Escaping Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 12:58 PM
RE: Escaping Spirituality
(03-06-2017 08:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 08:46 AM)AB517 Wrote:  no, your claim is horse shit because your claim is based on nothing. Either way we need to shovel it of the way.

You first. We can lend you a shovel and a truck because the amount of manure you've dumped on this place in such a short time is staggering.

Quote:this site is thinking atheists. its supposed to be think first, horse shit second.

Such a big big pile for such a tiny, tiny brain.

Not true. This claim shows what you don't know and you're just jumping in to "support your team". again, same thing theist do. You guys all ganging up. anti-this or that, based on nothing, looks and sounds awful team religious to me.

But ifen you want to list the observations supporting your claim vs my claim I would be happy to shovel your load of horse shit, spewing out of a turd face, out of the running in describing anything but your emotional state. I am all in.

please, don't focus on the fact that you need insults because you have nothing else but "I don't believe you". Again, just like a creationist defending his tiny dog brain processor overloading when the reality starts going past them. focus on what the the facts are.

try standing on your own two legs. My guess is that you won't be able to handle the insults given back to you. Your emotion will not allow you to reasonably analise the observations and conclusion they support in favor of your little world view. Your personality type does that regardless if it believes or not.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2017, 01:02 PM
No, you dumbfuck, I am not supporting ANYONE. I am attacking YOU, personally and viciously, because no one this stupid should be this arrogant.

Or polluting this place, for that matter.

Shoo, fly. Go buzz around the pile of shit you came from and don't come back.

[Image: Bullshit_flies_zps4694c12d.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
03-06-2017, 01:07 PM
(03-06-2017 01:02 PM)Vera Wrote:  No, you dumbfuck, I am not supporting ANYONE. I am attacking YOU, personally and viciously, because no one this stupid should be this arrogant.

Or polluting this place, for that matter.

Shoo, fly. Go buzz around the pile of shit you came from and don't come back.

[Image: Bullshit_flies_zps4694c12d.gif]

wow, talk about going down easy. You are just about what you want to believe. so use insults to support your belief. you have real truth. Tongue
a real thinking atheists.

btw way, school almost out for you? enjoy your summer. Thumbsup
03-06-2017, 01:08 PM
(02-06-2017 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Kurzweil and others argue that technology advances at an exponential, rather than linear or even polynomial, rate and humans find exponential growth hard to intuit. To me it means the train is coming at us faster and faster, so fast that we can't judge the time of impact from the size of the train's headlight as our intuition would tell us.
The problem with Kurzweil's predictions it that he draws the wrong conclusions from them. Moore's Law is simply an expression of available CPU power. Having a quantity of CPU power doesn't equate to all of that power suddenly doing something useful or even synergistic. It's just potential sitting around. When it comes to self-aware general-purpose AI, the problem isn't even one of insufficient power or speed, it is one of using the wrong paradigm (equating a biological brain with a computer).

As an example, I just purchased a network-attached storage device. It is supposed to be able to self-configure and be automatically discovered by devices on the network, but it won't work for devices not physically wired to the same subnet, the documentation has broken links and is incomplete, and I am reduced to calling tech support (assuming I can even get them to answer or get a sufficiently skilled tech to diagnose and solve my problem; it's even possible that the device has unadvertised limitations that will force me to return it). So I have 3.5 terabytes of storage I can't use.

And this is just one example of all this supposed compute power going to waste. We still have the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death on Windows), my client just created a bulk emailing to their clients which tested out perfectly fine but in production provided a broken link to a critical demo video, one of their clients is supposed to transmit 3 files every morning to us and one of them is AWOL this morning and no one can figure out why. I could go on and on.

And this doesn't even take into account the limitations of how fast the marketplace and society can even absorb change, which tends to be a braking factor on everything.

Computing speed and capacity are meaningless in and of themselves. In his ardent desire to live forever, Kurzweil succumbs to confirmation bias about such things. And/or, he is just over-selling his case so that he gets more people on the bandwagon.

All of which is not to say that I don't think there won't eventually be a singularity of sorts. It won't be some kind of thunderclap event directly associated with the mere existence of computing resources, it will rather be a combination of cheap compute resources with improving iterations of software and associated hardware. I don't expect to live to see it, and when it comes, it is likely to be recognized in hindsight and somewhat debatable at first. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I intuit.

