Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality, Study Suggests and the culprit is ... wait for it ... drum roll please ... testosterone. duh.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-12-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
(14-12-2012 11:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality, Study Suggests and the culprit is ... wait for it ... drum roll please ... testosterone. duh.
Say what? "Homosexuality is nevertheless common for men and women in most cultures." This kinda contradicts the whole article - it cannot be both genetically determined and yet not exist in all cultures.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
14-12-2012, 12:20 PM
(14-12-2012 11:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 11:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality, Study Suggests and the culprit is ... wait for it ... drum roll please ... testosterone. duh.
Say what? "Homosexuality is nevertheless common for men and women in most cultures." This kinda contradicts the whole article - it cannot be both genetically determined and yet not exist in all cultures.

Nope. "Most" is the proper term since it cannot be accurately measured in cultures where it is taboo to even discuss it. And even so they're not proposing it's genetically determined but rather through gene expression which can be influenced exogenously.

14-12-2012, 12:23 PM
(14-12-2012 12:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nope. "Most" is the proper term since it cannot be accurately measured in cultures where it is taboo to even discuss it. And even so they're not proposing it's genetically determined but rather through gene expression which can be influenced exogenously.
Okay, not genetically. Biologically. Whatever the term is. But it's not cultural.

Sounds like they're trying to be a bit too PC. Cause I'm willing to bet my knickers (or head, whichever) that it exists everywhere.

Just a minor gripe of an editor at heart Smile

14-12-2012, 01:41 PM
(14-12-2012 12:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 12:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nope. "Most" is the proper term since it cannot be accurately measured in cultures where it is taboo to even discuss it. And even so they're not proposing it's genetically determined but rather through gene expression which can be influenced exogenously.
Okay, not genetically. Biologically. Whatever the term is. But it's not cultural.

Well first off, despite one of the co-authors claim that "Transmission of sexually antagonistic epi-marks between generations is the most plausible evolutionary mechanism of the phenomenon of human homosexuality.", this is just a provocative biomathematical model at this point, so it should be taken with a grain of salt if at all. But think it could actually help explain cultural differences of the prevalence of homosexuality (if any) since different physical environments might be either agonistic or antagonistic (or neither) to the expression of particular genes. It's interesting, at least.

And there's a very good reason my Androgel has an FDA "Black Box Warning" to avoid secondary transfer and exposure to women (especially pregnant women) and children. Curiously, they don't seem to give a shit about secondary transfer to other men. I should give Hellbound more hugs. Maybe then he wouldn't be such a pussy.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-12-2012, 01:47 PM
This kinda reminds me of an epi of ReGenesis, where someone has discovered the gene responsible for homosexuality (obvs, it's science fiction, though much more science science fiction, than most) and that sparked a discussion about the responsibility that such knowledge entails, should scientists start looking into a "cure" for it, etc. I found it rather interesting and thought-provoking.

14-12-2012, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 07:36 PM by earmuffs.)
I don't like these studies, I can't help but think there is some second agenda too them.
Like if we can figure out what causes homosexuality then perhaps we can make a pill that will stop it, which just makes my blood boil, the idea that homosexuality needs a "cure".

I also disagree with the statement saying it goes against evolution.
I think it probably came about as a form of population control. Part of the problem of getting a species too big is that you run out of food and everyone in that species dies, so it's sort of a control to keep the numbers at a certain level.
Though maybe not. But there are just over 600 animal species that display homosexuality so to say it's "unnatural" is also false. And if it's against evolution, then how has it occurred in over 600 animals?
Hell, menopause only occurs in humans and Killer Whales.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-12-2012, 08:27 AM
(14-12-2012 07:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I don't like these studies, I can't help but think there is some second agenda too them.
Like if we can figure out what causes homosexuality then perhaps we can make a pill that will stop it, which just makes my blood boil, the idea that homosexuality needs a "cure".

There is a not so hidden agenda but that ain't it. They're scientists. They need to be provocative enough to get additional funding.

(14-12-2012 07:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I also disagree with the statement saying it goes against evolution.

What statement? They're explicitly trying to find an evolutionary explanation.

19-12-2012, 07:19 PM
The most plausible explanation I've heard so far (no I don't have citations, my 'puter died so it's mobile adventures for me for awhile) that takes into account both it's vgenetic component and prevalence across species is that it is an evolutionary variation in sexuality that evolved to allow for more peaceful coexistence.

There is a higher incidencce of homosexuality in men who are the third (or more) boy born to the same woman while the incidence of homosexuality in women tends to stay relatively stable. Genetically it has been explained as the woman's body becomes more sensitive to the testosterone and suppresses it. Posited as an explanation for its evolution is that when the number of young males in a population increases to the point of exceeding the population of young females, aggression increases as competition does. This leads to more in-fighting as well as warring with neighboring groups and puts the whole community at risk. The increase of homosexuality would stem the tide of male population imbalance.

For homosexual females, it doesn't have as big a selective pressure, either way, because females seek companionship from other females in most social animals but will seek relationships with males for reproductive reasons regardless of sexual preference.

Totally unsourced and unsupported for now so take it or leave it, but in the end, homosexuality is a normal healthy variation on sexuality and everyone who thinks it needs a cure can get stuffed. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post
21-12-2012, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2012 09:06 PM by Janus.)
(14-12-2012 12:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  

Sounds like they're trying to be a bit too PC. Cause I'm willing to bet my knickers (or head, whichever) that it exists everywhere.

AND in roughly the same percentages if you could filter out the effects of taboos a.k.a. 'conventions', or 'traditions'.

And to complicate the scene a little more:
in south Kalimantan, on the island of Borneo, the people officially, culturally, recognize 5 (five) specific sexes! 3 male sexes and 2 female sexes. And plenty of mixes of those too!
Now if that also holds true for the rest of humanity, only we didn't 'see it' until now, then there are interesting if confusing times ahead! Tongue