Estates and wills, tales of woe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Estates and wills, tales of woe
I've wanted to devote a thread to this subject for a long time. When my dad died seven years ago the estate , the will and the funeral was so stressful that I got online at the time to see if someone had a web site or a blog created just for those going through this special kind of hell. There didn't seem to be one.

I'm not talking about legal advice. There's plenty of online legal advice. I'm talking about just a place to let all the frustration out and bitch about the family fighting that ensues over wills and estates.

And there doesn't need to be hundreds of thousands of dollars involved for families to start shooting the evil eye at each other, or mansions full of Picassos, Van Gogh's and Louis the XV chairs. Families will fight over a will with a measly $300 or even less.

Soooooo. With that in mind I'd love to hear if any of you have any stories regarding wills and estates.

I might start off mentioning that my church going, ultra Christian, sister hasn't spoken to me in 7 years. Not since my father died. And the story that goes with it is quite an ear full, which I will expand on later when I'm not so tired.

Anyone want to jump in?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2015, 09:25 PM
RE: Estates and wills, tales of woe
They are even more "fun" when you have an estranged sibling who hasn't spoken to anyone in the family in over 15 years but they are still legally an heir.
I don't really care what happens to the $300 (if we're lucky), but my sister is determined to keep one brother out of it if it kills her.

I let those troubles with him go years ago.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Sure, why not?

Wife’s grandmother dies. She has two daughters, my wife’s mother and her sister.

Grandma didn’t have much, her small house, furniture and nick nacks.

My wife’s parents subsidized her income and bought her stuff, other sister never sent money.

No will.

We all gather at the house several days after her funeral to sort and divide. At the house are: both sisters and their husbands, the four grandkids (one of those being my wife) and me.

Attic is full of shit, it’s hot, no one volunteers to help me up there so I’m sweating my balls off handing stuff down to my wife and one of the cousins, in the meantime my MIL catches her sister pocketing jewelry while her husband sits down and begins a spreadsheet of every fucking item in the house including all the stuff my in-laws have bought and paid for throughout the years like the TV, bed, couch etc. because, of course, they want half the money when it sells.

That was 12 years ago. The two sisters (MIL and her thieving sibling) haven’t spoken since.

Ugh.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-01-2015, 09:45 PM
My uncle had pretty much controlled every aspect of my grandmothers life. Grandma dies. Uncle wants to stake a claim to everything, not even let my Dad in the house. They fight (and the police might have been called at one point). They change the locks as soon as one person leaves, they fought (I kid you not) over the dust in the dustpan that was swept up one day.

Sigh. fucking families.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
21-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Well, so here's my story.

My father lived two hours away in the Oregon desert, a place that my sister hated go to because she hated the drive and hated the desert. But my husband and I would pack up our two little kids and go over to visit, take him out to dinner, clean up his little place and just be generally useful. In the fifteen years he lived there I can count on one hand the times she went to see him. Oh, I'll be generous, she might have gone over to visit six times, so one hand plus one finger on the other hand.

So when my dad turns 92 I get power of attorney, he's having troubles paying bills and such. Two years later in December my dad dies. I have the flu so my husband goes over Mt Hood in a blinding blizzard to make funeral arrangements. My sister gets wind of this and phones the police to have him arrested for trespassing. Unfortunately for my sister the police are busy with blizzard accidents.

My father didn't have a will so my sister accuses my husband of stealing stuff. My dad had nothing but cheap K Mart furniture and old knick-knacks.

To make a long story short, my sister hasn't spoken to me in seven years and cut herself off of everyone in the family. She hasn't even spoken to her only grown child in 10 years so I'm in good company.

We didn't have a funeral per se. My brothers and I took his ashes and scattered then near the Columbia river five months later. My sister was absent.

I'm amazed and how often I hear about people not speaking to each other after funerals and wills.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-01-2015, 10:51 PM
I know a guy at the hospital. His ex-wife's boyfriend (the ex and her new boyfriend lived together) murdered her. Wrapped up her body, and put it in the garage. Eventually the police found her, and arrested him. While everyone was at the funeral, the murderer's family cleaned out the house including taking everything of hers. I've always thought that was the lowest of the low things I'd ever heard, or could possibly imagine.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-01-2015, 11:03 PM
When my Grandma died, she left a broken television from the seventies. The tv had a "lifetime guarantee". My aunt, who happens to be batshit insane for various reasons, wanted to try and get a free new one from the company.
21-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Nothing fucks up a family more or faster than money....doessn't have to be a lot of money.

Husband's family. His mom's parents took care of her dad's dad (her grandfather) Then a cousin offered them a respite for a couple or weeks. He died while at their house. Then they tried to say they deserved all his money $800. They even hired a lawyer and sued because he lived with them when he died.

But still. He was there for less than 2 weeks and had lived with his son for years before that.

But it's faaaaamily...so the money was split 50/50 Facepalm even if they never spoke again.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-01-2015, 12:08 AM
(21-01-2015 11:03 PM)DeadChannel Wrote:  When my Grandma died, she left a broken television from the seventies. The tv had a "lifetime guarantee". My aunt, who happens to be batshit insane for various reasons, wanted to try and get a free new one from the company.

I've got a story...

In 1963 my husband's aunt bought a washing machine at Sears. At the time they said if she paid $20 bucks a year they would fix it for free or replace it.

I'm not shitting you in 2014 she got a new washer because Sears finally gave up trying to fix her old one.

She'd been paying $20 bucks a year for 51 years.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-01-2015, 12:58 AM
(22-01-2015 12:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-01-2015 11:03 PM)DeadChannel Wrote:  When my Grandma died, she left a broken television from the seventies. The tv had a "lifetime guarantee". My aunt, who happens to be batshit insane for various reasons, wanted to try and get a free new one from the company.

I've got a story...

In 1963 my husband's aunt bought a washing machine at Sears. At the time they said if she paid $20 bucks a year they would fix it for free or replace it.

I'm not shitting you in 2014 she got a new washer because Sears finally gave up trying to fix her old one.

She'd been paying $20 bucks a year for 51 years.

I'm just gonna pop into this thread to say:

That is fucking awesome.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.