Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 05:58 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
(28-05-2017 11:58 AM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  All my life I've been drawn to things of a spiritual nature, and all my life I've been depressed and lonely. This is not a coincidence. My sense of spirituality has held me back in many ways.......sexually, socially, even physically. It has produced anxiety, depression, and fear within me. I had what I thought was a spiritual awakening when I was 19 years old (several years ago) and since then my life has been a living Hell, even more so than before I was 19. I do not want to live this way anymore. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for reading material and the like, that would help deprogram me out of spirituality. Please help wake me up from this nightmare. Sad

Being religious doesn't necessarily make one spiritual, and spirituality does not require religion.

Spirituality is the state of being spiritual, which is being grounded in the here and now, and not being in the Future or the Past. In a spiritual state, you are connected and aware of the things around you. It can be a source of inspiration to motivate one.

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2017, 06:19 PM
(30-05-2017 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 10:01 AM)ImFred Wrote:  It's not even an implication. A "soul" is a supernatural phenomenon that does not and cannot exist. Language matters and that's a word straight out of Sunday school. It can't be reclaimed without the baggage.

Maybe, but you're Sunday School don't have a copy of Merriam-Webster then.

Definition of soul
1: the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life
2: the spiritual principle embodied in human beings, all rational and spiritual beings, or the universe
3: a person's total self

Don't see nothing supernatural in there but maybe if you provide me a reference to your Sunday School text I could check it out.

Nothing about a person is immaterial or spiritual. Therefore it doesn't exist. And it's your soul that goes to hell if you're bad Sunday School teacher says
30-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Quote:Spirituality is the state of being spiritual,

let's let that sit by itself

Quote:which is being grounded in the here and now, and not being in the Future or the Past.

That idea comes directly from St. Augustine. It's staple Christian philosophy.
30-05-2017, 06:26 PM
(30-05-2017 03:37 AM)AB517 Wrote:  "spiritual" is just a word, dump it if you don't like it. But why do you have a visceral reaction to the word?
I would not call it visceral. It doesn't upset me or something.

Spiritual = of the [realm of] spirit. I do not believe in spirits or spiritual realms and prefer not to use loaded / freighted words where better ones will do.

Of course when people speak of the "human spirit" they are using an alternate definition that roughly translates to "what is is like to have the subjective experience of being human" or perhaps just "the human condition". Others seem to bleed through into various subjective personal experiences of transcendence and non-duality when talking about spirituality. There is a tendency to start talking symbolically, and then you end up making up back-stories for aspects of those experiences that you can't fully verbalize, and then you're back to something rather like god of the gaps again.

Since I worked long and hard to pry religious ideology out of my brain I prefer to stay well clear of it or anything much like it. But that is just me. Others, obviously, are more than welcome to do as they please. I was simply giving a considered opinion, but no one is in any way obligated to agree with it. My experiences and preferences are not yours and yours are not mine.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
30-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Mordant

It's good to be polite but are people here so sensitive that you have tag on an apologetic qualifier to say religious bullshit is bullshit on a fucking atheist forum?
30-05-2017, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 07:27 PM by Cosmo.)
Quote:There's nothing else besides the chemicals. The chemicals experience the chemicals. It's important to understand that because any idea that there's consciousness beyond the nervous system is mysticism. It's not a semantic. It's about accepting reality as it is. You can't be more than you.

I understand just perfectly thank you. I find it astounding that you are the first scientist or philosopher on planet earth that has accurately figured out the mind-body problem. I'm excited for all of the awards you are to receive for having figured consciousness out.

SMH.

Quote:There's nothing in that that isn't thought. So we can also call it thinking.

I was hoping to specify a certain form of potentially helpful thinking. Don't see why you have such an unnecessary beef with that.

Quote:It's not even an implication. A "soul" is a supernatural phenomenon that does not and cannot exist

I think you are getting your panties in a full windsor knot over semantics and it's sort of hilarious.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
30-05-2017, 07:24 PM
I think mordant is fantastic at giving his opinion so that all sides of most spectrums can grasp it without feeling attacked. That is a valuable trait that more people need in this day and age, without question.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
30-05-2017, 07:36 PM
(30-05-2017 06:19 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Nothing about a person is immaterial or spiritual. Therefore it doesn't exist. And it's your soul that goes to hell if you're bad Sunday School teacher says

Show me a "thought".

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-05-2017, 07:38 PM
He'll say synapses firing, while disregarding the immaterial manifestation of that synapse firing.

I'm stoked to see his response.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
30-05-2017, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2017 07:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-05-2017 07:38 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  He'll say synapses firing, while disregarding the immaterial manifestation of that synapse firing.

I'm stoked to see his response.

That's like saying a bunch of bits flying around a bunch of circuits is Microsoft Word.

#sigh