Eric Metaxas in WSJ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 11:38 AM
RE: Eric Metaxas in WSJ
(27-12-2014 11:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 10:50 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There are only two tenable positions: atheism and pantheism. And for all intents and purpose they are the same.
Well, no, not really. They are total opposites.

It's not a linear scale Egosilly. It's a circular scale. And the difference between "God is nowhere." and "God is everywhere." is purely a matter of semantics. Silly Ego®.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 12:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-12-2014 10:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Logic is necessary, but not sufficient.

Not to mention there are many different logics, some less sensible but no less valid than others.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
27-12-2014, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 12:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-12-2014 11:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Not that I really care,

Yet clearly you really do. A 2 person cult at YOUR age ? What a failed enterprise this Veri-dick-ism is.

(27-12-2014 11:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I mean, really, who'd want to live like you? Even assuming the stuff you say about yourself is true (which it can't all be true). You spend your life insulting people on an atheist forum. I may be a cult leader, but at least I'm trying to do something original and positive. You're just existing, at best on your father's dime and under his thumb, at worst, you're a pathetic liar who gets off in some fantasy world online. You sound jaded and angry and pissed off all the time. You sound like someone who hasn't gotten one damn thing out of life. All you do is shout to the world, "You're all just as fucked up as me! ha ha!" You sound like a prisoner of life.

That's not what you were saying yesterday. Dementia rearing it's ugly head again ?
I only insult fool theists here, who have no legitimate arguments. The rest (the VAST majority here) I have a very jovial cordial relationship with. That you would know, except you ONLY think of the world as it relates to YOU. You are the very definition of a narcissist. "Insults" make no difference UNLESS they sting as the CONTENT of the arguments are valid. You have no valid arguments. Since you are angry and pissed off all the time, all you can do is "bite me", and "so what". What ? You ACTUALLY are SO deluded you think anyone was going to actually buy into your garbage here this time around ? Yet again, instead of discussing issues, all you can do is deflect and insult.
2-person cult leading is nothing but Ego-feeding. It's not positive at all. But you keep telling yourself that. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-12-2014, 12:17 PM
(27-12-2014 11:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  [quote='Gordon' pid='708001' dateline='1419700461']
Not that I really care,

Yet clearly you really do. A 2 person cult at YOUR age ? What a failed enterprise this Veri-dick-ism is.

Do I correctly discern that Gordon is the founder/inventor of Vericanism?

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
27-12-2014, 12:21 PM
(27-12-2014 10:03 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Do not read any other part of the Bible. Don't look at any of it. You don't need to. The Gospels, when they were written, were stand alone documents. When they were written, there was no Bible and no "Church." Everyone was still trying to figure out what Jesus was all about.

There was Judaism. Jesus was a Jew, as were all the Apostles, and everything they said and did and wrote came out of the context of Judaism. There may have been no "Bible" as we have it today, but all the books of the modern Old Testament had been written and were in circulation, and many of them had obtained sacred status. Jesus and the writers of the Gospels were certainly aware of, and quoted from, the Torah, the Psalms, Isaiah and the other prophets, etc. Much of what's in the Gospels fails to make sense without that context. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me" takes on a whole different meaning if you recognize it as the opening of a Psalm. Whether you're reading the New Testament as revelation or simply as literature, you'll get more out of it if you're familiar with the Old Testament.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
27-12-2014, 12:36 PM
(27-12-2014 12:17 PM)claywise Wrote:  Do I correctly discern that Gordon is the founder/inventor of Vericanism?

Veridicanism, yes. That is if it can even be said to exist at this point in time. The foundational text (The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ) is under revision. The systematic theology has not been laid out. All that can be said is it is a religious philosophy based on following only the teachings of Jesus Christ and no one else.

It will probably be two months before the VGJC is published. It will probably be a year after that before there are introductory articles in all the boards of the fourm outlining the systematic theology.

After that, I don't know--a society of some form, I suppose. But what would be the requirements?

I suppose there would have to be some kind of creed that people would say they either agree with or do not agree with.