As far as uploading our consciousness to robots or to the Internet or replicating it into younger bodies or some such, we are a LONG way from anything LIKE that ... that's a whole other ball of wax.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Such wit!

Seriously. You are orders of magnitude too stupid for this place.

Shoo, fly.

Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
03-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Kurzweil is fun to read but it's best not to take him too seriously.

He puts a lot of stock in the idea that if there's been exponential growth in the past it will continue into the future. It might; it might not. Predictions are hard to get right, especially when they're about the future.
[+] 5 users Like I'mFred's post
03-06-2017, 01:15 PM
(03-06-2017 01:08 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Kurzweil and others argue that technology advances at an exponential, rather than linear or even polynomial, rate and humans find exponential growth hard to intuit. To me it means the train is coming at us faster and faster, so fast that we can't judge the time of impact from the size of the train's headlight as our intuition would tell us.
The problem with Kurzweil's predictions it that he draws the wrong conclusions from them. Moore's Law is simply an expression of available CPU power. Having a quantity of CPU power doesn't equate to all of that power suddenly doing something useful or even synergistic. It's just potential sitting around. When it comes to self-aware general-purpose AI, the problem isn't even one of insufficient power or speed, it is one of using the wrong paradigm (equating a biological brain with a computer).

As an example, I just purchased a network-attached storage device. It is supposed to be able to self-configure and be automatically discovered by devices on the network, but it won't work for devices not physically wired to the same subnet, the documentation has broken links and is incomplete, and I am reduced to calling tech support (assuming I can even get them to answer or get a sufficiently skilled tech to diagnose and solve my problem; it's even possible that the device has unadvertised limitations that will force me to return it). So I have 3.5 terabytes of storage I can't use.

And this is just one example of all this supposed compute power going to waste. We still have the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death on Windows), my client just created a bulk emailing to their clients which tested out perfectly fine but in production provided a broken link to a critical demo video, one of their clients is supposed to transmit 3 files every morning to us and one of them is AWOL this morning and no one can figure out why. I could go on and on.

And this doesn't even take into account the limitations of how fast the marketplace and society can even absorb change, which tends to be a braking factor on everything.

Computing speed and capacity are meaningless in and of themselves. In his ardent desire to live forever, Kurzweil succumbs to confirmation bias about such things. And/or, he is just over-selling his case so that he gets more people on the bandwagon.

All of which is not to say that I don't think there won't eventually be a singularity of sorts. It won't be some kind of thunderclap event directly associated with the mere existence of computing resources, it will rather be a combination of cheap compute resources with improving iterations of software and associated hardware. I don't expect to live to see it, and when it comes, it is likely to be recognized in hindsight and somewhat debatable at first. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I intuit.

Like I said, I predict they will do it with add ons to a human before we do it with computers.

secondly, because its a spirituality tread, there is nothing we make that the universe didn't ultimately do the making. But i understand why a literal atheist can't see it. And an dishonest atheist will avoid it.
03-06-2017, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 01:27 PM by mordant.)
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Kurzweil is fun to read but it's best not to take him too seriously.
Exactly.
(03-06-2017 01:14 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He puts a lot of stock in the idea that if there's been exponential growth in the past it will continue into the future. It might; it might not. Predictions are hard to get right, especially when they're about the future.
And as I pointed out, even if he's right about growth, it's growth in speed and affordability of raw compute resources, which says ZERO about how effectively those resources are used or deployed to the ends he hopes they will be.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
(03-06-2017 01:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Shoo, fly.

Ha! That's my line, or it used to be.

It's handy though because that's what they are, flies, and not worth much more effort than a brush with the hand.

You did make me smile Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
(03-06-2017 01:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Such wit!

Seriously. You are orders of magnitude too stupid for this place.

Shoo, fly.

Drinking Beverage

Laughat

yeah, you, like most adolent brains, don't know what they don't know. Even worse, you think what you know and understand is all there is needed to draw a conclusion. we have these personality types in atheism and they have them in theism. To ends of the same boob stick blocking the way to understanding.

we could do a comparision of your observations that support your world view to mine. But I am guessing you won't.

keep those selfies coming ... kid.