Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 07:58 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
(02-06-2017 07:04 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Guys, join Catholicism.

Nah, I'm a former Catholic. Been there. Got baptized, said my Kyrie, recited Apostles Creed, First Communion... Got nuns in my family, got a family member who was a priest at St Patrick's Cathedral, too.

Left, and never even got the t-shirt.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
02-06-2017, 08:03 PM
(02-06-2017 06:39 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 03:36 PM)AB517 Wrote:  I wouldn't say I am "anti AI" so I must put down your belief. That's what I see in religious debates. putting down anything you deem religious (based on a personal opinion) to push an anti religious agenda in spite of data.
In spite of what data?

I am not opposed to religion directly, but to religious faith -- the acceptance of asserted truth without a requirement of evidence. I am opposed to a pro-religious agenda in spite of an utter lack of evidence.

we are all against blind faith. that's a given. the question is what do we do when we have evidence to make a claim. what will we do with old conclusions if the new data doesn't support it? not make a change in our conclusions? avoid making a claim at all ... aka cop out?

theist do it, I don't have to just because they do it.

The simple evidence that we are part of 'something" is a far more valid claim than "nothing.". and categorizing the system around us as not life is far less valid than classifying it as life. its empirical at this point.

there isn't a sky daddy, but there is far more going on than nothing. that claim is rooted in chemistry and physics.
02-06-2017, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 08:23 PM by AB517.)
(02-06-2017 06:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 03:36 PM)AB517 Wrote:  Your claim of AI in 100 years or less, i don't think so, but its as valid as mine.

The guys who are making it think otherwise.

yeah, I seen their work. We would have to break down exactly what they are saying. One can drive a truck, but it can't pick up a glass of water, so is that "life"? If they are lucky, they will wake the web up, but I don't see them doing it 2oo years without it. I think they need far more interactions per second then they have know. even the web, over the surface area of the planet might not do it. In under a hundred years that is.

we need to be careful in understanding what they are saying. Look at writing a book. can it write a book, play chess, draw a stickman, and help a kid with math? All in one evening? they are not 100 years near that using conventional computers.

But hey, i could wrong too, so again their claim is just as valid as mine at this point.

either way, AI is a null term. There is nothing artificial about the universe making the next life form. Evolution uses proteins to make the next life forms, we are the best protein it ever made.
02-06-2017, 08:26 PM
(02-06-2017 07:38 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  [Image: 493.jpg]

my wife looks good in her hat.
02-06-2017, 09:23 PM
(02-06-2017 08:17 PM)AB517 Wrote:  we need to be careful in understanding what they are saying. Look at writing a book. can it write a book, play chess, draw a stickman, and help a kid with math? All in one evening? they are not 100 years near that using conventional computers.

But hey, i could wrong too, so again their claim is just as valid as mine at this point.

Kurzweil and others argue that technology advances at an exponential, rather than linear or even polynomial, rate and humans find exponential growth hard to intuit. To me it means the train is coming at us faster and faster, so fast that we can't judge the time of impact from the size of the train's headlight as our intuition would tell us. Based on what I've personally experienced from playing pong on the Atari when I was 10 to a planet where virtually everyone in first world countries is electronically wired to everyone else in one massive virtual social network with aggregate computational power unimaginable to that kid playing pong, my gut says go with Kurzweil. These are some of the graphs he uses to make his case. Make of them what you will.
[Image: Moores_Law_over_120_Years_zpsjk14rql3.png][Image: PPTExponentialGrowthof_Computing_zpspbbjgenf.jpg][Image: PPTMooresLawai_zps30sz1pqb.jpg]

(02-06-2017 08:17 PM)AB517 Wrote:  either way, AI is a null term.

There is nothing artificial about the universe making the next life form. Evolution uses proteins to make the next life forms, we are the best protein it ever made.

The definition of "artificial" is "made by humans". It don't really have anything to do with the unrelated fact that humans are themselves natural. That's just co-opting and confusing the definition.

#sigh
02-06-2017, 09:31 PM
What is this horseshit, anyway? You wanna believe in something, have a heyday, but if you want to convince others, support it with something more than "I think".