Then I intend to go on and just try to preach the Gospel in whatever avenue the Lord opens up to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2014, 12:43 PM
(27-12-2014 12:36 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It will probably be a year after that before there are introductory articles in all the boards of the fourm outlining the systematic theology.

You clearly have no clue of the effort and intellect required for a systematic theology. Church Dogmatics took Barth 35 years.

I've read Karl Barth. I've studied Karl Barth. And you sir are no Karl Barth.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-12-2014, 12:44 PM
(27-12-2014 12:21 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  There was Judaism. Jesus was a Jew, as were all the Apostles, and everything they said and did and wrote came out of the context of Judaism. There may have been no "Bible" as we have it today, but all the books of the modern Old Testament had been written and were in circulation, and many of them had obtained sacred status. Jesus and the writers of the Gospels were certainly aware of, and quoted from, the Torah, the Psalms, Isaiah and the other prophets, etc. Much of what's in the Gospels fails to make sense without that context.

1. The Gospels are not history books. I don't care what mainstream Christianity tries to make them out to be. They are salvation tools. The words that are written, when read and understood, lead to a spiritual rebirth.

Granted, a person may be confused if they truly knew nothing of Israel, temples, Pharisees, etc. But I really believe a person could be completely ignorant of those things and still the Gospels would make sense. Obviously Pharisees and scribes are religious leaders, and it's pretty obvious the temple is a church.

Would some remote Chinese person living out in the sticks of Mongolia somewhere be able to understand it. I really think they would, but hey, if not, in our day and age, them having the Old Testament probably wouldn't help much either. Somebody would have to teach it to them.

Quote:"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me" takes on a whole different meaning if you recognize it as the opening of a Psalm. Whether you're reading the New Testament as revelation or simply as literature, you'll get more out of it if you're familiar with the Old Testament.

No, no. That particular saying of Christ is best understood with no knowledge of the Psalms. It is one of the most dire warnings in the Gospel. A terrible, final warning to us all. He isn't quoting the Psalms. No
27-12-2014, 12:54 PM
(27-12-2014 12:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You clearly have no clue of the effort and intellect required for a systematic theology. Church Dogmatics took Barth 35 years.

I've read Karl Barth. I've studied Karl Barth. And you sir are no Karl Barth.

No I'm not. But If I don't write the systematic theology for Veridicanism, it ain't gonna get written.

And I've been developing this over 20 years. It's ready to start getting written. The first part, really, is making sure the VGJC is ready to go in a final form. I had not synthesized the birth narratives, there were grammar problems, and the preface needed revision. Not to mention, I want to make it look aesthetically more pleasing on the page, but that's a publishing consideration, not a theological one.

The snowball has formed, it's about to start rolling down the hill.

Oh, and I see you're absolute vile nature expressed in your atheism. You're a dead spirit good only for throwing into the fire of hell, a total failure to develop as God intended you to be. You might as well be a tree or a stalk of corn, at least you'd be serving out the purpose of your Creator. Give Karl Barth my regards. He's obviously had a great impact on you. [Image: laughloud.gif]
27-12-2014, 01:01 PM
(27-12-2014 11:14 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Veridicanism, yes. That is if it can even be said to exist at this point in time. The foundational text (The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ) is under revision. The systematic theology has not been laid out. All that can be said is it is a religious philosophy based on following only the teachings of Jesus Christ and no one else.

It will probably be two months before the VGJC is published. It will probably be a year after that before there are introductory articles in all the boards of the fourm outlining the systematic theology.

After that, I don't know--a society of some form, I suppose. But what would be the requirements?

I suppose there would have to be some kind of creed that people would say they either agree with or do not agree with.

Then I intend to go on and just try to preach the Gospel in whatever avenue the Lord opens up to me.

A 2-person "society" ? . Yes You're hysterical.
You mean all this garbage like the last time you said you couldn't talk to us as you were SOO frickin busy getting it ready to present to the world.
Yawn
Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result ?

"All the forums". Really ? ALL the ones he's been banned from ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.