Eric Hovind: Debating God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 05:33 AM
Eric Hovind: Debating God.
To start off, I would like to say: I do not know if this has been mentioned here or not, my apologies if it has been.

I decided to look up "The Thinking Atheist" on google, just to see what would happen.

After about five pages containing not much made independently from the atheist movement, I discovered an article on Creation Today.

Apparently, this article was written by good ol' Eric Hovind on January 3rd, 2012, THE “THINKING” ATHEIST.

In the article, our good friend Hovind says that it is pointless for atheists to debate the existence of God.

Quote:Think about it: For an atheist to be consistent with the very idea of atheism means that debating is absurd. The whole concept of debate assumes someone is right and someone else is wrong; so right away you are assuming a standard by which this truth can be measured, i.e., absolute truth. However, the atheist will deny absolute truth from the onset. To be a true atheist, you must eventually deny all knowledge.

So, I want to know your thoughts on this guys 'N gals.

What do you think of the article, if you read it? Is it pointless to debate? Whatever your feelings.

Also, do you guys think Seth is aware of and might be interested in the article? I'd kinda like to inform him, but am not sure how..

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2012, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 05:49 AM by Logisch.)
RE: Eric Hovind: Debating God.
I don't think anyone is interested in what Eric Hovind has to say. He's a presuppositionalist, and if you watch any of his videos his answer when someone asks him how he "knows" any of this his answer is: "you won't like my answer, but i know all of this through the bible."

So in a nutshell, his knowledge, his answers, and everything he proposes comes down to: "Uhhhh cuz bible."

To debate that.... is a waste of time.

This is usually how it goes:

Guy: How do you know that?
Eric: I know it through the innerant word of god.
Guy: No I mean how do you KNOW?
Eric: Well you won't like my answer, but my answer is that it's in the bible, and you have to read it, understand it and believe it and then you can receive the truth.

Obviously that's not verbatim, but his argument in a nutshell.

Here's a fun example:

27-09-2012, 05:48 AM
I just figured it was something of note, maybe good to get opinions on...

And I'm familiar with his tactics... I managed to survive his interview with Thunderf00t and his time on the Magic Sandwich show... My head hurt, I'll admit.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
27-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Yeah, his arguments frustrate the shit out of me. So dense.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
27-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Eric Hovind debates? What?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
27-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I thought he was in jail?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
27-09-2012, 10:24 AM
(27-09-2012 10:23 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I thought he was in jail?

That was daddy, but he's young so give him some timeDrinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
27-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Truth is truth and fact is fact. Our ability to discern whether or not what we know is 100% truth or 100% fact is lacking, thus we discuss our knowledge with an air of uncertainty and error.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
27-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Only Sith deal in absolutes.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
27-09-2012, 03:26 PM
"The concept of atheism eliminates the very need for debate. If the atheist’s worldview is correct, then we are nothing but the result of accidental chemical processes and our thoughts are merely chemical reactions that take place in our brain. Therefore, nothing you ever do, or say, or even believe, matters. In the end, we all go back to “star dust.” So, why argue? Why waste your time talking to someone about the truth or falsehood of something when it doesn’t matter in the end?"

That's an epic fail on all accounts. I don't know how many times I have to spell it out for people like him, but atheism has absolutely nothing to do with one's worldview. The one and only thing atheism adresses is a lack of belief in deities. The author of that text also fails to realize that even if god were to exist, our thoughts would still be chemical processes in our brain.

"[...] However, if atheism is true, then arguing has no purpose."

Atheism can't be "true" or "false", because it neither asserts anything, nor does it make any positive claims.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]