Eternal Consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: Eternal Consciousness
(02-12-2013 09:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 09:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  They are all mind/brain/body capabilities and limitations.

My younger brother was a better hockey player than I. I was stronger, faster, had a harder shot; what he had was an awareness of the state of the game at any instant and the ability to see where it was going, giving him the ability to be in the right place, do the right thing. It was an innate talent.

If you believe you can't you are right.

Oh, give me a break, Pollyanna. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
(02-12-2013 07:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, no. Talent is not an illusion. People have different innate capabilities and limits.

But seriously, those are factors, but the biggest factors are effort and tenacity. Really.

Right, try tell my brother that the only thing keeping him from differentiating colors is his effort and tenacity, and not his genetics...

Or my cousin that it's the 'biggest factor' in his being in a wheelchair...

That that the reason I have astigmatism is from not trying hard enough...

Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Eternal life, no matter where it or what it would be, is (To me) the worst type of punishment. It used to blow my mind thinking about it and I was more afraid to die when I thought there was a Heaven. Confused
03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
I suppose I'm a firm believer when it comes to any after life discussions that I will simply do whatever I want to do.
If someone or something has the power to stop me or restrain my will, that remains to be seen.
Most christians set themselves up as slaves with god as their master. I will never understand this mentality.

Should I find an eternity of life in an after life, I'm ok with that, because for me, I have options. I have imagination and I'll have the will to do whatever I want. Eternity won't be an eternity. It will just be "the next life".

If I've lived 300 trillion lives before this one, the next 300 trillion doesn't bother me at all.
All that matters is the present. All that matters is who I am, how I treat others and the search for happiness throughout my life.

What has or will happen, is of no concern because I am the Captain of my Destiny
COD for life Tongue

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-12-2013, 12:35 AM
I think I'd get bored eventually. Once you've done everything....

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Eternity means you'd be able to do literally everything an infinite number of times... It'd take a long time to get bored, but you would do eventually, and then its an eternity of boredom.

Really, we mortals would simply like enough time to achieve our ambitions...

I suppose we should be glad that we can hope for a life of about 80 years... When for much of human history, the best you could hope for would be about 40.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2013, 01:44 AM
Really one of the main causes of boredom is that the dopamine receptors eventually become blocked. Using a christian understanding of heaven, when we receive our new bodies, god could change the mechanism in which we experience happiness and thus eliminate boredom

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
03-12-2013, 01:52 AM
(03-12-2013 01:44 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Really one of the main causes of boredom is that the dopamine receptors eventually become blocked. Using a christian understanding of heaven, when we receive our new bodies, god could change the mechanism in which we experience happiness and thus eliminate boredom

Which begs the question of why god didn't just do that in the first place.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-12-2013, 05:36 AM
(02-12-2013 04:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 03:55 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jesus said...

Who gives a fuck what your imaginary Jeebus supposedly said.

Considering that we are discussing in many ways a christian concept of heaven, what Jesus said would in fact be quite relevant to this conversation. Significantly more so then the contributions you have made thus far.

However, to be fair, that particular quote had little to do with the topic at hand as well, so maybe your half right?

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
03-12-2013, 05:41 AM
(03-12-2013 01:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 01:44 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Really one of the main causes of boredom is that the dopamine receptors eventually become blocked. Using a christian understanding of heaven, when we receive our new bodies, god could change the mechanism in which we experience happiness and thus eliminate boredom

Which begs the question of why god didn't just do that in the first place.

I definitely see what you mean, however, I think several arguments could be made to support temporary happiness as well as boredom.
Boredom allows us to become creative and try new things. It allows us to explore and all that jazz.
No means a definitive argument, but I'm just demonstrating that arguments do exist.

- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post