Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 04:51 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
(01-06-2017 04:35 PM)AB517 Wrote:  yeah, stop when facts get in the way of a personal belief. Just like them there pesky theists do.

Seeing as your so keen on "facts", maybe you'd like to address my earlier proposition to you?

...There is NO "supernatural realm". Or if you think you have any viable evidence that it does in fact exist, then please post your evidence, or at least cite some sort of accredited academic documentation.

Or don't you have the courage of your convictions when you're backed into a corner LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
01-06-2017, 08:02 PM
(01-06-2017 04:51 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 04:35 PM)AB517 Wrote:  yeah, stop when facts get in the way of a personal belief. Just like them there pesky theists do.

Seeing as your so keen on "facts", maybe you'd like to address my earlier proposition to you?

...There is NO "supernatural realm". Or if you think you have any viable evidence that it does in fact exist, then please post your evidence, or at least cite some sort of accredited academic documentation.

Or don't you have the courage of your convictions when you're backed into a corner LOL.

Way to be a downer. There is such a thing as the supernatural realm. Don't you have an imagination?
01-06-2017, 08:06 PM
AB, I have had the grace of not engaging with you personally, while watching you engage in linguistic quackery and bigotry. You evidently read little, and comprehend less.

Please consider the semantics of your words before you use them.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
01-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Escaping Spirituality
Try Cymbalta or something similar. See your doc. It's OK to say.."Better living through chemistry" if you need it. Sometimes your brain chemistry is a little out of whack. No shame in getting help that way. Other things, exercise. Join Meet ups with other atheists. Maybe go to counseling. Road trip, camping, whatever makes you get your mind off what you think you are missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
02-06-2017, 03:47 AM
(01-06-2017 08:06 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  AB, I have had the grace of not engaging with you personally, while watching you engage in linguistic quackery and bigotry. You evidently read little, and comprehend less.

Please consider the semantics of your words before you use them.

No, why don't you consider what the statement means before you insert what you want it to mean.

I don't do grace, I do claim adjustment. My claim is that some parts of what people call "spirituality" can be explained using the sciences and no magic. my claim is that some people take "spirituality" way to far past what we understand. And That others just deny it out of hand because they are afraid or just anti-whatever for whatever personal meaning and ignore that data.

Basically, my claim is, the truth lies between "woo woo loving universe" and "lack belief in anything." That the "spiritual" component of "mind, body, spirit" is a useful way to address the oneself and improve oneself.

point out where you feel my stance is less valid than yours. Otherwise your opinion is just another backroom talkabout. It it will stay there if you don't challenge your beliefs too.
02-06-2017, 04:03 AM
(01-06-2017 04:51 PM)SYZ Wrote:  

lmao, yeah, you got me in a corner all right. Yes

There is no supernatural natural to me, as many people use the word these days. If we stick with the definition of "not known" then there is plenty that we don't know.

When I address people, I look at each claim they are basing a belief on. For a person to claim "no spirituality at all" just shows me they don't really understand how to support a unifying belief statement.

beliefs are built on base axioms. I, and you show me where I am wrong, feel beliefs should be anchored in the best truths we have. I will look at "oneness" that many people use as a trait of spirituality.

We are part of a system here on earth. We are part of one system and we can show that all of the individual parts in that system are connected to the system around it. there is no "isolated you", in terms of physics and chemistry, in the system we call the biosphere.

lets check this little corner you have me in.
Point out where I am wrong.
02-06-2017, 04:13 AM
(02-06-2017 04:03 AM)AB517 Wrote:  I, and you show me where I am wrong, feel beliefs should be anchored in the best truths we have. I will look at "oneness" that many people use as a trait of spirituality.
WELL...

Quote:belief
bɪˈliːf/Submit
noun
an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof

That is the LITERAL definition of "belief". This may be another case of not understanding what belief and FACT/truth means.

Atheists by nature have a hard time "believing" anything, because that's not how it works. We looks at the evidence, and form an opinion on the overall bigger picture. So no, we can't understand your "belief" because you are giving us nothing to work with, other than "I believe..." which is all well and good, but that's not an answer.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
02-06-2017, 04:51 AM
(01-06-2017 08:02 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Way to be a downer. There is such a thing as the supernatural realm. Don't you have an imagination?

I have a vivid imagination, I just don't confuse it with reality.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2017, 04:56 AM
(02-06-2017 04:13 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  WELL...

Quote:belief
bɪˈliːf/Submit
noun
an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof

That is the LITERAL definition of "belief". This may be another case of not understanding what belief and FACT/truth means.

Atheists by nature have a hard time "believing" anything, because that's not how it works. We looks at the evidence, and form an opinion on the overall bigger picture. So no, we can't understand your "belief" because you are giving us nothing to work with, other than "I believe..." which is all well and good, but that's not an answer.
There are justified and unjustified beliefs. Beliefs are based on the preponderance of evidence. We can only approach absolute truth, as there is no such thing as totally objective, 100% vetted truth in every possible context.

The overwhelming preponderance of evidence tells me that consciousness is brain-based, an emergent property of electrochemical reactions in our biological brain, and that in those areas where our knowledge is sketchy and/or counterintuitive we have a VERY strong tendency to make stuff up.

Knowing this, I see no good reason to believe in immaterial souls / spirits or discarnate consciousness, and I am comfortable admitting that the "Hard problem" of consciousness remains unsolved so far. It is technically possible, though vanishingly unlikely, that new evidence in the future will demonstrate that there are unseen realms weakly interacting with ours, or even an afterlife. But unless and until there is credible evidence for such things, I do not afford them belief. Not because I'm an atheist ... but because I do not afford belief to the unsubstantiated. My atheism is simply another side effect of not being credulous.

The next development in consciousness that I have my money on, is "hard" or "true general purpose" AI. Sometime in the next century (it may not even take that long) we will find approaches that either achieve that or approach it so closely that there's no practical quibble. And in so doing we will discover at least one possible path to self-aware sentience, and will have huge clues to our own sentience.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
02-06-2017, 05:05 AM
(02-06-2017 04:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 08:02 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Way to be a downer. There is such a thing as the supernatural realm. Don't you have an imagination?

I have a vivid imagination, I just don't confuse it with reality.

You must go deeper Evil_monster