Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 04:58 AM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
(30-05-2017 09:24 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  What I try to stress is that just because it is natural doesn't make it any less wonderful.

I feel like I don't do a good enough job of that often though. Sad
Yes, awesomeness is all around us and does not require the supernatural. But that can be like getting a fish to appreciate water. That which is all around is is mundane, too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
31-05-2017, 01:47 PM
(30-05-2017 09:24 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  What I try to stress is that just because it is natural doesn't make it any less wonderful.

I would beg to differ. I would say the supernatural realm is far more interesting than the mundane realm.
31-05-2017, 04:21 PM
(31-05-2017 01:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  

I would beg to differ. I would say the supernatural realm is far more interesting than the mundane realm.

Fantasy worlds can be interesting but reality tends to be more complicated. That, in the end, is more interesting as far as I'm concerned.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
31-05-2017, 04:56 PM
(31-05-2017 04:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Fantasy worlds can be interesting but reality tends to be more complicated. That, in the end, is more interesting as far as I'm concerned.
There is an interesting question here. In time, increasing levels of automation / AI will probably push society in the direction of a guaranteed minimum income and a more "work-optional" environment. Even if that doesn't happen, we already have the phenomenon of more middle aged people purposely under-employed because they enjoy spending time gaming.

As augmented reality and virtual reality become more and more compelling and people have more and more time to engage in it ... some people will prefer that to actual reality, particularly if they interact with the avatars of real people in the process. This is very much not my bag, but is this necessarily a bad thing? What about if people end up doing work someone is willing to pay for, but in an integral way as a resident of a virtual world of some sort?

What if someone like the OP just gins up a fantasy world online that transports them into their favorite world? Eventually you'll be able to construct your own worlds.

These will be very interesting trends over the next couple of decades.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
31-05-2017, 05:24 PM
(31-05-2017 04:21 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 01:47 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  I would beg to differ. I would say the supernatural realm is far more interesting than the mundane realm.

Fantasy worlds can be interesting but reality tends to be more complicated. That, in the end, is more interesting as far as I'm concerned.

"Truth is stranger than fiction."
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
31-05-2017, 05:58 PM
The problem is when some atheists deem what we do know as not beneficial to the atheist religion's cause so they begin reject, diminish, or cover up. The universe does what it does weather we like the woo or not. Dismissal based on a belief statement is as foolish as one based on that other belief statement.

its probably between stupid silly omni god and "I don't need nuttin but me, myself, and awe" personal emotional stances. those two are indicators of brain state more than anything.

the question is what stances would anybody put in "more valid" or "less valid" categories to base a line of logic on? Omni god? no nothing more complex? or somewhere inbetween? of course, personal opinion is just that. "personal need" are meaningless when talking about what the universe is doing to people that are only interested in what it is doing.

if one is not interested in what the universe is doing and only interested in what things mean to them, maybe they should stay out of claiming that they know what more true and whats better for people conversations. Now that doesn't mean some people don't need one fairytale over another fairytale to function. But if thats the case, give them the one that works until they can handle the truth.
31-05-2017, 06:11 PM
- 1 Laughat
31-05-2017, 06:13 PM
(31-05-2017 05:58 PM)AB517 Wrote:  the atheist religion

What the fuck are you gibbering about!

[Image: Here-Have-some-ar9tr6.jpg]

Oh, and whine about being negrepped, while you're at it. Facepalm

Or are you showing your booboo to the forum so that we can kiss it and make it better?

Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-06-2017, 04:30 AM
(31-05-2017 06:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 05:58 PM)AB517 Wrote:  the atheist religion

What the fuck are you gibbering about!

[Image: Here-Have-some-ar9tr6.jpg]

Oh, and whine about being negrepped, while you're at it. Facepalm

Or are you showing your booboo to the forum so that we can kiss it and make it better?

Facepalm

diminishing the fact that some people behave like atheism is a religion to them doesn't change the facts. We can compare the actions of some atheists and some theist to see how similar and different the expressions of a belief of godders and no-godders are.

But we all know what happens when facts start intruding into a personal opinion. facts are ignored, diminished, or hidden. Theists are more prone to this while they push magic but many atheists do it too.

ps, I didn't whine, I laughed at the person that did it. But you saying that I whinned proves my points that I just stated. Thank you.
01-06-2017, 05:57 AM
(30-05-2017 06:25 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:which is being grounded in the here and now, and not being in the Future or the Past.

That idea comes directly from St. Augustine. It's staple Christian philosophy.
A staple of Christian mysticism. As an evangelical I never got taught a thing about it. I daresay most Christians don't.

I don't know offhand whether Christian mysticism arose independently or was borrowed or influenced in some way from more ancient Eastern traditions which hawk basically the same thing.

Divorced from the "explanatory" woo underlying it, the notion of presence / stillness strikes me as something people will stumble over because it works, rather than because of whatever ideology, if any, they use to explain it. It doesn't need religious ideation to explain it: the past is over with and can't be changed, the future hasn't happened and provided you do what limited things you can to lay the groundwork for a good future, it's not actionable either. The present moment is all anyone has, and there is greatly reduced anxiety, greatly increased peace of mind, and better self-awareness to be had focusing there. This is simply because it counteracts what natural selection has endowed us with, and which hasn't been selected out quickly enough as society has moved away from hunter-gatherer existence: a keen awareness of existential threats and a relative lack of attention to anything else.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post