Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 01:26 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
I find that all of his claims have been lofty, baseless assertions, that he keeps saying there's "evidence" for (all of it seems to be anecdotal nonsense coming from his own brain really.) And then, when he's called out, he'll play semantic word games so that there's no reasoning with him.

Thus... memes will abound.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
04-06-2017, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 01:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2017 01:34 PM)Vera Wrote:  And what's an adolent brain? Enquiring minds want to know, you know Drinking Beverage

It's the third-person singular present active indicative Latin conjugate of adoleō - "emit a bad smell". So literally, "AB517's brain emits a bad smell."

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2017, 01:44 PM
(04-06-2017 01:26 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I find that all of his claims have been lofty, baseless assertions, that he keeps saying there's "evidence" for (all of it seems to be anecdotal nonsense coming from his own brain really.) And then, when he's called out, he'll play semantic word games so that there's no reasoning with him.

I think he's just an idiot.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-06-2017, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 02:09 PM by Vera.)
Like I said the very first time I had the distinct displeasure of running into this piece of unseemly excrescence, he's just a maroon of the highest order.

As well as a buffoon. Drinking Beverage

(22-04-2017 08:18 PM)AB517 Wrote:  Yeah I do, but I am not a liberal so I have only me to blame. I am atheists so there is only me too.

But yeah, liberals and fundy's blame anybody they can. Real or imagined.

(22-04-2017 08:22 PM)Vera Wrote:  Facepalm

[Image: Bugs_Bunny_MaroonAN.gif]

B-b-b-ut, Girly, that was said about m-m-m-y b-b-b-rain Weeping Can someone recommend a good brain mint or do I just stick a sprig of mint in each ear and hope for the best? Consider

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-06-2017, 01:52 PM
(04-06-2017 01:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  B-b-b-ut, Girly, that was said about m-m-m-y b-b-b-rain Weeping Can someone recommend a good brain mint or do I just stick a sprig of mint in each year an hope for the best Consider

We will have to agree to disagree on the proper parsing of his statement.

#sigh
04-06-2017, 01:54 PM
No, we're gonna thresh it out. *If* I can find the time, what with my incessant and compulsive selfie-taking and everything Rolleyes

Then again, when it comes to parsing his "statements:"

[Image: giphy.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
04-06-2017, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 02:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2017 01:08 PM)mordant Wrote:  The problem with Kurzweil's predictions it that he draws the wrong conclusions from them. Moore's Law is simply an expression of available CPU power. Having a quantity of CPU power doesn't equate to all of that power suddenly doing something useful or even synergistic. It's just potential sitting around. When it comes to self-aware general-purpose AI, the problem isn't even one of insufficient power or speed, it is one of using the wrong paradigm (equating a biological brain with a computer).

I think you're missing his point. His argument is that Moore's Law is an observable phenomena intrinsic to all technologies, not just raw processing power. He's not equating processing power with the emergence of AI, he's saying Moore's Law is just one example of a general Law of Accelerating Returns that applies to technology in general. He realizes the burden is on him to show that Moore's Law generalizes to the Law of Accelerating Returns so that's what he goes about trying to do. The degree to which he succeeds is a matter of opinion.

#sigh
04-06-2017, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 02:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He puts a lot of stock in the idea that if there's been exponential growth in the past it will continue into the future. It might; it might not.

Why wouldn't it? What's to stop it? I can't think of anything that even could stop it at this point short of mass extinction of our species. And I'd wager that sooner rather than later technology advancements will no longer even require our presence.

(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Predictions are hard to get right, especially when they're about the future.

His credibility is the result of a pretty good track record of technology predictions.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-06-2017, 02:35 PM
I'll give you that. He's worth reading. He gives you things to think about. He's proven himself insightful. Like you say, he's earned some credibility. But in the Singularity he keeps pushing and pushing and pushing. Like someone else said, an incredible amount of factors will have to fall into place, a lot of them sociological and environmental, for his predictions to pan out. If that book was written with more humility and qualifiers instead of coming off like a wannabe Nostradamus I would take him a little more seriously.
04-06-2017, 02:45 PM
(03-06-2017 01:17 PM)mordant Wrote:  And as I pointed out, even if he's right about growth, it's growth in speed and affordability of raw compute resources, which says ZERO about how effectively those resources are used or deployed to the ends he hopes they will be.

The Law of Accelerating Returns is a claim about intrinsic exponential growth being fundamental to technology in general, not just compute power. Elon "I'm Batman." Musk's apocalyptic view on this is that we better integrate our technologies with our biology quick or the technology will quickly realize that we are not only unessential and superfluous to its advancement, but counterproductive to it.

The risk Musk perceives is that the massive interconnectivity of massively parallel distributed compute nodes, coupled with our obsession with making the nodes and their aggregations autonomic (self-configuring, self-healing, self-regulating, self-learning, self-organizing, self-optimizing, self-protecting, self-* properties, ...) will inevitably lead to self-awareness and SkyNet.

#sigh