Luke 6:8, Matthew 12:25, John 2:25, John 6:61ff) Jeremiah 1:5, God knows us before we're even in the womb. 1 Samuel 2:3 - "the Lord is the God of knowledge" Also, Romans 10:33, God's wisdom is unfathomable.

omni-benevolent: God cares for all of us (Matthew 6) more than the birds and the lilies. He will care for us, this shows his love for us. Not to mention John 3:16 - "for God so loved the world" Also, Psalm 145:8-9 The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and great in mercy. 9 The Lord is good to all, And His tender mercies are over all His works. (empasis mine) aaaand Ephesians 3:19 - His love surpasses understanding! Romans 8:35-39 - "who shall separate us from the love of Christ?" and 2 Peter 3:9 He is "not willing that any should perish"

omnipotent: Can't say it any better than Revelation 19:6 - “Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!" SO many verses in Psalms extol the mighty power of God. Psalm 62:11, power belongs to God. Psalm 147:5 - "Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite." Romans 1:20 mentions His eternal power.

omnipresent: Proverbs 15:3 - The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Also, the "alpha and omega" bit is just a testament to his power.

NOTE, Drich, before you assume something. I do not believe this. I do not believe in any god. I am using scripture in the Bible (something that is true for you, but not for me) to show you that these attributes are, in fact, part of the god of the Bible, and therefore the paradox applies.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
16-02-2014, 06:43 AM
(15-02-2014 10:19 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 01:13 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  It is not proof of God if you cannot prove this "holy spirit" thing even exists. Please show me the money on this intangible spirit.

If god is indeed the best proof of god, which I dare say it is indeed shaped like itself, than the most logical thing to do would be to materialise this proof, not to merely say that in order to prove god to oneself they must essentially already accept it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-02-2014, 07:10 AM
This Calvin & Hobbes cartoon made me think of Drich's argument style.

[attachment=1887]

Obfuscation, redirection, avoidance, moving goal posts, redifining terms, ad homs and all to shore up a deep-seated suspension of disbelief. The mental gymnastics would qualify for an Olympic medal.

Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
16-02-2014, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 11:08 AM by Bucky Ball.)
From his debate thread :

Drich : "Nothing. He has made his choice in this life..
I am not here to sell Christianity despite what has been said by our forum mates. I am here to answer questions and provide scriptural clarity about, God, the bible and Christianity in general. Why? So one can make a decision about God/their eternity with Him. God has given everyone a choice to make. If God has seen fit to give people this choice, then who am I to say they made the wrong one for themselves? My job is to simply help facilitate that choice with what ever I have been given to help them with. Once the choice is made and the questions stop my task is complete.
That said if you want to help your friend anchor/tether yourself to The Rock and jump in after him. -or- Watch him be swept out to sea, your choice."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LMAO. *As if* someone who can't even spell is SO fucking arrogant, that he actually thinks, with his pathetic "skill set" (his "fruits" as he says) is actually going to change anyone's mind. Hahaha. He has NO training in the very "scripture" he thinks he can "provide clarity" about .... (BTW "clarity" means *his opinion about*). This bullshit that fundies spout about their god, who is SO utterly stupid, it wouldn't KNOW if someone actually said "oh I DO believe" even when they don't, and who could never possibly EVER buy into the bullshit of "faith" is SUCH a pile of dung. It's totally intellectually DISHONEST. There IS NO FUCKING "choice" to buy into this crap, Drich. Wake up. The fact you actually think there IS a choice, is a testament to YOUR intellectual DIShonesty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post