Escaping religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 12:46 AM
Escaping religion
Hi all. I'm a 22 year old student at Oklahoma State University. I live in the middle of the Bible Belt. I grew up in a strict, controlling and at time abusive Christian home. I was raised between pentacostal and southern baptist. I went to church from the time I could Remember. I also went to a Christian school and went to a Christian university. The Christian university helped me lose my fundamental beliefs. I stopped going to church 1.5 years ago. I used to calm myself a progressive Christian, but I've officially been an atheist for about a year. Some of my friends know I'm not a Christian, but freak out when I say I'm an atheist. . My parents have threatened to disown me over tattoos, piercings, dating some outside my race so I assume being an atheist would be included.... I have two tattoos that I hide just like I hide my atheism. I'm also black. While some may think this is irrelevant, but being a POC and atheist seems to make me feel so alone. I've even hAd a friend say I can't be atheist since I'm black. So that and living in the Bible Belt has caused me to feel lonely. I feel like I'm living a lie but I love my family and would hate to lose their support and love if I can prevent it. I've been listening to TTA podcasts recently and thought this forum would be a safe place to connect with people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lovenbutterflies's post
18-05-2016, 01:05 AM
RE: Escaping religion
Welcome to TTA.

I didn't know they allowed Persons Of Colour to go to university in Oklahoma!

You live and learn.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Welcome. Hope you find this place somewhere to vent frustrations, find reassurance and talk about whatever.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
18-05-2016, 04:22 AM
(18-05-2016 12:46 AM)Lovenbutterflies Wrote:  Hi all. I'm a 22 year old student at Oklahoma State University. I live in the middle of the Bible Belt. I grew up in a strict, controlling and at time abusive Christian home. I was raised between pentacostal and southern baptist. I went to church from the time I could Remember. I also went to a Christian school and went to a Christian university. The Christian university helped me lose my fundamental beliefs. I stopped going to church 1.5 years ago. I used to calm myself a progressive Christian, but I've officially been an atheist for about a year. Some of my friends know I'm not a Christian, but freak out when I say I'm an atheist. . My parents have threatened to disown me over tattoos, piercings, dating some outside my race so I assume being an atheist would be included.... I have two tattoos that I hide just like I hide my atheism. I'm also black. While some may think this is irrelevant, but being a POC and atheist seems to make me feel so alone. I've even hAd a friend say I can't be atheist since I'm black. So that and living in the Bible Belt has caused me to feel lonely. I feel like I'm living a lie but I love my family and would hate to lose their support and love if I can prevent it. I've been listening to TTA podcasts recently and thought this forum would be a safe place to connect with people.

Welcome.

You're definitely not alone. Hug I don't live in the Bible belt, but I'm also an atheist who is black.

If you ever need to vent or ask questions, we're willing to listen.

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
18-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Welcome!

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
18-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Welcome LovenB, sorry to hear you're going threw difficult times. The best advice for dealing with this situation is, just be you. You've already done the hardest part and breaking out from the brainwashing. Now you just go about your day. You can still be the good person you want to be, with out having to shout "I'M an Atheist!" from the top of your lungs. Whenever you feel like venting come here and we'll do our best to get you threw it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
18-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
18-05-2016, 04:08 PM
(18-05-2016 01:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I didn't know they allowed Persons Of Colour to go to university in Oklahoma!

They make exceptions for athletes.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Hello and welcome!

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
18-05-2016, 06:29 PM
My dad, who is interestingly enough one of the only people in my "real" life to ever give me grief over not believing in a god, recently within the last half year seems to have gone full antitheist or at least anti Christianity. He is black, and posts a WHOLE BUNCH on facebook about spiritualism, and how following the "white man's" religion is stupid. And meme's saying things like, "oh of course this book is all true, The people who ENSLAVED OUR ANCESTOR's said so!"

While this doesn't necessarily help you, it does offer a unique perspective on being a black non-Christian. I honestly never even though about it like that. It's interesting if you compare black Christianity to...Native American Christianity or something.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post