Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 01:23 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
Indeedy, Momsy! I *was* thinking of you and it did make me smile, too Heart

But now I'll have to love you and leave you all: apparently, school's out Laugh out load

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-06-2017, 01:26 PM
(03-06-2017 01:17 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Kurzweil is fun to read but it's best not to take him too seriously.
Exactly.
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He puts a lot of stock in the idea that if there's been exponential growth in the past it will continue into the future. It might; it might not. Predictions are hard to get right, especially when they're about the future.
And as I pointed out, even if he's right about growth, it's growth in speed and affordability of raw compute resources, which says ZERO about how effectively those resources are used or deployed to then ends he hopes they will be.

to your point, the computer that beat that asian game can't even play chess.

the growth acceleration has slowed down already. just saying.
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 01:30 PM
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Kurzweil is fun to read but it's best not to take him too seriously.
Exactly.
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He puts a lot of stock in the idea that if there's been exponential growth in the past it will continue into the future. It might; it might not. Predictions are hard to get right, especially when they're about the future.
And as I pointed out, even if he's right about growth, it's growth in speed and affordability of raw compute resources, which says ZERO about how effectively those resources are used or deployed to then ends he hopes they will be.

I've only read The Singularity and I totally agree. He gets carried away. REALLY carried away at some points.
03-06-2017, 01:33 PM
(03-06-2017 01:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  Indeedy, Momsy! I *was* thinking of you and it did make me smile, too Heart

But now I'll have to love you and leave you all: apparently, school's out Laugh out load

yeah, like I said.

you won't hold your belief claims to the same standards that I do. I need something more than personal opinions, emotional need, and personal reality.

Your defence of your opinions using personal insults exposes that you are not interested in describing the events we see around us to the best of our ability. You are interested in forcing your belief on others. just like a run of the mill fundamental theist.

way to represent atheism.

of course, burying a thread in bs so some reasonable interpretations are hidden from people isn't a bad marketing ploy I guess.

but at some point "escaping spirituality" means we really do need some plain old observations. Calling people names just isn't at valid. It might be funner, but thts another story.
03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
I haven't expressed a single opinion in this thread, you ignorant POS. I am attacking your bigoted, conservative, arrogant, incoherent, gibbering POS self. Personally. Because you're a shit stain on the forum.

And what's an adolent brain? Enquiring minds want to know, you know Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 01:35 PM
(03-06-2017 01:26 PM)AB517 Wrote:  to your point, the computer that beat that asian game can't even play chess.

the growth acceleration has slowed down already. just saying.
Two unrelated statements. The inability of a computer that wins at Go to have the vaguest idea how to deal with chess, or to generalize from Go to chess, is a reflection that deep learning technology is in play, which is not hard AI. It is not a reflection of the computer being too slow, but only being trained in one thing, and only knowing in fact how to learn one topic.

The growth of raw compute power has slowed, but the slowing has been compensated for by scaling up the number of processors and improving multitasking. A processor released this year may have the same clock speed as a processor released 2 years ago but may run twice as many instructions per clock cycle, have a bigger cache, have twice as many cores, all while multi-threaded software becomes easier to write, etc. In the meantime, we appear to be on the cusp of general-purpose quantum computing which is generally regarded as any reliable system of 50 or more qubits. A 49 qubit proof of concept is expected this year. In conventional computing there are other improvements currently being scaled up to commercial deployment. So I think that Moore's Law will continue to apply at least unevenly going forward.
03-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Quote:the computer that beat that asian game can't even play chess.

The way that computer was programmed to learn and teach itself is incredible. Can't even play chess? There are brain surgeons who can't even play the ukulele. They could put the Deep Blue software in the same computer and it could play chess. That's not much of a point.
03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
(03-06-2017 01:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  I haven't expressed a single opinion in this thread, you ignorant POS. I am attacking your bigoted, conservative, arrogant, incoherent, gibbering POS self. Personally. Because you're a shit stain on the forum.

And what's an adolent brain? Enquiring minds want to know, you know Drinking Beverage

[Image: 51520.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
03-06-2017, 01:40 PM
(03-06-2017 01:30 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 01:17 PM)mordant Wrote:  Exactly.

I've only read The Singularity and I totally agree. He gets carried away. REALLY carried away at some points.

so all this back and forth and we get back to my initial post's claims.

one, it will be longer than 100 years. second, it probably will be done through biomedical engineering first.

and of course, like all three of us have said. We could be wrong and the opposing view is valid. And that's ok.

and, because this is a spiritual thread. "man made" really means "universe made"
and there isn't much we can say to deny that fact. save, of course, ignoring it and calling it names. Smile I guess addressing it in a thinking manor means the more valid the claim becomes. Thats not good for any belief statement that's based on personal opinion.
03-06-2017, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 01:52 PM by kim.)
Exactly.
And as I pointed out, even if he's right about growth, it's growth in speed and affordability of raw compute resources, which says ZERO about how effectively those resources are used or deployed to the ends he hopes they will be.

Yep. ^^Right there^^ ... that's what can be pushed around the floor like furniture. *Someone's already decided to make up some minds before they tell everyone to be open-minded. Wink

*Kurzweil

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post