Eternal Torment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: Eternal Torment
(05-10-2016 08:33 AM)mlmooney Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's actually not true. At all.
(Most religionists, actually know very little detains about their own cults.)
Christian (mainstream) theology has always left room for honest dissent.
Catholic theology would say that if you honestly, (assuming a properly formed conscience), followed your conscience, you would not be damned.

Fundamentalists on the other hand, who labor under the false notion that somehow one can chose to believe something, may not agree. But American Fundamentalism is the minority, even in Christian camps.

^ This.

My husband is Catholic and said that according to the Pope I get to go to heaven simply because I am a good person regardless of me being an atheist.

Yes I've heard that too. Religions do evolve. The 21st century we have seen a lot of changes in the theist mind.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2016, 08:40 AM
(05-10-2016 08:34 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 08:27 AM)goldenarm Wrote:  Interesting. I thought most the church taught eternal torment though?

They do not. In fact I bet mainstream theology (as taught at Harvard, Fordham, Princeton etc) doesn't EVEN MENTION "hell" any more. It's passé. If you REALLY want to "get the goats" of the religionists, you can school them on the origins of the concept, and how the Hebrews (including St. Paul) did not even believe in immortality for everyone. It's a LATE occurring notion.

From here : http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid174798

(discussion of the Hebrew concept of an after-life) --->

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look

Interesting. I will definitely check it out.

" That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
05-10-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't know if you'll be able to access this as you're outside the UK but try if you can. It's an interesting discussion on Hell. Turns out it's associated only with those religions who are interested in selling you "salvation". In other words become one of us or else!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0038xb6

It's a threat. Pure and simple.

A bit like a gang of criminals paying you a visit and saying, "Nice place you got here. It'd be a shame if someone were to wreck it, but I'll tell you what....you join our "insurance programme" and we'll look after you.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
05-10-2016, 02:29 PM
(05-10-2016 10:28 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I don't know if you'll be able to access this as you're outside the UK but try if you can. It's an interesting discussion on Hell. Turns out it's associated only with those religions who are interested in selling you "salvation". In other words become one of us or else!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0038xb6

It's a threat. Pure and simple.

A bit like a gang of criminals paying you a visit and saying, "Nice place you got here. It'd be a shame if someone were to wreck it, but I'll tell you what....you join our "insurance programme" and we'll look after you.

Thanks! I will check it out.

06-10-2016, 06:53 AM
21st Century science does the same thing as 11th Century Christianity.

If you do not repent (purchase an electric car, cook with wood, etc.), you will cause mass extinction of our non-human relatives while irreversibly warming the planet.

Hell on Earth.
06-10-2016, 06:55 AM
(06-10-2016 06:53 AM)Walter Wrote:  21st Century science does the same thing as 11th Century Christianity.

If you do not repent (purchase an electric car, cook with wood, etc.), you will cause mass extinction of our non-human relatives while irreversibly warming the planet.

Hell on Earth.

Consider

Um...... perhaps a bit context please Walter?
06-10-2016, 10:12 AM
(06-10-2016 06:53 AM)Walter Wrote:  21st Century science does the same thing as 11th Century Christianity.

Hell on Earth.

Except for the teeny, tiny matter of evidence of the outcome. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2016, 10:15 AM
When I was a kid = I was forced to sit in church for hours on end -- and I heard about the "eternal torment"......

I figured being forced to sit there - was to get us used to it.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
(06-10-2016 10:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When I was a kid = I was forced to sit in church for hours on end -- and I heard about the "eternal torment"......

I figured being forced to sit there - was to get us used to it.......

Haha! Good one Wink