Essential oils

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
14-12-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: Essential oils
There isn't any proper research on most of them so the conversation is mute. We don't know for the most part.

We do know that eucalyptus and mint (menthol) are widely used in over the counter cough and cold meds - and they do work. Get some eucalyptus oil and use instead of Vick's Vaporub - it works better at clearing your sinuses. Drink some strong mint tea with lemon and honey and your cough will subside, same as with cough drops which contain the same. Cough drops are just more convenient when you're out and about. The tea works better because it is hot.

The rest of them - we don't really know. I do use Aloe right from a house plant for bites, scratches and rashes. Works for me. It is also widely used in skin care products.

So, some of them are proven to work for certain things. Most are not. It doesn't really matter, as long as no one relies on them to fix any serious issues. That's where the woo starts. Belief in the unproven.

Meanwhile, enjoy the scents. Some smell just lovely, puts you in a better mood.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 11:30 AM
One of my clients bought me some peppermint oil for my stomach ulcer. She told me 3 or 4 drops in water would provide immediate relief. I don't know much about it, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.

Then she told me I could get the same benefits if I simply rubbed in on my abdomen, at which point my bullshit meter started beeping, and now I'm unsure about the whole thing.

As others have said, "stuff interacts." I would just say that if it sounds like bullshit, be wary. As usual.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2014, 10:53 AM
(15-12-2014 11:30 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  One of my clients bought me some peppermint oil for my stomach ulcer. She told me 3 or 4 drops in water would provide immediate relief. I don't know much about it, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.

Then she told me I could get the same benefits if I simply rubbed in on my abdomen, at which point my bullshit meter started beeping, and now I'm unsure about the whole thing.

As others have said, "stuff interacts." I would just say that if it sounds like bullshit, be wary. As usual.

Peppermint tea and chamomile tea both settle the stomach. I have no idea if the mint in the form of oil works. But I do know you'd have to ingest it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-12-2014, 03:34 AM
(13-12-2014 07:56 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Yes they are very real. They are our bodily fluids and communists like the late President Truman want to corrupt the purity of essence of free Westerners with water fluoridation.

[Image: tumblr_m0cqdox7nJ1rq535ko1_500.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
17-12-2014, 04:20 AM
(13-12-2014 08:51 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 07:56 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Yes they are very real. They are our bodily fluids and communists like the late President Truman want to corrupt the purity of essence of free Westerners with water fluoridation.

This is what I mean. I don't get it. I don't know if you're serious or not.

(17-12-2014 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

[Image: tumblr_m0cqdox7nJ1rq535ko1_500.png]

It's a reference to the movie "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" by the legendary Stanley Kubrick. It's an outstanding film that I watched for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-04-2015, 10:36 PM
It would appear The FDA is calling out Young Living essential oils. I'm glad to see something maybe happening.

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActi...416023.htm
18-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Essential Oils as medicine is total bullshit. It's woo and I disagree these parties are harmless fun. They can be, but the sale of this crap requires a sufficient number of people to actually believe this stuff works. The ignorance of adults is doesn't bother me, but it's often their children who pay the price.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
18-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Lets do a real time experiment, you ladies can buy the oils, and I will ...um...make them "essential" Cool

look ma, no hands

[Image: 2vbm0wn.jpg]

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

i kid i kid Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I use essential oils....

10w-30 convetional for the car and 0w-40 synthetic for the bike.

They're very essential.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post