Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2012, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2012 09:24 PM by FZUMedia.)
RE: Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
Dunno... does it matter either way? I don't really care if it's nature or nurture as long as they aren't hurting people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2012, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 08:15 AM by Vera.)
(21-12-2012 09:14 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Dunno... does it matter either way? I don't really care if it's nature or nurture as long as they aren't hurting people.
How about blue-eyed people? Are they also okay as long as they are not hurting people? How about left-handed ones? Short ones? Tall ones? Why do only gay people require the proviso "as long as they are not hurting people"?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
22-12-2012, 07:52 AM
As I understand it the relevant twin studies suggest that homosexuality is more strongly correlated to genetics than left-handedness is, but that said many identical twins are opposite-handed - one left and one right. Clearly there are factors outside pure genetics that influence things, and although detractors jump quickly to the conclusion that this is a nature vs nurture question the likely truth has for a long time pointed to some sort of epigenetic factor such as in utero hormone absorbtion.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
22-12-2012, 08:32 AM
(22-12-2012 03:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-12-2012 09:14 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Dunno... does it matter either way? I don't really care if it's nature or nurture as long as they aren't hurting people.
How about blue-eyed people? Are they also okay as long as they are not hurting people? How about left-handed ones? Short ones? Tall ones? Why do only gay people require the proviso "as long as they are not hurting people"?

I guess FZUMedia has a sensitive sphincter, Vera.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
22-12-2012, 08:38 AM
(22-12-2012 08:32 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 03:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  How about blue-eyed people? Are they also okay as long as they are not hurting people? How about left-handed ones? Short ones? Tall ones? Why do only gay people require the proviso "as long as they are not hurting people"?

I guess FZUMedia has a sensitive sphincter, Vera.
You just made a powerful enemy. And it wasn't me Laughat

22-12-2012, 09:22 AM
(22-12-2012 03:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  
People are talking about gay people as if it's bad, I just don't understand the argument that being gay is more acceptable if it's nature or nurture.
22-12-2012, 09:38 AM
(22-12-2012 09:22 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  People are talking about gay people as if it's bad, I just don't understand the argument that being gay is more acceptable if it's nature or nurture.
Well, not in this thread they weren't. And to me the question of it being acceptable (or not) doesn't even arise.

Those who find it unacceptable, however, would prefer it to be due to nurture, as it can be changed or avoided. If it is nature, however, then it's a whole different story. To them.

22-12-2012, 10:08 AM
(14-12-2012 12:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 12:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nope. "Most" is the proper term since it cannot be accurately measured in cultures where it is taboo to even discuss it. And even so they're not proposing it's genetically determined but rather through gene expression which can be influenced exogenously.
Okay, not genetically. Biologically. Whatever the term is. But it's not cultural.

Sounds like they're trying to be a bit too PC. Cause I'm willing to bet my knickers (or head, whichever) that it exists everywhere.

Just a minor gripe of an editor at heart Smile
I have a muslim friend who claims gay people don't exist in egypt. Huh When I told him that it was statistically impossible he of course told me I'm crazy.

Accurate statements should of course be accurate haha. Statistically it seems implausible and impossible to not exist in all cultures.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-12-2012, 12:32 PM
(22-12-2012 10:08 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 12:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  Okay, not genetically. Biologically. Whatever the term is. But it's not cultural.

Sounds like they're trying to be a bit too PC. Cause I'm willing to bet my knickers (or head, whichever) that it exists everywhere.

Just a minor gripe of an editor at heart Smile
I have a muslim friend who claims gay people don't exist in egypt. Huh When I told him that it was statistically impossible he of course told me I'm crazy.

Accurate statements should of course be accurate haha. Statistically it seems implausible and impossible to not exist in all cultures.
I'd ask him if he has ever asked every single Egyptian, and if so, how he persuaded them to confide such information without fear for their lives.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
22-12-2012, 12:35 PM
(21-12-2012 09:14 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Dunno... does it matter either way?

Depends what you mean by matter. Socially? No. (Or at least it shouldn't.) Scientifically? Obviously yes. Some researchers get a wild hair up their ass and can't rest until they've plucked it. That's one of the ways science advances. It matters a great deal to me indirectly in that epigenetics may eventually provide mechanisms for reversing my insulin resistance or even obesity. The more we know about modeling and eventually manipulating genetic expression in general the better.

(22-12-2012 03:00 AM)Vera Wrote:  How about blue-eyed people? Are they also okay as long as they are not hurting people? How about left-handed ones?

Well to be fair, us left-handed people do tend to hurt people. But it's usually by accident because you righties designed that fucking circular saw without considering us. Not my fault it got away from me and cut off your fucking finger while you were holding the goddam 2x4.

The 18 Worst Things For Left-Handed People Big Grin

(22-12-2012 10:08 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I have a muslim friend who claims gay people don't exist in egypt. Huh When I told him that it was statistically impossible he of course told me I'm crazy.

Here's a paper by a biochemist which cites some anthropological evidence for some isolated cultures which apparently do not exhibit any homosexual behavior. What do different cultures tell us about homosexuality? While the paper itself is pretty decent as a literature survey of various relevant anthropological studies there are a few caveats I considered: 1) dude's a biochemist not a geneticist or an anthropologist, 2) I sense at least of whiff of homophobia at his website, and most importantly, 3) it's moot with respect to the paper in the OP since the authors weren't arguing for a genetic basis but rather an epigenetic basis. An epigenetic basis could in fact explain cultural differences (if any exist). I'd still recommend giving the paper a read, though.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.