Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 04:17 AM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
WELL...

Quote:Spiritual
adjective

relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

relating to religion or religious belief.

I do think the term is broader than this, although for me personally to be "spiritual" it would imply there is a spirit, which I don't believe there is. In saying that I think that to 'be spiritual', a person is maybe a bit more in touch with themselves, but it's a fine line to walk before it descends into crazy town. Some do it more than others, by just practicing yoga/meditation for example, whilst others start walking down a path of random garbage that I won't go into.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
30-05-2017, 04:49 AM
Quote:Mind, body, spirit

The mind is the brain which is part of the body and there's no "spirit". I'm hostile to it because there's no room for agnosticism about it. People talk about it like it should be taken for granted the spirit exists when it's blatantly obvious it doesn't. It's like Jesus walked on water. Uh, no he didn't. How do I know? My IQ is above 60. I've never heard the term "woo" used like that but don't pretend you're not talking about a bunch of bullshit. Spirituality infers the supernatural. That's what it means. Don't backtrack and claim you were talking about physics and the ecosystem. If you want to discuss that stuff don't use words that describe things that don't exist.
30-05-2017, 06:54 AM
I meant that for me, when I used to see a beautiful landscape or a remarkable vista, I gave God the glory. Now, when I see that same landscape or vista and that sense of awe wells up inside me, it still feels, almost spiritual, but I no longer attribute it to God. I attribute it to my own small, fleetingness in the face of something as huge as our world, or even bigger, like the Universe. I am happy that I am alive, and experiencing consciousness, even if it is a fleeting thing.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
30-05-2017, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 07:22 AM by Cosmo.)
(29-05-2017 08:26 PM)ImFred Wrote:  You understand that your consciousness is a series of chemical reactions, don't you? A less mystical term for "engaging with your own consciousness" is "thinking". No shit it's inside me "now". It's commonly called the "nervous system".

Oh, salty. Smile

No, consciousness is not a series of chemical reactions, consciousness is the experience of these chemical reactions. I think that's an important distinction to make.

And no, when I said engaging with your own consciousness, I was not explicitly referring to the basic act of thinking. I was talking about having a frank dialogue with yourself so as to hopefully clarify what you want, need, or find to be true in the moment. I could have put it more succinctly, but I guess I just needed to go to bed.

I'm glad you have a nervous system.

How do you view spirituality as a non-believer then? No such thing I suppose?

Edit: looking back at that post it does sound more metaphysical than I would like... meh.

I'll try this again.

Dude, just chill, think real hard about what you believe, and need now, and don't waste anymore time being sad about lies when life is both gnarly and short.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Also I wanted to clarify my own position: I do think atheists can certainly live spiritual lives.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
30-05-2017, 07:31 AM
(29-05-2017 10:12 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I like Carl Sagan. We're thinking collections of atoms made from ancient stars. However, that's a purely physical phenomenon. There's nothing spiritual about it. It's natural not supernatural. Our language should reflect that. People may be the universe trying to understand itself but so are earth worms. It's silly to pretend that "spirituality" puts you in touch with things we can't wrap our heads around.

Some people maintain that pretense. Others of us, as I noted above, use that knowledge to keep ourselves humble.

I'd argue that the conflation of "spiritual" and "supernatural" hampers one's ability to understand what some us see as spirituality ... but it really doesn't matter to me. Yuu're going to think what you're going to think and nothing I write will change that.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
30-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Cosmo, are you confusing Spirituality with just being reeeeaaally chilled out?

Like, I get it, I'm super chilled myself, and I got lost in the awe/wonder of the earth and the everything, but I don't think that makes me spiritual, just "human" lol.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
30-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Lol. Sometimes I find some good indica getting me confused on those two points. Last night being a superb example.

No im curious now how he views phenomena such as Qi and Karma, or meditation and the like.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
30-05-2017, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 05:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-05-2017 04:49 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:Mind, body, spirit

The mind is the brain which is part of the body and there's no "spirit". I'm hostile to it because there's no room for agnosticism about it. People talk about it like it should be taken for granted the spirit exists when it's blatantly obvious it doesn't.

I think you're wrong, You'reFred. I think there is most certainly a "soul" or "spirit" or "essence" or "eau de Bob" as you prefer. It results and is refined as the consequence of patterns of neuronal activity over the life of the brain. It is the continually self-adapting software running on the wetware. It does not exist independent of the brain and, apart from its work product, ceases to exist when the core goes dark. ps -ef | grep Girly | kill -9. Nonetheless, it certainly exists as the product of the brain interacting with its transducer sense organs over time. It does not predate the brain and cannot outlast the hardware, but it does exist, if only but for a brief moment, as You'reFred or GirlyMan. This is existentialism, existence precedes essence. It's not that the essence doesn't exist, it's that essence is contingent and transient. The "soul" does not imply anything supernatural, it's as natural as can be.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Quote:No, consciousness is not a series of chemical reactions, consciousness is the experience of these chemical reactions. I think that's an important distinction to make.

There's nothing else besides the chemicals. The chemicals experience the chemicals. It's important to understand that because any idea that there's consciousness beyond the nervous system is mysticism. It's not a semantic. It's about accepting reality as it is. You can't be more than you.

Quote:And no, when I said engaging with your own consciousness, I was not explicitly referring to the basic act of thinking. I was talking about having a frank dialogue with yourself so as to hopefully clarify what you want, need, or find to be true in the moment. I could have put it more succinctly, but I guess I just needed to go to bed.

There's nothing in that that isn't thought. So we can also call it thinking.

Quote:The "soul" does not imply anything supernatural

It's not even an implication. A "soul" is a supernatural phenomenon that does not and cannot exist. Language matters and that's a word straight out of Sunday school. It can't be reclaimed without the baggage.
30-05-2017, 05:38 PM
(30-05-2017 10:01 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It's not even an implication. A "soul" is a supernatural phenomenon that does not and cannot exist. Language matters and that's a word straight out of Sunday school. It can't be reclaimed without the baggage.

Maybe, but you're Sunday School don't have a copy of Merriam-Webster then.

Definition of soul
1: the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life
2: the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe
3: a person's total self

Don't see nothing supernatural in there but maybe if you provide me a reference to your Sunday School text I could check it out.

#sigh