• 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
Quote:if he is older than 19 I would consider him dangerous

lol - I'm like the atheist Biggie Smalls
Quote:Huh, word to mother, I'm dangerous
Crazier than a bag of fucking Angel Dust
When I bust my gat motherfuckers take dirt naps
I'm all that and a dime sack, where the paper at?

Atheist Taliban Mother Fucker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2017, 01:41 PM
(29-05-2017 09:48 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:if he is older than 19 I would consider him dangerous

lol - I'm like the atheist Biggie Smalls
Quote:Huh, word to mother, I'm dangerous
Crazier than a bag of fucking Angel Dust
When I bust my gat motherfuckers take dirt naps
I'm all that and a dime sack, where the paper at?

Atheist Taliban Mother Fucker

biggie biggie biggie,
can't you see,
if you wuda of ducked,
you'd still be with us.

religious extremus brag all day long about the truth they have and the evil the rest of us do. you are no different.

Way to make us proud to be atheist.
Bowing
29-05-2017, 01:46 PM
There ain't no "us"
29-05-2017, 02:40 PM
(29-05-2017 01:46 PM)ImFred Wrote:  There ain't no "us"

a thinking atheist.
Yes
29-05-2017, 04:55 PM
I find spirituality, in the non-theist sense, useful -- it helps keep me grounded and centered. At the risk of stretching definitions, it is to me the understanding of how small I am in the face of so many things, including life, and the Universe itself. I also reckon that as a small part of the Universe, I'm entitled to be awed at the whole.

The fact that this enforces humility on me works to my benefit.

I'm sorry if the thinking you've been "programmed" with is so rough for you. Certainly you're right to eliminate programmatic thinking from your life wherever possible, so that you can live closer to the moment.

I wish I had advice for how to do that, but I think we each chart our own course. I strive to view my emotions objectively, remember that everyone else also has feelings and that it behoove me to respect them most of the time, and to get off'n my goddamned soapbox -- because I don't have the answers, I only have my answers.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-05-2017, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 07:44 PM by Cosmo.)
That moment when someone misconstrues religion with an understanding of engaging with your own consciousness, that is alive as you, and within you, now, and you watch him wander around in the dark, after an unknown, unknowable, and irreconcilable God. Sad

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
29-05-2017, 08:26 PM
You understand that your consciousness is a series of chemical reactions, don't you? A less mystical term for "engaging with your own consciousness" is "thinking". No shit it's inside me "now". It's commonly called the "nervous system".
29-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed. Right? You are the universe manifesting itself as a human being for a moment.

No
[+] 1 user Likes neurotibotical's post
29-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I like Carl Sagan. We're thinking collections of atoms made from ancient stars. However, that's a purely physical phenomenon. There's nothing spiritual about it. It's natural not supernatural. Our language should reflect that. People may be the universe trying to understand itself but so are earth worms. It's silly to pretend that "spirituality" puts you in touch with things we can't wrap our heads around.
30-05-2017, 03:37 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 03:40 AM by AB517.)
Spiritual doesn't mean not natural, super natural (as we use the word today), or anything woo woo. But when we talk about emotion and the ying/yang of it all it can sound woo woo-ish. Woo woo doesn't mean "false" either. "in touch with your surroundings" is a natural process that can be understood through chemistry and physics. We are connected to everything around us at the most fundamental levels and what emerges from those connections are also a natural processes. We are those processes too and no matter how woo woo its sounds to people, its true.

To be human means we an emotional component that can't be ignored. Some people just have to much emotion for me and others don't have much. humans are a varying mixture of emotional solutions and logical solutions. Humans never reach the right mixture, but rather we are always adjusting to be a little nicer.

Mind, body, spirit is a useful way for humans to communicate how we try and align ourselves to accept the everyday interactions around us. Visceral reactions, how we think, and how we feel is a logical approach. Its silly to say "spirituality" doesn't help us wrap our head (emotionally/logically) around things we can't understand.

I can't go universal because we don't know enough but we can keep the discussion to the earth and make the topic empirical in nature. This planet can be treated as an organism. That understanding offers explanations, mechanisms, and most importantly, makes predictions. People have emotional connections to dogs so why wouldn't they have a connection to the biosphere? "spiritual" is just a word, dump it if you don't like it. But why do you have a visceral reaction to the word?