Escaping the world and finding a new one

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Escaping the world and finding a new one
As I become more and more prepared to leave Missouri and head to Canada, I'm beginning to wonder what things I should do before I leave. I have always lived a life without regrets, but I might regret forgetting something before I leave forever.
I'm just wondering what types of things those of you who have also made distant moves did before going. What types of things you realized after leaving that you should have done. I'm kind of making a list and the top one is trying to get back together with my Dad's family I haven't talked to them in 10 years. Thanks for the replies if there are any. I'm just excited and concerned about the huge change I'll be doing as soon as I can.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM

RE: Escaping the world and finding a new one
I was 27 when I last looked back at my fully furnished Condo in Eastern Europe and knew that I would never see it again. I had one suitcase with me and my university diploma. I was young, excited, looking forward to a big adventure and I knew that everything I left behind was my exit ticket from suppression by the state and isolation from the world.

I have never had any regrets. I made my way to Canada and I was welcome with open arms. There was so much goodwill and help, I was almost overwhelmed with kindness. That was in the early seventies and life was a lot easier then. I had 2 job offers in 2 weeks, had my own apartment within a month and the adventure began.
I guess I was luckier than most but most of my newly immigrated friends were lucky too at the time.

My advice: if you don’t have to, don’t burn any bridges, you may need them later. After a few months you will find that you have arrived to a much more relaxed, more live-and-let-live society here. Small towns are usually a lot more laid back and relaxed than big cities and most of the folks around the small town nearby where I live are just simply marvelous.

I have a friend newly immigrated from the US and he complains a lot about things being more expensive here, red tape being frustrating, people being less passionate about political issues, but he enjoys the security of our social services and his son felt right at home in his new school.

Whether you will feel happy or disappointed will depend on how realistic your expectations are.
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Well I've been to Montreal for a while and seen the basic factors, but Lavalle will not be Montreal. I grew up half city half country anyway though so I'm used to most things. Thanks for the inspiring words and you lucky Zatamon you got to leave a whole year before me =p. I should be gone well before I turn 29.

Also most of the bridges I've burned have to do with a guy who used to exist named Darren. Well he never really existed but a lot of people I know thought he did.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2011 09:52 PM by Peterkin.)
You will be able to visit Missouri from time to time, so i guess leaving doesn't have to be a huge wrench. In fact, you don't even have to prepare for an alien landscape: Quebec is mostly big hills and trees, more trees and some bigger hills behind those, and a river and then another small mountain with trees on. (Fantastic in the autumn!)
Even so, i would go and spend a little time at all my favourite places, take mental (and actual) photos.

Obviously, you will have done all things official, collected documents, closed accounts, made sure they erased the passwords and shredded the copies.

Avoid having anything - papers or property - sent after you, if at all possible. Things go wrong with storage and shipping; things get lost and damaged. I also wouldn't leave behind personal belongings, like clothes, books, artwork, notebooks, etc. that i would be uncomfortable imagining in unsympathetic hands; better to destroy or disperse those items.
Oh yeah - turn off the gas.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I really just plan on not coming back =p I'd prefer not dealing with the past all too often. Better to handle it now than after I leave. I'm still working on some of the paperwork stuff and I'm not sure what I'll do about things like my bank account yet. I have a few months to figure it all out though =p and I have storage space for everything I don't take if I might want it later. One of the major concerns is seeing what animal air travel entails.

But I'm more asking about things to do where I am than preparation for a move. There's always something you forget =p

01-09-2011, 10:43 PM
[Image: reset-button.jpg]
Hit the big red button!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
01-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I think i should consult a few advisors before heeding your advice observer =p

01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
When I left Michigan for Colorado, I traveled around the area taking pictures and spent hours scanning old family photos. Now I have a huge album of photos, and gigabytes of hard drive space devoted to "the old country." I didn't think I would get as home sick as I did, so it was nice that I had a computer filled with memories for those moments.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Take photos. Photos of places and people- houses you grew up in, parks you'd visit, dogs- wait, cats! Tongue - you've loved, things like that. Even when our past is wished to be left behind, it's still a piece of who we've become and photos can help that piece to be whole. Smile
02-09-2011, 02:38 AM
(01-09-2011 10:43 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
[Image: reset-button.jpg]
Hit the big red button!

I hit the button. It did nothing Sad

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]