Eternity and boredom got me thinking about something weird.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Eternity and boredom got me thinking about something weird.
im assuming that there are a finite amount of ways that atoms can be configured. That number might be incredibly large but still finite.
Imagine that this universe is infinite. I don't know if it is or not but I'm pretending for the moment that it is.
Does that mean that somewhere there'd have to be another place that's exactly the same as earth in every detail? Another me doing the exact thing I'm doing now. And is there another you reading this?
While you think about that I'll go smoke another one! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 01:45 PM
RE: Eternity and boredom got me thinking about something weird.
Some theoretical physicists have said exactly that...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2014, 03:23 PM
(04-11-2014 12:20 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  im assuming that there are a finite amount of ways that atoms can be configured. That number might be incredibly large but still finite.
Imagine that this universe is infinite. I don't know if it is or not but I'm pretending for the moment that it is.
Does that mean that somewhere there'd have to be another place that's exactly the same as earth in every detail? Another me doing the exact thing I'm doing now. And is there another you reading this?
While you think about that I'll go smoke another one! Smile
If there are an infinite universes in the multiverse (assuming our observable universe came into existence via a natural mechanism and that there are no barriers for other universes to come into existence via the same mechanism) then there are an infinite "you"s out there in the multiverse.
05-11-2014, 02:24 PM
(04-11-2014 01:45 PM)Sam Wrote:  Some theoretical physicists have said exactly that...

This very thing was talked about on a science show. I wish I could remember what it was. Maybe Nova on PBS?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
When you use your advanced engines to get to this other earth you're excited to meet yourself but when you land everyone welcomes you home!
05-11-2014, 03:25 PM
You should watch the TV series Fringe. You'd get a kick out of it.
05-11-2014, 04:28 PM
(05-11-2014 03:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You should watch the TV series Fringe. You'd get a kick out of it.

I actually did watch the first season. I don't remember much about it other than something about an alternate reality. I remember thinking it was good but I was also losing interest in TV around that time.
05-11-2014, 04:36 PM
(05-11-2014 04:28 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 03:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  You should watch the TV series Fringe. You'd get a kick out of it.

I actually did watch the first season. I don't remember much about it other than something about an alternate reality. I remember thinking it was good but I was also losing interest in TV around that time.

Ya, I can't remember where it happens but somewhere in the series they learn of multi-verse and there are more of themselves.