Eternity and boredom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 08:49 AM
RE: Eternity and boredom.
(03-11-2014 08:05 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:41 AM)Sam Wrote:  Guess I could always just have a wank...

You will have. In every possible place, discovered by every entity in heaven, done starting at every second of every day of a year, having every potential ending... and any other factors you could name or imagine and beyond. Assuming your mind wasn't jello first. Tongue

The ultimate, perfected wank!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 09:13 AM
(03-11-2014 08:05 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 07:41 AM)Sam Wrote:  Guess I could always just have a wank...

You will have. In every possible place, discovered by every entity in heaven, done starting at every second of every day of a year, having every potential ending... and any other factors you could name or imagine and beyond. Assuming your mind wasn't jello first. Tongue

Yeah, but I'd save it until I've watched every TV show ever, every movie and consumed all literature, and absorbed all human knowledge...

When there's nothing else left to do... At least I can still spank the monkey.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Fact: our brains do not accompany us to the afterlife. A simple autopsy confirms this. Based on this information, I can only assume that heaven is full of zombies.

The real problem with eternity is that it can have no beginning or end. Since we begin our tenure in the afterlife at a fixed point in time (after death), we cannot truly spend eternity there. We can only spend the rest of time there. The promise of eternity in heaven is false advertising at its worst Big Grin

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 2 users Like guitar_nut's post
03-11-2014, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 09:28 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(03-11-2014 06:56 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  No idea where I'm stealing this from (with my luck I first read about it here), but I'm suffering insomnia and I'm bored, so!...

Is eternity torture no matter what?
Suppose you have books describing each experience you have. Each book is a trillion words (10^12). The words are drawn from a dictionary of a trillion words, which is vastly more than the entire English language, probably more than all words ever used in every language spoke in history. Supposing you have only one 'experience' per year. Then after 10^24 years you've done everything in every conceivable way so many times. By 10^400th year, wouldn't the mind be reduced to quivering jello? Torture by boredom. In which case, 'heaven' and 'hell' are just a matter of how long before the torture starts.

Thoughts on this? Should I avoid posting when I'm tired?

I guess it depends on whether the universe is infinite or not. That, and I'm pretty sure that there's no limit to your imagination.
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
(03-11-2014 09:20 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Fact: our brains do not accompany us to the afterlife. A simple autopsy confirms this. Based on this information, I can only assume that heaven is full of zombies.

The real problem with eternity is that it can have no beginning or end. Since we begin our tenure in the afterlife at a fixed point in time (after death), we cannot truly spend eternity there. We can only spend the rest of time there. The promise of eternity in heaven is false advertising at its worst Big Grin

Except that heaven is supposed to be timeless which means there is no beginning or end there and never was or will be (because that would require time). Therefore those who arrive there will have had no beginning or end since that isn't be possible there. So that means people in heaven will have always existed and will always exist. In other words, they will be God. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
03-11-2014, 01:18 PM
(03-11-2014 01:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Except that heaven is supposed to be timeless which means there is no beginning or end there and never was or will be (because that would require time). Therefore those who arrive there will have had no beginning or end since that isn't be possible there. So that means people in heaven will have always existed and will always exist. In other words, they will be God. Tongue

You're on to something here. We can't even arrive there, since that event requires a fixed point in time. We are already in heaven and this judgement rumor is nothing but a scam. The Calvinists got it right!

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
03-11-2014, 01:25 PM
(03-11-2014 01:18 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:02 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Except that heaven is supposed to be timeless which means there is no beginning or end there and never was or will be (because that would require time). Therefore those who arrive there will have had no beginning or end since that isn't be possible there. So that means people in heaven will have always existed and will always exist. In other words, they will be God. Tongue

You're on to something here. We can't even arrive there, since that event requires a fixed point in time. We are already in heaven and this judgement rumor is nothing but a scam. The Calvinists got it right!

Holy crap, not only that, but that means we already are God! Big Grin

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm already bored. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
(03-11-2014 01:25 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 01:18 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  You're on to something here. We can't even arrive there, since that event requires a fixed point in time. We are already in heaven and this judgement rumor is nothing but a scam. The Calvinists got it right!

Holy crap, not only that, but that means we already are God! Big Grin

Halle fuckin' luyah!

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-11-2014, 08:29 PM
The idea of eternity in heaven, hell, or wherever, is mind bogglingly ridiculous.

If I had a choice between afterlife and a complete cessation of existence, I'm choosing the end. Any sane person would.
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post