Eternal Consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Eternal Consciousness
For the longest time, I swore I was the only person who held this opinion, and I have to know if anyone else feels the same way:

For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

I'm not just talking eternal punishment, but eternal life in Heaven too. Seriously, eternity is a LONG-ASS TIME. If I thought about it, the concept of being conscious FOREVER scared me, like, instant-panic-attack scared me.

To me, Heaven and Hell had no difference at that point. Sure it'd be nice to see my loved ones again, but NOTHING can be good for ETERNITY. Eventually, it seems like eternal bliss and eternal torture would be the same thing.

Even when I was a Christian, I desperately hoped that God would give me the option of just ceasing consciousness. Then and today, I really just want there to be nothingness when I die.

The idea of being conscious for 300 trillion years doesn't faze me at all. I could walk from one end of the universe to the other, play every video game ever, read every book ever written, and still have time to spare. But that is finite at least.

My family/friends in the church NEVER understood this. They always told me "God has made it so you'll be happy, so don't worry", and somehow the idea of being FORCIBLY HAPPY for eternity goes from just scary to scary and really creepy. That sounds like being possessed to me, having no control over your thoughts and feelings but still being conscious, forEVER?

Has anyone else thought about this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jasozz's post
02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Eternal Consciousness
Not to be supportive of xtian superstition (after all, it doesn't corner the market on eternity claims), but, say, if we were able to extend life to eternity or even a couple of hundred or a thousand years even, I could find plenty to do on my own to keep me happy and occupied.

Life's only as boring as you make it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah, your mind kinds of breaks down trying to do actually conceptualize it. I remembered thinking about that with hell, and just realizing that it would never end. Other than that, I think I just sort of jumped on board, since it was supposed to be "how things worked", so I didn't care that it didn't make sense.

I do rather like Bart Simpson's constant questioning of hell in Sunday school. I distinctly remember him asking that if it lasted forever, wouldn't you eventually get used to it? I find the concept of heaven and hell eventually becoming indistinguishable very entertaining.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
(02-12-2013 01:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Not to be supportive of xtian superstition (after all, it doesn't corner the market on eternity claims), but, say, if we were able to extend life to eternity or even a couple of hundred or a thousand years even, I could find plenty to do on my own to keep me happy and occupied.

Life's only as boring as you make it.

Yeah, I understand if I had like, 500,000 years of time, sure, you could potentially fill that timespan. You could POTENTIALLY fill ANY timespan as long as it were finite.

The concept of INFINITE CONSCIOUSNESS though, it is impossible to fill a infinite span of time with a finite number of things to do.

That's what scared me.

Also, yes, its pretty weird to think that heaven and hell, to a point, are just eternal dwellings. You'd have to get used to both eventually.
02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

Yes. I'm already bored as fuck after 50 years. No opt-out option scares the shit outta Girly.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Hey Jasozz, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ntolerable

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 02:11 PM
(02-12-2013 02:05 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hey Jasozz, you might find this thread interesting:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ntolerable

Interesting thoughts, definitely, but that's also a look at Eternal Life on Earth, as opposed to like, eternity worshipping god. That's more akin to reincarnation imo, just being born again as a new human, which honestly wouldn't be intolerable, since you'd have no recollection of existing prior.

As a Christian, an hour of church a week was boring enough. I could never connect or feel any kind of compulsion to go to church. I can't even imagine spending a year worshipping god. Let alone eternity.
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

No. Around about 100 years of life (or before), humans die. I was never raised in any belief of eternity or eternal afterlife so by the time I learned about it, I already understood it to be an impossibility.

(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  My family/friends in the church NEVER understood this. They always told me "God has made it so you'll be happy, so don't worry", and somehow the idea of being FORCIBLY HAPPY for eternity goes from just scary to scary and really creepy. That sounds like being possessed to me, having no control over your thoughts and feelings but still being conscious, forEVER?

Very creepy and just plain sad. Imagine how incapable your believing friends and family members must feel; they must feel as if they currently have no control over their thoughts and feelings. They are godbots.

(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  Has anyone else thought about this?

Well, I have now. Oh, if only I'd waited to read this after work ... so I could drink heavily. Dodgy and I don't mean coffee.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
02-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think the link to the other thread was "eternal life on earth", but whatev, hope you enjoyed it haha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-12-2013, 02:34 PM
(02-12-2013 02:29 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I don't think the link to the other thread was "eternal life on earth", but whatev, hope you enjoyed it haha.

The thread wasn't no, but most of the responses were along those lines.

It was a good read either way, most people said they would take eternal life ONLY if they had an opt-out option at any time.