Escaping religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 08:27 PM
RE: Escaping religion
Welcome to TTA! I also grew up in Oklahoma and lived there from 2nd grade up until I graduated high school. I became an atheist at 12 years old and it was very hard, I lost pretty much all my friends and my family freaked out, they are Puerto Rican. It wasn't until I moved to California that I met a black atheist and Hispanic atheists but we all have the same issues with our families, it's tough when they are so used to everyone being Christian and being an atheist is like being a devil worshiper. I hope Oklahoma is more progressive and open minded than they were back then, if not you can find a place to talk and be yourself here with us. Big Grin

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 08:30 PM
(18-05-2016 06:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My dad, who is interestingly enough one of the only people in my "real" life to ever give me grief over not believing in a god, recently within the last half year seems to have gone full antitheist or at least anti Christianity. He is black, and posts a WHOLE BUNCH on facebook about spiritualism, and how following the "white man's" religion is stupid. And meme's saying things like, "oh of course this book is all true, The people who ENSLAVED OUR ANCESTOR's said so!"

While this doesn't necessarily help you, it does offer a unique perspective on being a black non-Christian. I honestly never even though about it like that. It's interesting if you compare black Christianity to...Native American Christianity or something.

I often see black atheists online speak of their ostracization and difficulty finding common ground with their families or black friends, they often find each other online so thats good. One meme or quote that I see often is "Black Americans became slaves and Christians at the same time." I wish I could remember who said it orignally but it's a powerful statement.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
18-05-2016, 11:45 PM
(18-05-2016 04:22 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 12:46 AM)Lovenbutterflies Wrote:  Hi all. I'm a 22 year old student at Oklahoma State University. I live in the middle of the Bible Belt. I grew up in a strict, controlling and at time abusive Christian home. I was raised between pentacostal and southern baptist. I went to church from the time I could Remember. I also went to a Christian school and went to a Christian university. The Christian university helped me lose my fundamental beliefs. I stopped going to church 1.5 years ago. I used to calm myself a progressive Christian, but I've officially been an atheist for about a year. Some of my friends know I'm not a Christian, but freak out when I say I'm an atheist. . My parents have threatened to disown me over tattoos, piercings, dating some outside my race so I assume being an atheist would be included.... I have two tattoos that I hide just like I hide my atheism. I'm also black. While some may think this is irrelevant, but being a POC and atheist seems to make me feel so alone. I've even hAd a friend say I can't be atheist since I'm black. So that and living in the Bible Belt has caused me to feel lonely. I feel like I'm living a lie but I love my family and would hate to lose their support and love if I can prevent it. I've been listening to TTA podcasts recently and thought this forum would be a safe place to connect with people.

Welcome.

You're definitely not alone. Hug I don't live in the Bible belt, but I'm also an atheist who is black.

If you ever need to vent or ask questions, we're willing to listen.

Hello friend I am a Mexican atheist I hate all religions and all gods it's all bullshit. I was s catholic the christian so I know all their bullshit.
18-05-2016, 11:53 PM
(18-05-2016 08:30 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 06:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My dad, who is interestingly enough one of the only people in my "real" life to ever give me grief over not believing in a god, recently within the last half year seems to have gone full antitheist or at least anti Christianity. He is black, and posts a WHOLE BUNCH on facebook about spiritualism, and how following the "white man's" religion is stupid. And meme's saying things like, "oh of course this book is all true, The people who ENSLAVED OUR ANCESTOR's said so!"

While this doesn't necessarily help you, it does offer a unique perspective on being a black non-Christian. I honestly never even though about it like that. It's interesting if you compare black Christianity to...Native American Christianity or something.

I often see black atheists online speak of their ostracization and difficulty finding common ground with their families or black friends, they often find each other online so thats good. One meme or quote that I see often is "Black Americans became slaves and Christians at the same time." I wish I could remember who said it orignally but it's a powerful statement.

Makes sense especially for those enslaved who became christians. "Be loyal to your masters if they offend you forgive them. If they strike you on your left cheek give them also your right one. If they ask for your wives give them also your daughters" it's all bible bullshit. That's why I hate god he's an evil imperfect animal. The Bible never says we are inferior to him.
19-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-05-2016, 01:47 AM
Thank you all for your kind words Smile. Yes, religion is very ingrained in the black community. I am finding a community in Facebook groups though. And yes Oklahoma is as backwards as ever. :/
[+] 1 user Likes Lovenbutterflies's post
19-05-2016, 01:57 AM

The is the only meme kind of similar to what you're talking about that I could found.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes Lovenbutterflies's post
19-05-2016, 04:59 AM
Welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2016, 10:15 PM
(18-05-2016 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 01:05 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I didn't know they allowed Persons Of Colour to go to university in Oklahoma!

They make exceptions for athletes.
And, as we all know black people make amazing athletes, are great dancers and are just genuinely cool.

Don't know what's up with the black folk but many of them are just truly amazing.
20-05-2016, 05:00 AM
(18-05-2016 12:46 AM)Lovenbutterflies Wrote:  While some may think this is irrelevant, but being a POC and atheist seems to make me feel so alone.
i seriously thought at first. What does being black have to do with being a Point Of Contact Big Grin First time I see POC in a different context but work Big Grin

Anyway welcome to this crazy place. Maybe you can find some people to help you with your situation here or at least get pointed in a helpful direction.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -