Escaping the Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 10:01 PM
RE: Escaping the Mormons
Welcome to the forum. That's an impressively terrifying introduction.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Wow. That's horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through all that needless trauma. I extend a very warm welcome to you.

There is a Personal Issues and Support section of the forum if you need to talk more about your experience.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-12-2016, 11:36 PM
Sad how horrible that you had to endure that.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
11-12-2016, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 05:13 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
My father was, thankfully, not a violent man by nature-- he did it because he was told that's What a Man Does™. But all the other elements were there in my fundamentalist Southern Baptist upbringing. [Edit to Add: I was frequently beaten, to the point some of my church elders actually had to intervene, when I wouldn't automatically obey without question, or wouldn't behave like a proper Christian kid by asking too many questions in church or Sunday School, and embarrassing my parents.] We had a TV with no cable or antenna, to prevent Satan from bringing "The World" into our home. She tried to be a "stay at home mom", as the religion insisted was proper, but she met dad at college, already had a degree, and dad finally "allowed her" to get a job when being intellectually idle for the first five years of her life (and mine) almost drove her insane... literally.

I was sent to Christian schools rather than being homeschooled, however, because my mom became (ironically) a public school teacher, with no time to home school us. (After I left home and my religion at 17, she wound up getting her PhD and becoming a theater professor at a Christian private university.) And to this day, she can't spend a dollar without checking with the Head of the Household.

You're so right about the nature of Patriarchy and what it means to human beings... and its why these religions designed not only to endorse but to enshrine it make me sick.

You will see many, many tales of people psychologically damaged by fundamentalist religions. And you will hear the tales of survival and escape. You're among friends. Welcome to TTA.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-12-2016, 07:55 AM
G'day fhqwhgads, and welcome. Smile

And thanks for telling us your horrific story in such detail mate. I'm so glad you came out the other side in one piece, despite your parents' terrible upbringing (or woeful excuse for same).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Thank God (In a manner of speaking of course) you survived and got your PhD, I wonder if I'd survived such treatment.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
13-12-2016, 11:01 AM
(10-12-2016 04:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I first mistook the title of this thread as "Escaped the Morons."

Don't you know that's not possible? They are everywhere!!! ;}

(10-12-2016 08:33 AM)Warts And All Wrote:  I've known people who waited twenty years to be able to talk about such horrible experiences, most of them war veterans. You are a credit to humanity. Thanks for sharing.

Well, it has been almost 20 years. And you always hope that civilization will keep moving in a better direction, keep getting more civilized, but sometimes it can disappoint you. Right now, it feels like in many ways the US is getting less civilized and not more. And since domestic violence follows that trend of decivilization, I feel more and more that this is a topic that needs to be discussed in society, people need to talk about this.

(11-12-2016 05:07 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You're so right about the nature of Patriarchy and what it means to human beings... and its why these religions designed not only to endorse but to enshrine it make me sick.

You will see many, many tales of people psychologically damaged by fundamentalist religions. And you will hear the tales of survival and escape. You're among friends. Welcome to TTA.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes from everyone. I know a lot of horrible stuff has happened in the name of Christianity (or other forms of mono-theism). I know this kind of thing probably still happens way too often and I know some probably have had it even worse; and it's like 2016, which kind of bothers me. I guess if no one ever speaks out then the problems won't go away, so it is probably very important that we all speak out about this kind of thing. Because, I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of living in a world where people spend their childhoods in actual mortal fear. Not to mention the brainwashing and anti-science movements it produces, but largely just a world of people who grew up thinking that violence is "just the way the world is so stop crying or I'll give you a reason to cry". These are the people that are making the world a worse place to live in so many ways I really can't number them.

I for one say, it is time for this insanity to stop. It's time to be civilized in this here civilization.

Thanks again for your welcomes!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like fhqwhgads's post
13-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm so sorry you went through all of that...you have great perseverance.

I hate what religion can do to people. It can make good people think and do wretched things, and gives wretched people license to do their wretched things with no repercussions.

I agree, this sort of thing needs to be shared more. I'm glad you were able to escape.

Hug

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
13-12-2016, 01:21 PM
The only thing worse than going through everything you did to get away from the Morons would have been remaining there. Still, that's a lot of trauma. Be gentle with yourself. Hope you like it on this side of the divide and never have regrets.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
13-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Welcome. I'm glad you got out, but I hate what you had to indoor. Glad to have you among us. We had anot her Mormon on here, haven't seen her for a while (thankfully) I would have loved to see the conversation between a current a former member.

Oh well sa' la vee.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin