Epicurean paradox defeated.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1.33 Average
23-02-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Epicurean paradox defeated.
(22-02-2014 11:50 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 09:10 PM)Drich Wrote:  Show me where God said He was Omni-benevolent.

The acknowledgement of God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity; this can be seen in Scriptures such as Psalms 18:30: "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him," and Ps.19:7: "The law of the Lord is good, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibenevolence
Laugh out load

Ahh, no.

I am not saying Christians do not believe God is not Omni benevolent. I'm saying God does not claim to be.

Of course Christians see God as Omni benevolent God is 'All Good' to us.. What about those who are not His Children? What of those who are destined for Hell? Would Omni benevolent be an accurate description of God for them?

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2014, 05:48 AM
God does not claim anything because God does not exist, fuckwad.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-02-2014, 05:55 AM
(23-02-2014 05:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  God does not claim anything because God does not exist, fuckwad.

I can see that being away from here for a while has totally gentled your attitude... Girl_nails

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-02-2014, 06:18 AM
(23-02-2014 05:55 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I can see that being away from here for a while has totally gentled your attitude... Girl_nails

I am gentle while I am away and terse when present. You'd love me IRL. ;D

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-02-2014, 07:16 AM
(22-02-2014 10:19 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 10:54 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  You mean YOUR own christianity right?
The bible

Quote:Given you have said that your god is not omni-max,
Again according to the bible God does not claim to be omni max. So If it worship the God OF THE BIBLE then how can I ascribe Omnimax powers to Him when He does not do so for Himself? If I do then it is not the God of the bible I worship anymore is it? It is a God of my own creation and as Epicurus points out such a deity can not exist. But, As the God of the bible Describes Himself, thier isn't any contradiction as to why a deity such as this one can't exist.

Quote:Wait... is THAT what you meant? That epicurus's paradox is not applicable to THE BIBLE'S version of christianity?
there i fixed it for you and the answer to your question is yes.

Ok Drich. Thanks for clarifying. Now to summarize your points:

1) Your interpretation of the bible is unique from other christians (about 44k denominations)
2) In YOUR INTERPRETATION, your god does not claim to be OMNI-MAX. Specifically, he lacks the omnibenevolence

Now on to the conclusion(s):

Main conclusion: Your god (defined by your interpretation of the bible) cannot be included in Epicurus' Paradox. Only omni-max gods are applicable. So, claiming that you defeated the Epicurean paradox is wrong.

Corollary conclusion: Your god (defined by your interpretation of the bible) is not worthy of worship because it is an all-powerful, all-seeing, non-benevolent deity.

Of course, given that you base all of your premises on the circular definition (wrapped around a special pleading fallacy) that is the bible all of this is HYPOTHETICAL and in most cases moot.

But I expect your cognitive dissonance will kick in as it always has, so carry on.

Drinking Beverage

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
23-02-2014, 07:18 AM
(23-02-2014 12:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 11:50 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  The acknowledgement of God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity; this can be seen in Scriptures such as Psalms 18:30: "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him," and Ps.19:7: "The law of the Lord is good, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple."

Laugh out load

Ahh, no.

I am not saying Christians do not believe God is not Omni benevolent. I'm saying God does not claim to be.

Of course Christians see God as Omni benevolent God is 'All Good' to us.. What about those who are not His Children? What of those who are destined for Hell? Would Omni benevolent be an accurate description of God for them?

Ok I saw this a bit too late to change my previous reply. Now you are just changing definitions and moving goal posts. A god that does not love ALL his children is not OMNI (all) BENEVOLENT. Facepalm

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like ivaneus's post
23-02-2014, 08:19 AM
(22-02-2014 10:37 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 09:39 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That is not what "benevolent" means in Latin, you lying fucking idiot.

Laugh out load

References or am I just to take your word on faith?

I provided a link that supports my assertion (actually I plagerized most of what I said from that source) Quid pro quoe Clarisse, Quid pro quoe.

http://en.glosbe.com/en/la/benevolent

*plagiarized

*quo

Your entire assertion here hinges on your fallacious equivocation of the term "benevolent".

BTW your fairy tale verse says "for gawd so loved THE WORLD...", not "for gawd so loved ONLY HIS SPECIAL CHOSEN CHILDREN, AS DETERMINED BY D-WRECK THE DOUCHEBAG..."

Special Pleading, Moving the Goalposts, Equivocation, Quibbling, outright lies...the usual suspects....all you have to argue with.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-02-2014, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 08:36 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(23-02-2014 12:09 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 11:50 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  The acknowledgement of God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity; this can be seen in Scriptures such as Psalms 18:30: "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him," and Ps.19:7: "The law of the Lord is good, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple."

Laugh out load

Ahh, no.

Yet another Special Pleading Fallacy.

And what you fail to realize in your frantic efforts to special plead away the Epicurean problem is that you have shot yourself in your own face: the mythical deity you propse is capricious, childish, malevolent and selfish and not worth the attention, much less the affection or worship, of the good and righteous men and women here in this forum, who are far more moral and better behaved than your imaginary gawd is.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-02-2014, 08:46 AM
(22-02-2014 08:52 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 07:28 PM)joben1 Wrote:  I'd say he's a fucking idiot what with all this satan rubbish.
Here Here!

Oh wait a tick.. In the senerio I provided, You had absolute proof and yet this does not change your answers... HmmmConsider So when did atheism become faith inspite of proof? Or are you saying it has always been that way?

What???? I'd need to know what god is before believing anything he/she/it says. And if he/she/it just started spouting that shit off "I'd say he/she/it is a fucking idiot what with all this satan rubbish."
23-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Makes thread "defeating Epicurean paradox"

Atheists respond in droves

[Image: misaka%20fap.gif]

You go, Drich. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post