Eternal Consciousness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
RE: Eternal Consciousness
(03-12-2013 05:36 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Considering that we are discussing in many ways a christian concept of heaven, what Jesus said would in fact be quite relevant to this conversation.

How do you know that what you think Jesus said was actually uttered by Jesus?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
(03-12-2013 06:23 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 05:36 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Considering that we are discussing in many ways a christian concept of heaven, what Jesus said would in fact be quite relevant to this conversation.

How do you know that what you think Jesus said was actually uttered by Jesus?

Again this is a different topic for a different thread. If we are to proceed with an argument on whether the christian concept of heaven is good or not then we are assuming that the Christians are right. Otherwise there would be no point to this conversation. Since our only reference to what Jesus said is in the Bible we must assume it is true. For the purposes of this thread.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
(03-12-2013 05:41 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 01:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Which begs the question of why god didn't just do that in the first place.

I definitely see what you mean, however, I think several arguments could be made to support temporary happiness as well as boredom.
Boredom allows us to become creative and try new things. It allows us to explore and all that jazz.
No means a definitive argument, but I'm just demonstrating that arguments do exist.

The problem is however, that there are no answers to the questions it raises. All you can do is posit a conjecture, a guess; nothing is currently definitive.

Okay, so say we posit that we need boredom to drive us. Why couldn't he have made us with the drive without needing boredom? And back down the rabbit hole we go...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
(02-12-2013 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 09:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  If you believe you can't you are right.

Oh, give me a break, Pollyanna. Dodgy

One Break, Comin' Up, Eeyore.

[Image: eeyore.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
(03-12-2013 07:13 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Again this is a different topic for a different thread. If we are to proceed with an argument on whether the christian concept of heaven is good or not then we are assuming that the Christians are right. Otherwise there would be no point to this conversation. Since our only reference to what Jesus said is in the Bible we must assume it is true. For the purposes of this thread.
Way to dodge the question Tarzan!

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
(02-12-2013 10:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 07:21 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  But seriously, those are factors, but the biggest factors are effort and tenacity. Really.

Right, try tell my brother that the only thing keeping him from differentiating colors is his effort and tenacity, and not his genetics...

Or my cousin that it's the 'biggest factor' in his being in a wheelchair...

That that the reason I have astigmatism is from not trying hard enough...

Dodgy

[Image: straw-man.jpg]

03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
(03-12-2013 05:36 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 04:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Who gives a fuck what your imaginary Jeebus supposedly said.

Considering that we are discussing in many ways a christian concept of heaven, what Jesus said would in fact be quite relevant to this conversation.

OP specifically referred to all religions that hold an eternity view.

Quote:Significantly more so then the contributions you have made thus far.
Perhaps you meant "than". And you certainly didn't read my first post in this thread, moron.

Quote:However, to be fair, that particular quote had little to do with the topic at hand as well, so maybe your half right?

Perhaps you meant "you're". And yes, I WAS pointing out the gratuitous and irrelevant nature of your panderytizing quotes from your fairytale hero.

03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Mainly what I was looking for is everyone's PERSONAL thoughts about the concept of eternity. Honestly, eternity is different for every person.

Even the Bible is never incredibly specific on Heaven, mainly just making claims of worshiping God forever (no thanks) and mansions and roads of gold (which seems ironic, since the "beauty" of creation is a big thing with Christians, and the concept of Heaven doesn't really include a NATURAL world of trees and rivers and such.)

Really enjoying everyone's feedback, its interesting to see all the different takes on it.
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
(03-12-2013 10:52 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

OP specifically referred to all religions that hold an eternity view.

Quote:Significantly more so then the contributions you have made thus far.
Perhaps you meant "than". And you certainly didn't read my first post in this thread, moron.

Quote:However, to be fair, that particular quote had little to do with the topic at hand as well, so maybe your half right?

Perhaps you meant "you're". And yes, I WAS pointing out the gratuitous and irrelevant nature of your panderytizing quotes from your fairytale hero.

Panderytizing? Did you just complain about my spelling and then use a made up word. I have no idea what that word means and neither does Google or the Oxford Dictionary. Also Give me a break it was 6:30 in the morning and I hadn't slept at all that night, a few errors are bound to creep in.

Actually I thought your second post more insightful than your first. And really in terms of content, the Jesus quote and your post, were very similar. You said that there are an infinite realm of possibilities in which to entertain oneself, while the Jesus quote was to focus on each individual day. They are both based upon enjoying each activity by itself before moving on to the next.

And it is true he mentioned all religions with an eternity view, which I think, only includes the Jews, Muslims, Christians, Zoroastrians, possibly Sikhs, and several others whose numbers are mostly negligible. Islam and Christianity account for about 99% of the religions with an eternal view, both of which hold Jesus in high regard. As such it would be important to consider his words closely as what he says helps define 99% of the peoples Idea of heaven.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
(03-12-2013 10:25 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 07:13 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Again this is a different topic for a different thread. If we are to proceed with an argument on whether the christian concept of heaven is good or not then we are assuming that the Christians are right. Otherwise there would be no point to this conversation. Since our only reference to what Jesus said is in the Bible we must assume it is true. For the purposes of this thread.
Way to dodge the question Tarzan!

Really it doesn't matter what Jesus said since what influenced the way people view heaven was not what he said but what was written that he said. If he did say those things, Great we can move on. If he didn't say those things, it doesn't matter cause no one knows what he said and therefore he had very little effect upon how the concept of Heaven developed. We could have an entire thread dedicated to whether Jesus was even a real person or not and that is why I tried to doge the question. A thread does have a purpose and that is to find the answer to the original question postulated by the OP. Although wondering can be fun, it can interrupt a thread and often cause it to devolve into something else.
In the strictest sense the only answer I can give is, I don't know. I don't know whether Julius Caesar said "I came, I saw, I conquered", yet I take it on faith that he really said that. In many ways you must do this with historical writing, since infinite doubt would just lead to all ancient texts basically being useless.

- my friend Marc
[+] 2 users Like TarzanSmith's post