Eternalism and Conscious Experience

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
RE: Eternalism and Conscious Experience
(01-09-2012 01:28 AM)dantoki Wrote:  Carnifex, this question is actually at the center of my research. I'm currently writing a longer thesis about it, but if you want I can send you a somewhat shorter paper on this question.

Consider

Yes please. Thumbsup

Leonardo da Vinci Wrote:While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.
Epicurus Wrote:Death means nothing to us...when we exist, death is not yet present, and when death is present, then we do not exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 05:31 PM
RE: Eternalism and Conscious Experience
(03-08-2012 01:27 PM)Carnifex Wrote:  Following this; since our human conscious experience of reality is one of a present instant, with each following moment "arriving" in our awareness, with the preceding instants only being vaguely retained in our memories - this continuing down the dusty road to death (with one final moment and then...nothing.); my question is that - if the past remains real - to what extent would our conscious experience exist after our death? Certainly those moments of our extant consciousness are still "there" in Eternalist models so, since our consciousness doesn't actually "go away" anywhere and still remains at a different point in time, would it seem to us that our conscious experience of reality just "restarts" once it comes to its (relative) "end"?

This is a very interesting topic, which I have thought about much the last couple of years.

If Eternalism is true, i.e. that the spacetime exist as a frozen block and I (i.e. my consciousness) is located between my birth (or maybe a little bit before?) and my death, then [undefined=undefined]yes[/undefined], in that case I do actually exist (tenselessly) between those two spacetime points. (Tautology). What happens after my death is not interesting from my consciousness point of view, because it does not exist there (it exist between my birth and death). To ask what happens after my death is like asking how I am doing in Moscow, when I am actually located in Scandinavia. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I just had a very surreal experience. germanyt 27 1,440 22-05-2012 01:33 AM
Last Post: Filox