Eternal Consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
RE: Eternal Consciousness
(02-12-2013 01:46 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 01:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Not to be supportive of xtian superstition (after all, it doesn't corner the market on eternity claims), but, say, if we were able to extend life to eternity or even a couple of hundred or a thousand years even, I could find plenty to do on my own to keep me happy and occupied.

Life's only as boring as you make it.

Yeah, I understand if I had like, 500,000 years of time, sure, you could potentially fill that timespan. You could POTENTIALLY fill ANY timespan as long as it were finite.

The concept of INFINITE CONSCIOUSNESS though, it is impossible to fill a infinite span of time with a finite number of things to do.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that the number of things we can dream up to do are finite.

Quote:That's what scared me.

What gave me that sinking feeling was the Time/Life books pictures that attempt to depict the size of the universe. Here's earth, here's earth in the solar system, here's the solar system among the nearest stars, the galaxy, the near galaxies, etc...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
(02-12-2013 02:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

Yes. I'm already bored as fuck after 50 years. No opt-out option scares the shit outta Girly.

Take up a musical instrument or twelve. Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
The concept of Eternal Consciousness was thoroughly proven in HAH Guru Padmakumar's essay.
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
(02-12-2013 03:01 PM)ALMASSAH Wrote:  The concept of Eternal Consciousness was thoroughly proven in HAH Guru Padmakumar's essay.

Too bad you need some go between and can't just figure out how to believe shit on your own. Drinking Beverage Weak.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
(02-12-2013 03:06 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 03:01 PM)ALMASSAH Wrote:  The concept of Eternal Consciousness was thoroughly proven in HAH Guru Padmakumar's essay.

Too bad you need some go between and can't just figure out how to believe shit on your own. Drinking Beverage Weak.

(02-12-2013 02:38 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 02:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes. I'm already bored as fuck after 50 years. No opt-out option scares the shit outta Girly.

Take up a musical instrument or twelve. Thumbsup

Got no talent for it. Only talent I got is programming devices to do what I say. Oh and I can lift big fucking rocks off the ground. That's it. Can't even draw a decent stick figure. ... If there ain't a keyboard, Girly don't have a clue what to do. ManlyGirl takes care of that shit.

#sigh
02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  For the longest time, I swore I was the only person who held this opinion, and I have to know if anyone else feels the same way:

For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

I'm not just talking eternal punishment, but eternal life in Heaven too. Seriously, eternity is a LONG-ASS TIME. If I thought about it, the concept of being conscious FOREVER scared me, like, instant-panic-attack scared me.

To me, Heaven and Hell had no difference at that point. Sure it'd be nice to see my loved ones again, but NOTHING can be good for ETERNITY. Eventually, it seems like eternal bliss and eternal torture would be the same thing.

Even when I was a Christian, I desperately hoped that God would give me the option of just ceasing consciousness. Then and today, I really just want there to be nothingness when I die.

The idea of being conscious for 300 trillion years doesn't faze me at all. I could walk from one end of the universe to the other, play every video game ever, read every book ever written, and still have time to spare. But that is finite at least.

My family/friends in the church NEVER understood this. They always told me "God has made it so you'll be happy, so don't worry", and somehow the idea of being FORCIBLY HAPPY for eternity goes from just scary to scary and really creepy. That sounds like being possessed to me, having no control over your thoughts and feelings but still being conscious, forEVER?

Has anyone else thought about this?
In my Christian days, I never really thought about it. I was told heaven is pure bliss and so I figured I'd be completely happy for eternity. What was not to like about it? However, after I became an atheist, I thought more about it. God is so obsessed with being worshiped, surely eternity would be spent on ones knees. Furthermore, loved ones might be in hell. What kind of "heaven" would that be? The only way I see God overcoming those limitations would be to put us in a drugged-like state of mind where we become constantly happy, endlessly smiling, air-heads. No thanks! No

But fortunately, it's all BS anyway. Cool

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
S-u-u-u-u-r-e it was... Drinking Beverage

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
(02-12-2013 01:05 PM)Jasozz Wrote:  For the longest time, I swore I was the only person who held this opinion, and I have to know if anyone else feels the same way:

For those of you who have ever been Christian or any other religion that held a believe of an eternal afterlife, did the idea of eternity scare the SHIT out of you?

I'm not just talking eternal punishment, but eternal life in Heaven too. Seriously, eternity is a LONG-ASS TIME. If I thought about it, the concept of being conscious FOREVER scared me, like, instant-panic-attack scared me.

To me, Heaven and Hell had no difference at that point. Sure it'd be nice to see my loved ones again, but NOTHING can be good for ETERNITY. Eventually, it seems like eternal bliss and eternal torture would be the same thing.

Even when I was a Christian, I desperately hoped that God would give me the option of just ceasing consciousness. Then and today, I really just want there to be nothingness when I die.

The idea of being conscious for 300 trillion years doesn't faze me at all. I could walk from one end of the universe to the other, play every video game ever, read every book ever written, and still have time to spare. But that is finite at least.

My family/friends in the church NEVER understood this. They always told me "God has made it so you'll be happy, so don't worry", and somehow the idea of being FORCIBLY HAPPY for eternity goes from just scary to scary and really creepy. That sounds like being possessed to me, having no control over your thoughts and feelings but still being conscious, forEVER?

I like living. I'd like to be around tomorrow. I look back at all the years have passed, and they just flew by, it seems.

Jesus said something quite reassuring about this very thing you mention, "Worry about today only. Tomorrow will have its own issues." One day at a time. That's what eternity is.
02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
(02-12-2013 03:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

I like living. I'd like to be around tomorrow. I look back at all the years have passed, and they just flew by, it seems.

Jesus said something quite reassuring about this very thing you mention, "Worry about today only. Tomorrow will have its own issues." One day at a time. That's what eternity is.

You're comparing your life of (<100) years to eternity. And true, tommorow's issues are what make life exciting, and what generates happiness in the overcoming of those issues. This doesn't exactly hold water when dealing with an eternity of worshipping God... there are no issues.

Of course, there's the idea of being in a constantly happy state, which to me is even creepier. If you're forcibly happy, then you're no longer really in control of yourself or your actions, so what's the fun in that?
02-12-2013, 04:18 PM
(02-12-2013 03:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I like living. I'd like to be around tomorrow. I look back at all the years have passed, and they just flew by, it seems.

How many you got under your wings again?

(02-12-2013 03:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus said something quite reassuring about this very thing you mention, "Worry about today only. Tomorrow will have its own issues." One day at a time. That's what eternity is.

The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand, bitch. Here and now. Immediate.

#sigh