Weak, just weak.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-06-2017, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 08:54 AM by AB517.)
(02-06-2017 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 08:17 PM)AB517 Wrote:  we need to be careful in understanding what they are saying. Look at writing a book. can it write a book, play chess, draw a stickman, and help a kid with math? All in one evening? they are not 100 years near that using conventional computers.

Kurzweil and others argue that technology advances at an exponential, rather than linear or even polynomial, rate and humans find exponential growth hard to intuit. To me it means the train is coming at us faster and faster, so fast that we can't judge the time of impact from the size of the train's headlight as our intuition would tell us. Based on what I've personally experienced from playing pong on the Atari when I was 10 to a planet where virtually everyone in first world countries is electronically wired to everyone else in one massive virtual social network with aggregate computational power unimaginable to that kid playing pong, my gut says go with Kurzweil. These are some of the graphs he uses to make his case. Make of them what you will.
[Image: Moores_Law_over_120_Years_zpsjk14rql3.png][Image: PPTExponentialGrowthof_Computing_zpspbbjgenf.jpg][Image: PPTMooresLawai_zps30sz1pqb.jpg]

(02-06-2017 08:17 PM)AB517 Wrote:  either way, AI is a null term.

There is nothing artificial about the universe making the next life form. Evolution uses proteins to make the next life forms, we are the best protein it ever made.

The definition of "artificial" is "made by humans". It don't really have anything to do with the unrelated fact that humans are themselves natural. That's just co-opting and confusing the definition.

Yeah, My claim stands and is reinforced by your graphs. We need to talk about what some of tose graphs really mean. Look at moore's law, its a older one, the acceleration rate has slowed down. And Remember, I still understand your claim is as valid as mine and very reasonable. I just think we do it through biomedical engineering first in longer than 100 years. I feel that two, maybe three, more major advancements like Crisp case 9. and we advance very quickly.

Yes again, "artificial" is a "word" used for communication reasons. But the fact is the universe makes everything. It is going to evolve. humans are just the best protein it ever made ... to date, that we know of.
that is empirical, so arguing it become a silly endeavor, with a silly person, to me.
03-06-2017, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 08:56 AM by AB517.)
(02-06-2017 09:31 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What is this horseshit, anyway? You wanna believe in something, have a heyday, but if you want to convince others, support it with something more than "I think".

Weak, just weak.

no, your claim is horse shit because your claim is based on nothing. so omni dude horse shit or your horse shit. Either way we need to shovel it out of the way so regular people can choose for themelves.

of course, if'en you want, we can list our observations supporting our claims. I am assuming you have some training in science otherwise your opinion is a giant load of horeshit. based on what you want to be real. Just like a run of the mill literal theist.

this site is thinking atheists. its supposed to be think first, horse shit second.
03-06-2017, 08:54 AM
(03-06-2017 08:46 AM)AB517 Wrote:  no, your claim is horse shit because your claim is based on nothing. Either way we need to shovel it of the way.

[Image: heal-thyself.jpg]

You first. We can lend you a shovel and a truck because the amount of manure you've dumped on this place in such a short time is staggering.

Quote:this site is thinking atheists. its supposed to be think first, horse shit second.

Such a big big pile for such a tiny, tiny brain.

[Image: pile_of_shit.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-06-2017, 09:11 AM
(02-06-2017 07:04 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Guys, join Catholicism. It's the one true Christianity and will lead your soul in a good direction. Pray the Rosary every day, read the Mysteries, contemplate why you believe what you believe, including science, religion, philosophy, sex, politics and everything else. Be honest and open with yourself. If you can, take communion and attend Mass. I know it can be boring, you don't have to stay for the whole thing. Make some friends. Get in touch with the God who created you, who loves you and cares for you more than you can imagine. You know there's a God out there, deep down inside....... Angel

Uh huh.
To think I was going to give some sound advice and suggest a really good book, too. Dodgy Carl Sagan's - Demon Haunted World

This sad cunt is a waste of skin, really. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post