Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 09:14 PM
RE: Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
(22-12-2012 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 09:14 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Dunno... does it matter either way?

Depends what you mean by matter. Socially? No. (Or at least it shouldn't.) Scientifically? Obviously yes. Some researchers get a wild hair up their ass and can't rest until they've plucked it. That's one of the ways science advances. It matters a great deal to me indirectly in that epigenetics may eventually provide mechanisms for reversing my insulin resistance or even obesity. The more we know about modeling and eventually manipulating genetic expression in general the better.
Why can't you just eat less fat?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2012, 11:04 PM
(22-12-2012 08:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly ain't never told you that.

And ain't no one else ever told her that either.

I'm confused. I originally thought that Girlyman was joking, then my friend Jess said, "Sweetie, I think he was serious," and so I responded as if he were and now I have absolutely no idea what you two are saying. But, um okay. Sure, sounds good. I find you guys strangely fascinating.
[+] 2 users Like ScienceGeek2587's post
22-12-2012, 11:11 PM
(22-12-2012 11:04 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  I find you guys strangely fascinating.
I know that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to Girly, and I'm pretty sure it is for me too. Hobo

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-12-2012, 09:03 AM
(22-12-2012 11:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 11:04 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  I find you guys strangely fascinating.
I know that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to Girly, and I'm pretty sure it is for me too. Hobo

That's me, The Awkward Compliments Queen.
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post
23-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I keep waiting for nature and/or evolution to counteract the invasion of this planet by big rats that reproduce like rabbits and destroy everything in sight. (human rats that is)

Maybe homosexuality is one of the possiblities. Should we get to a point where the majority is gay etc, it would certainly cut down on the overpopulation.

Throw in a few diseases caused by thoughtlessly processed foods and the human race might actually make it in the long run.

Something has to put an end to the "go forth and multiply" business.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(23-12-2012 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Something has to put an end to the "go forth and multiply" business.
Good luck with that in South Africa, India and China. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
23-12-2012, 04:41 PM
(23-12-2012 03:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-12-2012 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  Something has to put an end to the "go forth and multiply" business.
Good luck with that in South Africa, India and China. Drinking Beverage

The people in the states multiply like crazy too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-12-2012, 07:17 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2012 07:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-12-2012 11:04 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 08:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  And ain't no one else ever told her that either.

I'm confused. I originally thought that Girlyman was joking, then my friend Jess said, "Sweetie, I think he was serious," and so I responded as if he were and now I have absolutely no idea what you two are saying. But, um okay. Sure, sounds good. I find you guys strangely fascinating.

No, that was just Girly being a prick. I apologize for my prickness, but it's inevitably gonna happen again. ... And then I'll apologize for going prick again.

(22-12-2012 04:48 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  A population cannot be culturally isolated without also being genetically isolated. The two populations may share a genetic history, but culturally selective reproductive pressures would eliminate "undesirable" traits and so it is impossible to eliminate a genetic cause in favor of an epigenetic one or vice versa without an assay of the genetic code.

I'm not at all sure that premise is self-evident. We're talking about a genetically isolated population to begin with by virtue of them living on an island. Again, the paper in reference to these posts is talking about different tribes in New Guinea which necessarily share a nearly identical genetic code but which have different cultures which display different sexual behavior. Not saying I buy any of it, but I don't see how it can be dismissed out of hand.

(22-12-2012 04:48 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  While there is research looking for a "gay gene" no specific sequence has been found.

Which is precisely why the authors of the paper in the OP started looking at a biomathematical epigenetic model in the first place.

Hope I made my point this time without being a prick, but being a prick just comes too easy so I likely failed again.

(23-12-2012 09:03 AM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 11:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I know that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to Girly, and I'm pretty sure it is for me too. Hobo

That's me, The Awkward Compliments Queen.

At least you didn't respond in kind. You get props for that. Thumbsup

(22-12-2012 09:14 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Why can't you just eat less fat?

'Cause I lose weight on an all fat/protein diet and gain weight when I add carbs, silly boy.

This is not my signature.
24-12-2012, 09:02 PM
How do you lose fat by eating more fat? that doesn't make sense.
24-12-2012, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2012 09:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-12-2012 09:02 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  How do you lose fat by eating more fat? that doesn't make sense.
Laughat

hahahahahaha, you funnyman. ... check out ketosis ... no fuck that,don't check out shit. .... you funnyman. Laughat

This is not my signature.