Eternity and boredom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Eternity and boredom.
No idea where I'm stealing this from (with my luck I first read about it here), but I'm suffering insomnia and I'm bored, so!...

Is eternity torture no matter what?
Suppose you have books describing each experience you have. Each book is a trillion words (10^12). The words are drawn from a dictionary of a trillion words, which is vastly more than the entire English language, probably more than all words ever used in every language spoke in history. Supposing you have only one 'experience' per year. Then after 10^24 years you've done everything in every conceivable way so many times. By 10^400th year, wouldn't the mind be reduced to quivering jello? Torture by boredom. In which case, 'heaven' and 'hell' are just a matter of how long before the torture starts.

Thoughts on this? Should I avoid posting when I'm tired?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 07:00 AM
RE: Eternity and boredom.
Eternity doesn't exist.
Problem solved.
03-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Your absolutely right but that assumes a level of coherence that I haven't seen. I've seen the statement "Immortality is hell" posited to a couple of religious folk (and asked so myself on one memorable occasion) and their answers have been:
-Once somebody aquires sainthood all emotions are replaced with god's love. That is the only thing people experience in heaven.
-Our souls no longer normalize stimuli as that is a survival trait. Something that no longer serves a purpose once we're in heaven.
-Heaven never runs out of new things to because god did it.

Besides the obvious problems with those answers and giving them the benifit of the doubt; even if they're desirable states to exist in, the only way heaven is valueble is worthwhile is if people are souls and have bodies and then we are in some way fundamentally different in heaven then the person who reached heaven isn't the same person who died. Just something very much like that person with all the same memories.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
03-11-2014, 07:26 AM
(03-11-2014 07:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Eternity doesn't exist.
Problem solved.

Tired or not...this strikes on one of my 'deconversion' struggles today

Id actually be fine with eternity not existing, Its not really meshing with me, heaven never has, tbh. The bible states we get glorified bodies, and theres no pain, sorrow or tears in heaven. Well...Im a human and individual with emotions...and if someone who I dont like, or who has hurt me, makes it to heaven and I dont feel something ill with that...then I aint 'me'

If I aint me..then Id rather not exist...

Not to mention I dont wanna live terrified of a lake of fire

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
[+] 2 users Like WhatWasIThinking's post
03-11-2014, 07:30 AM
(03-11-2014 07:21 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Your absolutely right but that assumes a level of coherence that I haven't seen. I've seen the statement "Immortality is hell" posited to a couple of religious folk (and asked so myself on one memorable occasion) and their answers have been:
-Once somebody aquires sainthood all emotions are replaced with god's love. That is the only thing people experience in heaven.
-Our souls no longer normalize stimuli as that is a survival trait. Something that no longer serves a purpose once we're in heaven.
-Heaven never runs out of new things to because god did it.

Besides the obvious problems with those answers and giving them the benifit of the doubt; even if they're desirable states to exist in, the only way heaven is valueble is worthwhile is if people are souls and have bodies and then we are in some way fundamentally different in heaven then the person who reached heaven isn't the same person who died. Just something very much like that person with all the same memories.

Yes, the eternal automaton who constantly worships the iron age war god. Why wouldn't anyone want to experience that? No

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-11-2014, 07:31 AM
(03-11-2014 07:26 AM)WhatWasIThinking Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:00 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Eternity doesn't exist.
Problem solved.

Tired or not...this strikes on one of my 'deconversion' struggles today

Id actually be fine with eternity not existing, Its not really meshing with me, heaven never has, tbh. The bible states we get glorified bodies, and theres no pain, sorrow or tears in heaven. Well...Im a human and individual with emotions...and if someone who I dont like, or who has hurt me, makes it to heaven and I dont feel something ill with that...then I aint 'me'

Something else I thought about when I was getting deconverted was if one of my loved ones go to hell for eternity and I go to heaven, what kind of paradise is that?

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
03-11-2014, 07:36 AM
I don't know, I still think I would like to have the choice of keep on existing or not. If forced eternity is not good, forced death is not better either. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
03-11-2014, 07:40 AM
(03-11-2014 07:31 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:26 AM)WhatWasIThinking Wrote:  Tired or not...this strikes on one of my 'deconversion' struggles today

Something else I thought about when I was getting deconverted was if one of my loved ones go to hell for eternity and I go to heaven, what kind of paradise is that?

Exactly....
Ive heard many excuses for that one, the worst being "You wont know they arent there"
Well...that person just took away the meaning of my life in those few words..

Im concluding that it all amounts to I wont be who I am at all. All the investing, all the good, the bad..
All for nothing

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Guess I could always just have a wank...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
03-11-2014, 08:05 AM
(03-11-2014 07:41 AM)Sam Wrote:  Guess I could always just have a wank...

You will have. In every possible place, discovered by every entity in heaven, done starting at every second of every day of a year, having every potential ending... and any other factors you could name or imagine and beyond. Assuming your mind wasn't jello first. Tongue