Eternal Consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
RE: Eternal Consciousness
(02-12-2013 03:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 02:38 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Take up a musical instrument or twelve. Thumbsup

Got no talent for it. Only talent I got is programming devices to do what I say. Oh and I can lift big fucking rocks off the ground. That's it. Can't even draw a decent stick figure. ... If there ain't a keyboard, Girly don't have a clue what to do. ManlyGirl takes care of that shit.

LOl "Talent" is an illusion. It's a matter of applying oneself and practicing well and constantly. Which, if one has an eternity to do....Big Grin

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
(02-12-2013 03:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus said...

Who gives a fuck what your imaginary Jeebus supposedly said.

02-12-2013, 04:52 PM
(02-12-2013 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 03:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Got no talent for it. Only talent I got is programming devices to do what I say. Oh and I can lift big fucking rocks off the ground. That's it. Can't even draw a decent stick figure. ... If there ain't a keyboard, Girly don't have a clue what to do. ManlyGirl takes care of that shit.

LOl "Talent" is an illusion. It's a matter of applying oneself and practicing well and constantly. Which, if one has an eternity to do....Big Grin

Well, no. Talent is not an illusion. People have different innate capabilities and limits.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
02-12-2013, 05:56 PM
(02-12-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOl "Talent" is an illusion. It's a matter of applying oneself and practicing well and constantly. Which, if one has an eternity to do....Big Grin

Well, no. Talent is not an illusion. People have different innate capabilities and limits.

No point in Girly taking up a musical instrument.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
(02-12-2013 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. Talent is not an illusion. People have different innate capabilities and limits.

No point in Girly taking up a musical instrument.

Jeez, Chas, I had him and you blew it.

Sadcryface2

02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
(02-12-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOl "Talent" is an illusion. It's a matter of applying oneself and practicing well and constantly. Which, if one has an eternity to do....Big Grin

But seriously, those are factors, but the biggest factors are effort and tenacity. Really.

02-12-2013, 07:52 PM
(02-12-2013 07:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. Talent is not an illusion. People have different innate capabilities and limits.

But seriously, those are factors, but the biggest factors are effort and tenacity. Really.

Still disagree. I tried for years to learn to play guitar. Ain't gonna happen.

And I will never run a sub-three hour marathon or a four-minute mile.

I was a good hockey player with opportunity, but the NHL would never happen.

02-12-2013, 09:36 PM
(02-12-2013 07:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 07:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  But seriously, those are factors, but the biggest factors are effort and tenacity. Really.

Still disagree. I tried for years to learn to play guitar. Ain't gonna happen.

There are a lot better tools out there now to learn to play guitar. Guitar Pro (on Win/Mac/iOs/Android) can take a tab/midi/Powertab/GP file and display the tab and a fretboard display that shows the notes being played in real time, at the tempo you set. Tempo Slo-mo on iOs has really good sound fidelity down to 20% speed, and RiffStation lets you isolate instruments by their position left-to-right, plus slow down the tempo, though the sound gets muddied up far more than with Tempo Slow Mo. All of those have helped me unlock the fretboard. Played bass for years and years (plus other instruments) but improvising on the guitar just escaped me until I got ahold of these tools. Now I am as fluent on guitar as I have ever been on bass or any other instrument. The difference was the *quality* of the practice and the available tools.

Quote:And I will never run a sub-three hour marathon or a four-minute mile.

I'm thinking that what is considered "talent" in music may be different from "talent" wrt athletic ability.

02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
(02-12-2013 09:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 07:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Still disagree. I tried for years to learn to play guitar. Ain't gonna happen.

There are a lot better tools out there now to learn to play guitar. Guitar Pro (on Win/Mac/iOs/Android) can take a tab/midi/Powertab/GP file and display the tab and a fretboard display that shows the notes being played in real time, at the tempo you set. Tempo Slo-mo on iOs has really good sound fidelity down to 20% speed, and RiffStation lets you isolate instruments by their position left-to-right, plus slow down the tempo, though the sound gets muddied up far more than with Tempo Slow Mo. All of those have helped me unlock the fretboard. Played bass for years and years (plus other instruments) but improvising on the guitar just escaped me until I got ahold of these tools. Now I am as fluent on guitar as I have ever been on bass or any other instrument. The difference was the *quality* of the practice and the available tools.

Quote:And I will never run a sub-three hour marathon or a four-minute mile.

I'm thinking that what is considered "talent" in music may be different from "talent" wrt athletic ability.

They are all mind/brain/body capabilities and limitations.

My younger brother was a better hockey player than I. I was stronger, faster, had a harder shot; what he had was an awareness of the state of the game at any instant and the ability to see where it was going, giving him the ability to be in the right place, do the right thing. It was an innate talent.

02-12-2013, 09:51 PM
(02-12-2013 09:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 09:36 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  There are a lot better tools out there now to learn to play guitar. Guitar Pro (on Win/Mac/iOs/Android) can take a tab/midi/Powertab/GP file and display the tab and a fretboard display that shows the notes being played in real time, at the tempo you set. Tempo Slo-mo on iOs has really good sound fidelity down to 20% speed, and RiffStation lets you isolate instruments by their position left-to-right, plus slow down the tempo, though the sound gets muddied up far more than with Tempo Slow Mo. All of those have helped me unlock the fretboard. Played bass for years and years (plus other instruments) but improvising on the guitar just escaped me until I got ahold of these tools. Now I am as fluent on guitar as I have ever been on bass or any other instrument. The difference was the *quality* of the practice and the available tools.

They are all mind/brain/body capabilities and limitations.

My younger brother was a better hockey player than I. I was stronger, faster, had a harder shot; what he had was an awareness of the state of the game at any instant and the ability to see where it was going, giving him the ability to be in the right place, do the right thing. It was an innate talent.

If you believe you can't you are right.