Eternal universe without Big Bang?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2013, 03:58 PM
RE: Eternal universe without Big Bang?
I'm very fond of the idea that our universe is eternal in the following sense.

Wikipedia Wrote:A cyclic model is any of several cosmological models in which the universe follows infinite, self-sustaining cycles. For example, the oscillating universe theory briefly considered by Albert Einstein in 1930 theorized a universe following an eternal series of oscillations, each beginning with a big bang and ending with a big crunch; in the interim, the universe would expand for a period of time before the gravitational attraction of matter causes it to collapse back in and undergo a bounce.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2013, 05:16 PM
(30-11-2013 03:45 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  ... always comes at an alarming rate...
... the Bang is usually quick, fast, and it's results are long and running all over...

Okay, then.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
30-11-2013, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 06:47 PM by Boysurroundedbymoms.)
(19-10-2013 03:36 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  The article may be bullshit, but the concept that the universe is eternal isn't. Even if we 'prove' the Big Bang beyond reasonable doubt, that wasn't the beginning. Before the Big Bang there was a small point that contained everything that comprises the universe. Even if you say "But, something from nothing". Well, there is no such thing as 'nothing'. Even this type of 'nothing' isn't truly nothing because it is comprised of energy, even without mass.

I'm no physicist, so I sure someone more educated than me can respond, but I am of the opinion that the universe has always been and always will be in some form.

It depends in how you define nothing. The idea of nothing (LIKE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING) might not even have been a thing, but the idea of "nothing" (no mass) is tenable.

Also, if TRUE nothingness existed, what's to say that IT COULDN'T have created something? After all, there are no rules when it comes to true nothingness.

I'm no physicist either, and since I have absolutely no evidence, I have no opinion on whether or not the universe was eternal. I can't assume it is, and I can't assume it's not, let's just wait to see if there is evidence.

(Probably won't be any)

By the way, I dug around and found this awesome gem that illustrates my point about nothingness more clearly: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-something
30-11-2013, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 06:36 PM by Boysurroundedbymoms.)
(30-11-2013 03:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm very fond of the idea that our universe is eternal in the following sense.

Wikipedia Wrote:A cyclic model is any of several cosmological models in which the universe follows infinite, self-sustaining cycles. For example, the oscillating universe theory briefly considered by Albert Einstein in 1930 theorized a universe following an eternal series of oscillations, each beginning with a big bang and ending with a big crunch; in the interim, the universe would expand for a period of time before the gravitational attraction of matter causes it to collapse back in and undergo a bounce.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model

What universe model (flat, open, closed) does that idea adhere to?

I thought the WMAP confirmed that the the universe we inhabit is of the flat model, and thus either the Big Freeze (heat death) or the Big Rip will be the end of the universe.

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fa...n_universe
30-11-2013, 06:50 PM
(30-11-2013 06:29 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  What universe model (flat, open, closed) does that idea adhere to?
As far as I can see, it assumes that the universe is closed.

(30-11-2013 06:29 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  I thought the WMAP confirmed that the the universe we inhabit is of the flat model, and thus either the Big Freeze (heat death) or the Big Rip will be the end of the universe.
It has indeed, but I'm fond of the idea nonetheless. Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-11-2013, 06:54 PM
(30-11-2013 06:50 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 06:29 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  What universe model (flat, open, closed) does that idea adhere to?
As far as I can see, it assumes that the universe is closed.

(30-11-2013 06:29 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  I thought the WMAP confirmed that the the universe we inhabit is of the flat model, and thus either the Big Freeze (heat death) or the Big Rip will be the end of the universe.
It has indeed, but I'm fond of the idea nonetheless. Sleepy

Ah, but that's the thing about science. No matter how awesome, elegant or fond of the idea you are, if it doesn't stand up to reality, scrutiny, or experiment -it's wrong.

Plus, I'm going to be long dead by the time the universe ends (hopefully) so I ain't even worried about it.
30-11-2013, 07:00 PM
(30-11-2013 06:54 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  Ah, but that's the thing about science. No matter how awesome, elegant or fond of the idea you are, if it doesn't stand up to reality, scrutiny, or experiment -it's wrong.
Well, yes, but then again, I never said that I think this idea is right, did I? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-11-2013, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 07:08 PM by Boysurroundedbymoms.)
(30-11-2013 07:00 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 06:54 PM)Boysurroundedbymoms Wrote:  Ah, but that's the thing about science. No matter how awesome, elegant or fond of the idea you are, if it doesn't stand up to reality, scrutiny, or experiment -it's wrong.
Well, yes, but then again, I never said that I think this idea is right, did I? Consider

True, but I never really made the claim you did. I was just illustrating a broader point. Tongue
02-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Our universe had a beginning and will eventually have an end in some form, that is fact from gathered evidence...

the multiverse, thats a different story.
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
(02-12-2013 12:23 PM)wardonis Wrote:  Our universe had a beginning and will eventually have an end in some form, that is fact from gathered evidence...

the multiverse, thats a different story.

Not really, can you elaborate?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious