Eric Hovind provides evidence for creationism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2015, 10:01 AM
RE: Eric Hovind provides evidence for creationism
(23-08-2015 08:33 AM)Aliza Wrote:  The most relevant portion of this video is between 21:40 and around 26:55. I’m not exactly active in the creationism community, so I’m not sure if his arguments would be considered new material or the same old tired crap that they’ve been spouting off for decades.

I should also point out that I’m only majorING in a science… I have no credentials of my own to speak from a position of authority, but that switcharoo he does with gravity to magnetism is…. Well, what the heck is that? Somebody please help me understand what he did there. Blink

And finally, let me tip my hat to Eric for his use of the word, “exponential”. That’s a big word, Eric, and you’ve done a great job pronouncing it. =D

Is he seriously using population growth as an argument for creationism? He understands nothing about population growth, I've seen this sophistry with other creationists on this forum, they think you can simply double population rates and explain population growth, the fact they would even attempt this, shows a stunning amount of ignorance.

He even suggests difficulty with small populations over a long period of time, but apparently brushes aside the difficulties with the population bottlenecks of the creation event and the flood event.

Creationism has to contend with two population bottlenecks and cannot seriously address this issue. The flood event has problems with population bottlenecks for all species on Earth, most flood proponents have to assert that not only has EVERY SINGLE SPECIES breezed right through the population bottlenecks, but every species was able to branch off at least 500-1000 species from each of the ill-defined "kinds" the Noahtic flood asserts.

So each "kind" spawns 500-1000 species and each of these species populates enough to fill up their entire species with a viable population and in less than 4500 years!

Utter nonsense!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
23-08-2015, 10:05 AM
(23-08-2015 10:01 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So each "kind" spawns 500-1000 species and each of these species populates enough to fill up their entire species with a viable population and in less than 4500 years!

and they all disperse to appropriate regions of the globe, traversing hostile environments along the way, without leaving any traces of migration

makes sense to me
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-08-2015, 10:06 AM
(23-08-2015 09:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 09:27 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  What is your religion, if I may ask?

Oh, I'm sorry. I had that in a previous edit and I guess it got cut. I'm Jewish.
Ok, this is what is confusing to me, if you are managing to reconcile science and religion and hold the position that you say you do, then you must take your scripture very loosely ( to put it mildly ) since it contains unscientific claims.
But then, doesn't your religion requires you to take those claims as literal truth?
Can you really call yourself Jewish or you are just making up your own religion?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
23-08-2015, 10:16 AM
(23-08-2015 10:06 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 09:40 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Oh, I'm sorry. I had that in a previous edit and I guess it got cut. I'm Jewish.
Ok, this is what is confusing to me, if you are managing to reconcile science and religion and hold the position that you say you do, then you must take your scripture very loosely ( to put it mildly ) since it contains unscientific claims.
But then, doesn't your religion requires you to take those claims as literal truth?
Can you really call yourself Jewish or you are just making up your own religion?

Even if I'm practicing my own religion, I'd still be a theist.

Maybe you can give me something specific for me to try to address? Let's just start with one, and I'll see if I'm able to provide some information on it.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-08-2015, 10:23 AM
(23-08-2015 10:16 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 10:06 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Ok, this is what is confusing to me, if you are managing to reconcile science and religion and hold the position that you say you do, then you must take your scripture very loosely ( to put it mildly ) since it contains unscientific claims.

Maybe you can give me something specific for me to try to address? Let's just start with one, and I'll see if I'm able to provide some information on it.

Story of creation at odds with science.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-08-2015, 10:28 AM
(23-08-2015 10:06 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Ok, this is what is confusing to me, if you are managing to reconcile science and religion and hold the position that you say you do, then you must take your scripture very loosely ( to put it mildly ) since it contains unscientific claims.

Ouch. Bit rough there, mate. I've known many well educated Christians (and a few Jews) who believe in e.g. evolution. Even the pope believes in evolution.
[+] 3 users Like jockmcdock's post
23-08-2015, 10:36 AM
(23-08-2015 10:28 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

Ouch. Bit rough there, mate. I've known many well educated Christians (and a few Jews) who believe in e.g. evolution. Even the pope believes in evolution.

Agreed. But some may say that if you are not following a literal interpretation of God's Word,*technically* you are making up your own religion.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-08-2015, 10:36 AM
(23-08-2015 10:28 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

Yes, but... well, you know. Catholics.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-08-2015, 10:44 AM
(23-08-2015 10:16 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

Oh, I am not questioning you being a theist, I just found it strange that somebody can reconcile two, in my opinion irreconcilable things.

Jenny's example will work just fine. I hope that you don't need me to go to a specific lines in the story of creation? But if you do , how about Earth existing before the sun does. How can there even be "day one, two..." before there is sun?

So in short, science says that Sun is (billions of years) older then the Earth and your religion claims the opposite.

What of the two claims you hold to be the truth?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
23-08-2015, 10:44 AM
At work.

Watched vid.

Bit in question is Erik flubbing the scrip and they don't/haven't edited in the correction.

Pretty sure people would have noticed a change in gravity. Tongue