Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2012, 12:38 PM
RE: Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
(22-12-2012 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well to be fair, us left-handed people do tend to hurt people. But it's usually by accident because you righties designed that fucking circular saw without considering us. Not my fault it got away from me and cut off your fucking finger while you were holding the goddam 2x4.
Who you calling right-handed?!?!?!? Angry

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2012, 12:43 PM
(22-12-2012 12:38 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well to be fair, us left-handed people do tend to hurt people. But it's usually by accident because you righties designed that fucking circular saw without considering us. Not my fault it got away from me and cut off your fucking finger while you were holding the goddam 2x4.
Who you calling right-handed?!?!?!? Angry

Now you're just reinforcing my point. Although in your case the question of intent is less clear. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
22-12-2012, 12:55 PM
(22-12-2012 12:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Now you're just reinforcing my point. Although in your case the question of intent is less clear. Big Grin
Eh? I think you lost me. Which point? Sadcryface

22-12-2012, 01:42 PM
(22-12-2012 12:55 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 12:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Now you're just reinforcing my point. Although in your case the question of intent is less clear. Big Grin
Eh? I think you lost me. Which point? Sadcryface

That lefties hurt people, silly. Tongue

22-12-2012, 01:45 PM
(22-12-2012 01:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That lefties hurt people, silly. Tongue
No, we don't! We be nice, gentle folks. Using scissors can be tricky though... took me forever to realise I wasn't the clumsiest person on earth

22-12-2012, 02:41 PM
(22-12-2012 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here's a paper by a biochemist which cites some anthropological evidence for some isolated cultures which apparently do not exhibit any homosexual behavior... it's moot with respect to the paper in the OP since the authors weren't arguing for a genetic basis but rather an epigenetic basis. An epigenetic basis could in fact explain cultural differences (if any exist).

Science moment - an isolated population without any homosexual individuals could exist whether homosexuality is genetic, or epigenetic. The same way such a population could exist without any blond members, or any whorls in fingerprints, or without any fans of the Beatles. Isolated means both genetically isolated AND culturally isolated. If either claim (genetic or epigenetic) was made in that paper without explicating why the other could not, the whole paper is suspect.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum, this message brought to you by:

The "Science bitches, it works!" Foundation, and the "Oh Please, Doesn't Anyone Take Population Genetics Anymore?" Association of Nerds With Too Much Time
22-12-2012, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 04:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-12-2012 02:41 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Here's a paper by a biochemist which cites some anthropological evidence for some isolated cultures which apparently do not exhibit any homosexual behavior... it's moot with respect to the paper in the OP since the authors weren't arguing for a genetic basis but rather an epigenetic basis. An epigenetic basis could in fact explain cultural differences (if any exist).

Science moment - an isolated population without any homosexual individuals could exist whether homosexuality is genetic, or epigenetic. The same way such a population could exist without any blond members, or any whorls in fingerprints, or without any fans of the Beatles. Isolated means both genetically isolated AND culturally isolated.

Since the paper was comparing different tribes on the island of New Guinea which were all culturally isolated from each other but all genetically related, do me the courtesy of at least reading the fucking paper before you feel the need to give me a fucking "Science moment". ... ScienceGeek my ass. ... More like LazyAssGeek.
Blush ... Well that was a bit aggressive and prickish, looks like I could skip my dose of Androgel tonight ... nah, fuck it. Dude not only commented on but also criticized a paper without having read it. Unforgivable sin.

22-12-2012, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 05:57 PM by ScienceGeek2587.)
(22-12-2012 04:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 02:41 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  Science moment - an isolated population without any homosexual individuals could exist whether homosexuality is genetic, or epigenetic. The same way such a population could exist without any blond members, or any whorls in fingerprints, or without any fans of the Beatles. Isolated means both genetically isolated AND culturally isolated.

Since the paper was comparing different tribes on the island of New Guinea which were all culturally isolated from each other but all genetically related, do me the courtesy of at least reading the fucking paper before you feel the need to give me a fucking "Science moment". ... ScienceGeek my ass. ... More like LazyAssGeek.

LMAO, I like you, you increase the fun of this forum.

Edit: My over-the-shoulder friend (you know the one, just reads over your shoulder ordering you to visit sites and makes comments on what you should say) told me that you may have been serious.

A population cannot be culturally isolated without also being genetically isolated. The two populations may share a genetic history, but culturally selective reproductive pressures would eliminate "undesirable" traits and so it is impossible to eliminate a genetic cause in favor of an epigenetic one or vice versa without an assay of the genetic code. While there is research looking for a "gay gene" no specific sequence has been found.
[+] 1 user Likes ScienceGeek2587's post
22-12-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 08:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-12-2012 04:48 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  told me that you may have been serious.

Girly ain't never told you that.

Girly might have a different idea of serious, bitch.

22-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality
(22-12-2012 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:48 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  told me that you may have been serious.

Girly ain't never told you that.

And ain't no one else ever told her that either.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My