Epicurean paradox defeated.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1.33 Average
23-02-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: Epicurean paradox defeated.
(22-02-2014 10:19 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 10:54 PM)ivaneus Wrote:  You mean YOUR own christianity right?
The bible

Quote:Given you have said that your god is not omni-max,
Again according to the bible God does not claim to be omni max. So If it worship the God OF THE BIBLE then how can I ascribe Omnimax powers to Him when He does not do so for Himself? If I do then it is not the God of the bible I worship anymore is it? It is a God of my own creation and as Epicurus points out such a deity can not exist. But, As the God of the bible Describes Himself, thier isn't any contradiction as to why a deity such as this one can't exist.

Quote:Wait... is THAT what you meant? That epicurus's paradox is not applicable to THE BIBLE'S version of christianity?
there i fixed it for you and the answer to your question is yes.

Like I said earlier:

"Drich keeps claiming that god never claimed that he had the attributes mentioned in the paradox. Apparently this is because said attributes are claimed for him by the writers of the babble."

What he can't seem to get into his thick fucking skull is that everything in the babble is written by the writers of said babble. This includes putting all the words supposedly spoken by his god into his/her/its mouth. So Drich only believes what the writers put into his gods mouth, and nothing else that the same writers say about him/her/it is true (apart from some cherry picking of course).

What a fucking idiot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like joben1's post
23-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Epicurean paradox defeated.
1. Re: Omnimax: Is shorthand for omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and/or omnibenevolent being.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnimax

The Christian god is considered to have all of these characteristics plus Eternalness: This is the Christian 5-part nature of God, represented historically as a star. While this may be an esoteric idea contemporarily, it's the reason Pentagrams are seen as "Satanic": They represent cutting off the 5 powers of God.

What Drich is doing is reducing God's power to avoid the Traditional Problem of Good and Evil by cutting off an arm: Which is actually conceding that it is a problem for Christianity.

Then conclusion drawn historically is that God cannot be as defined, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, as it is logically impossible for such a being to exist AND for evil to exist. A lot of semantic gymnastics have been performed around this, including arguments from free will, but the problem stands.

2. Omnibenevolence does not apply to an entity which is only "good" to "His children".

Again, semantic gymnastics, where "God's Children" is now metaphorically interpreted to be "Only True Believers."

If a man has two children, and loves one, and locks the other in the basement chained to a furnace, would we call that man a benevolent father?

According to Drich, we would: The other child deserved to be chained to a furnace, as they were not truly the "Man's Child".

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
23-02-2014, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2014 07:10 PM by Chas.)
(22-02-2014 08:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Facepalm I made it half way through the OP before I recalled an old thread in which Vosur and I addressed this same exact fucking topic. Jesus Hussein Fucking Christ, this argument is so stupendously simple that it makes me laugh. Drich. You are wrong.

See!? See how simple it is!? I am done! Que the victory music. Drinking Beverage

Queue

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2014, 07:06 PM
(22-02-2014 08:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-02-2014 08:17 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Facepalm I made it half way through the OP before I recalled an old thread in which Vosur and I addressed this same exact fucking topic. Jesus Hussein Fucking Christ, this argument is so stupendously simple that it makes me laugh. Drich. You are wrong.

See!? See how simple it is!? I am done! Que the victory music. Drinking Beverage

Have you been to the politics section to meet Frank yet? Frank makes Drich look like a fucking rhode scholar.

Rhodes Scholar

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-02-2014, 07:33 PM
(23-02-2014 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Queue

If he meant "play" the victory music then it's cue. If he meant "prepare" the victory music then it's queue, like to put the music in a line or order. It seems like he meant "play" so I think grammatically it would be cue.

Am I wrong?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
23-02-2014, 07:46 PM
(23-02-2014 07:33 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Queue

If he meant "play" the victory music then it's cue. If he meant "prepare" the victory music then it's queue, like to put the music in a line or order. It seems like he meant "play" so I think grammatically it would be cue.

Am I wrong?

Indeed, it's "cue".

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-02-2014, 08:40 PM
(23-02-2014 07:33 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(23-02-2014 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Queue

Am I wrong?

No you're not wrong.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-02-2014, 08:46 PM
If you were setting more than one song in order, that would be putting them in a "queue". But to "put on" a song is to "cue" it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-02-2014, 08:49 PM
It took 32 pages before anything of note or worth came into this thread.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-02-2014, 09:10 PM
(23-02-2014 08:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It took 32 pages before anything of note or worth came into this thread.

Cue or queue is of utmost import. Smile

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post